Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

Nicalis founder Tyrone Rodriguez has criticised the Wii U GamePad on Twitter. Rodriguez says that the controller is vastly underused by developers and is therefore a waste of money when looking at the total cost of the Wii U to consumers.

http://mynintendonew...-wii-u-gamepad/

He's right. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freezes doesn't use this at all, did  Pikmin 3 use it beyond a map feature? Nintendo bragged about the second screen, but have yet to do anything damn innovative with it. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

Ok Sailtheseas. Also never heard of this guy

#3 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

All it has done is increase the cost of the Wii U. It adds nothing of any value, it's a pointless mandatory gimmick.

Also consumers don't want it, go on Ign or Gamespot and you will see that this is the case.

Ok Sailtheseas. Also never heard of this guy

Do you have a crush on me?

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

All it has done is increase the cost of the Wii U. It adds nothing of any value, it's a pointless mandatory gimmick.

Also consumers don't want it, go on Ign or Gamespot and you will see that this is the case.

Do you have a crush on me?

Mandatory gimmick yet devs are not forced to use the gamepad, proof seen in DKCTF. The only use is off tv play and to some, that is a nice feature to have. Also, I am sure Retro didn't feel DK was the type of game to use the gamepad in any innovative way as the game stayed true to it's roots in the controls scheme.

You do realize not all consumers go to gamespot or IGN right? 

I'm surprised you haven't said the DS/3DS is a pointless mandatory gimmick since it has two screens.... but since those systems have done quite well that is probably why you haven't.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Unlike you, I suppose, I use the gamepad most of the time when my family is watching TV. I just think the OffTV feature should be one of the highlights when promoting.

Edited by Lupaie, 05 March 2014 - 08:31 AM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#6 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Mandatory gimmick yet devs are not forced to use the gamepad, proof seen in DKCTF. The only use is off tv play and to some, that is a nice feature to have. Also, I am sure Retro didn't feel DK was the type of game to use the gamepad in any innovative way as the game stayed true to it's roots in the controls scheme.

I'm surprised you haven't said the DS/3DS is a pointless mandatory gimmick since it has two screens.... but since those systems have done quite well that is probably why you haven't.

It's mandatory for the end consumer. Also I've spoken out against the second screen, it adds no value whatsoever. It's gimmicky rubbish.

#7 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

They could of had it that you could roll into an enemy by tilting to the Gamepad using gyro controls or raising the gamepad higher to have Dixie Kong have a longer flight time. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#8 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

It's mandatory for the end consumer. Also I've spoken out against the second screen, it adds no value whatsoever. It's gimmicky rubbish.

There are 3ds games that make excellent use of the second screen, Fire Emblem is one of those and a link between worlds too.

Edited by Lupaie, 05 March 2014 - 08:35 AM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#9 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

There are 3ds games that make excellent use of the second screen, Fire Emblem is one of those and a link between worlds too.

I couldn't disagree anymore with that statement if I tried.

#10 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

They could of had it that you could roll into an enemy by tilting to the Gamepad using gyro controls or raising the gamepad higher to have Dixie Kong have a longer flight time. 

Except everyone complained about the motion controls in Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Also, who is this guy? A quick google of his company brings up nothing but a list of forgettable 3DS/mobile games.

#11 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Off TV play alone justifies its existence for me.  With a family and one TV having what amounts to a handheld with a large screen and great graphics really comes in handy.  

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#12 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

You only have to look at the ds/3ds to see some great examples of how two screens are beneficial to gamers. If they gamepad screen wasn't touch then there might be some credibility in "waste of time and resources". Unlike the ds systems I feel the gamepad is more of a complimentary screen than something you should be using  all the time.

Can't imagine ZombiU on any other system. I also use the gamepad for the browser, Miiverse and some games look really good on the gamepad like Trine 2 etc. To me it's beneficial to the whole gaming experience.

#13 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

I'm in the middle here. It's a great little gimmick to have that second screen on the console, but it's gonna stay like that forever. There is never going to be a killer app utilising the second screen, the kind of app that makes everyone want a Wii U for. It is an overly ambitious project by Nintendo, and the only really great function from it is off TV play. There are going to be niceties, but nothing feverish to the consumer in terms of Gamepad utilisation.

What really does make it feel like a waste of time is when you can't use a Pro Controller in a game e.g. Batman, ZombiU, Mass Effect 3 etc. For games that like to strap you in for a long ride, low battery life on the Gamepad doesn't work wonders at all. I would not mind it sitting there on a cradle for the minor interactions I make using the Gamepad while I play with the Pro Controller instead.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#14 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

The guy is a no name nobody. But he kind of has a point In saying the gamepad is underused. But I still feel the gamepad has it's place. I'm hoping for a developer to radically change the way we see the gamepad. *crosses fingers*

#15 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

http://mynintendonew...-wii-u-gamepad/

He's right. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freezes doesn't use this at all, did Pikmin 3 use it beyond a map feature? Nintendo bragged about the second screen, but have yet to do anything damn innovative with it.

He's right it hasn't been used, but it isn't a waste of resources for the developer if they use it. It would elevate your game.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#16 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

I think their biggest challenge is being able to use the Gamepad effectively in a way that it doesn't break current setups. Some people play on a lounge, some people play on a desk, some people slouch and some people sit upright. The second screen isn't an easy function to make usable without making a disconnect from looking between two screens, or creating body pains. The 3DS is fine because it's two screens are localised and fixed, and the DS4 uses a touch pad that you don't need to look at to interact with.

I honestly think that Nintendo have taken a step backward on this one, except when you have situations where you can play god to other players. ZombiU's and Nintendo Land's multiplayer are examples where I felt it worked. The Gamepad works better in that setting than in solo games.

AuzzieWingman.png

#17 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

Without games like ZombiU and Wii Party U, there`s nothing that really makes the gamepad stand out in gaming, iust on other fields like Miiverse drawings, Off tv play, etc.

It`s not the extra provided by the second screen isn`t great, because it is. It`s just that it didn´t do much for the actual games. And Wii U has been  out for 16/17 months and there really isn`t a lot to show for.

It`s kinda ironic that people say that 3rd party studios can`t beat Nintendo on their consoles, yet, Nintendo hasn`t been able to do what Ubisoft did with ZombiU, on it`s own console.

#18 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

That's true, but it gets worse when people are heavily divided on a title like ZombiU. I for one didn't enjoy it because trying to do things was annoyingly cumbersome. It wasn't so much the 'realistic' approach to a zombie apocalypse, I loved that (until they made a punk rocker zombie a summoner). Just trying to do things in the game was tedious because of the over use of the Gamepad.

AuzzieWingman.png

#19 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

A little game called Game & Wario makes great use of the Gamepad.

I for one think the Gamepad is an excellent thing, I love having a map or inventory screen at a quick glance, not having to pause the game and its use in games such as Game & Wario, Tank Tank Tank, Zombi U, Call of Duty (love the split screen), Rayman Origins, Nintendo Land and even Mario and Sonic tries to do something more original with it.

I'm at the stage now where I find it odd to play a game without a second screen, I get over it quickly but it just feels empty without it.

Bring the noise.

#20 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

I didn`t finish the game but i don`t think they overdid it. It basically served as a menu and to shed light on the surroundings. Yes, you did it quite often but not to the point of it interfering with the actual gameplay because it was part of the gameplay itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!