Photo

Retro Studio: Wii U "great box to make games on." New game already in the works.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

The Wii U, from a technical standpoint, is a "powerhouse," Donkey Kong and Metroid Prime developer Retro Studios believes. Speaking with GameSpot editor Peter Brown recently, Retro Studios president and CEO Michael Kelbaugh said developers shouldn't brush the console aside over fears that it's under-powered.

"Unfortunately, the perception is that it's not a very powerful machine," Kelbaugh said about the Wii U. "That's just not true. It's a powerhouse. It's more than adequate to make great games on."

Kelbaugh went on to label the Wii U a "great box to make games on." Retro Studios' first project for the Wii U was Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, released last week. He said his team had to overcome a steep learning curve that came with transitioning from Wii to Wii U. But he was happy to face this challenge, as it meant his artists became "uncorked" and free from the "traditional limitations" they'd been under for so long with the original Wii.

Also in our interview, veteran Nintendo producer Kensuke Tanabe confirmed that Retro Studios is working on a new game, but he would not say anything more than that. This game has been in development for a few months now, as Retro wrapped work on Tropical Freeze in November and hasn't been sitting by idly, Kelbaugh assured us.

But what might the new game be? Last year, iconic Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto singled out Retro as a "high-priority" studio to make a new Metroid game, leading some to believe the Austin, Texas outfit is indeed working on the beloved franchise. Miyamoto has also said previously that it "could be possible" for Retro to work on a new Zelda. But Kelbaugh won't say.

http://www.gamespot....e/1100-6418032/

Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong Goes Bananas

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

tumblr_inline_mx6031qnSH1s8709f.gif

http://www.gamespot....e/1100-6418032/

Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong Goes Bananas

We will see concepts, or small teaser of this new game at e3... that will be about 6 months into devlopment at that point... Metroid. 

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

If it's Metroid, I'm all for it. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hopefully it's not another metroid.
I think they could do with moving on from just being the "metroid" studio.

Something in a similar vein might be nice though, a shooter or action game to appeal to children like call of duty or battlefield does.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Doesn't matter, we won't see it until 2016 by Retro's rate. 

pNgecl.gif

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yes Metroid. Gray Ginther on artwork. Also Prime series never concluded. Samus brother chased after her in the end of MP3

#7 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Doesn't matter, we won't see it until 2016 by Retro's rate.

Hopefully not. And with the studio being the size it is, it could be that they were working it while making DKTF. And hopefully not a Metroid, but if it is I'm still buying it

Oh, and he doesn't know what he's talking about. Wii U sucks. Its not powerful at all. SNES is obviously more powerful xD
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#8 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

POPULAR

After playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, I'll buy whatever they put out. No questions asked.

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

As for the first part, a first party is hardly going to say their console is weak.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

It better be Metroid.....

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#11 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

It better be Metroid.....

Better not be. Metroid is not going to save the Wii U, Retro should put all the mind and creativity into something awesome. 

Stupid Snowmads!

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

As for the first part, a first party is hardly going to say their console is weak.

Sega employees were complaining about DC. Tho it felt strong for them at first they ran into some bottle necks and were voicing concern over it.When Sony owned 20% Square Sakaguchi didn't care for PS2.

It happens 1st or second but no not very often.

Better not be. Metroid is not going to save the Wii U, Retro should put all the mind and creativity into something awesome. 

It better be metroid. they have one of the best artists around who's talent fits right with Metroid and they still need to finish the story.

#13 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

I don't want a Metroid, but having a Metroid wouldn't hurt. It could definitely prove that the Wii U is able to hold it's own.

Of course, so could other games.

Sega employees were complaining about DC. Tho it felt strong for them at first they ran into some bottle necks and were voicing concern over it.When Sony owned 20% Square Sakaguchi didn't care for PS2.

It happens 1st or second but no not very often.

It better be metroid. they have one of the best artists around who's talent fits right with Metroid and they still need to finish the story.

It's been a while, but isn't the story finished?

#14 Nedcone

Nedcone

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

No need for another Metroid, fans got 3 prime games, 1 trilogy, 1 Other M, 1 fushion, and 1 remake over the past decade.

It's only been 4 years since the last game, and if DKCR:TF was "too soon" this is even sooner.

No I'd rather see a new IP, or maybe even a retro (heh) revival of a series. 

#15 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

I think itll be another metroid. Wasnt there that little teaser on reggies clothes or something? I would rather have a new ip too tho.

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

It's been a while, but isn't the story finished?

Nope. End of 3 we see Samus rumored Brother ship chase after her

#17 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

I need to reply these games. And no Nintendo, I don't want HD REMAKES of Metroid lol

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hopefully it's not another metroid.
I think they could do with moving on from just being the "metroid" studio.

Something in a similar vein might be nice though, a shooter or action game to appeal to children like call of duty or battlefield does.

Thats not similar to metroid at all. Thats the exact opposite of metroid. Call of duty kids cant even figure out how to make metroid crawl.

Sounds like they might be working on a new ip by them talking about how much they like dk and metroid and how they would love to 'visit them again someday'...

By new IP I just mean not dk or metroid, not necessarily a new IP, though I would LOVE a new original IP from retro. Ill be happy just as ong as its a deep immersive adventure.

Samus doesnt have a brother, rumoured or otherwise, that was Sylux, overall awesomesauce badarse and my main in multiplayer on metroid hunters, in his stolen federation prototype ship, the Delano 7.

delano7andnotdelano7hj7.png
The ship was probably slightly tweaked because such a primitive design from the ds game would look bad on the wii, and likely to make the ship look more like Sylux's alt form.

200px-Lockjaw_mph_Artwork.png

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#19 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

It doesn't sound like it'll be metroid or donkey kong, quoting them here “We love working with Donkey Kong. It’s a great character. It’s a lot of fun. We love working with Metroid Prime, with Mario Kart; those are fun, fun games to work on. So, you know, you can’t lose,” he said. “Every one of those IPs have been a lot of fun to play with and work on and [we'd] love to come back to them sometime.”

The whole we'd love to come back to them sounds like it's not dk or metroid.

I personally would love a 3d donkey kong but sadly that's not happening :(

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#20 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

Thats not similar to metroid at all. Thats the exact opposite of metroid. Call of duty kids cant even figure out how to make metroid crawl.Sounds like they might be working on a new ip by them talking about how much they like dk and metroid and how they would love to 'visit them again someday'...By new IP I just mean not dk or metroid, not necessarily a new IP, though I would LOVE a new original IP from retro. Ill be happy just as ong as its a deep immersive adventure. Samus doesnt have a brother, rumoured or otherwise, that was Sylux, overall awesomesauce badarse and my main in multiplayer on metroid hunters, in his stolen federation prototype ship, the Delano 7.delano7andnotdelano7hj7.pngThe ship was probably slightly tweaked because such a primitive design from the ds game would look bad on the wii, and likely to make the ship look more like Sylux's alt form.200px-Lockjaw_mph_Artwork.png

Thanks I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of sylux when finishing the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!