• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

I disagree, Playstation Move is an excellent implementation of a motion controller.  The problem is it has very little software support.  I am also very much looking forward to Project Morpheus.

That is not to say the WiiU Gamepad is bad, but I have to agree that for most games it doesn't add anything.  Even on Lego City Undercover, while I found it amusing how it was used to listen in to conversations, sometimes I just didn't want to have to hold the controller in the air just to play the game.  There were literally times when I thought "my arms are tired, I wish I didn't have to do this".  Mind you, that might partly be down to the fact I feel the GamePad is an extremely uncomfortable shape, its the least ergonomic controller Nintendo have made in a long time.

There have been some bad uses of the GamePad too such as taking the mini map off the screen to put on the GamePad instead.  This actually makes the game more awkward to play, it breaks the flow having to look down where normally the mini map is in your peripheral vision.  At the end of the day if you have enough RAM to pull the full game map up INSTANTLY, there isn't really any benefit to looking down to see it on the GamePad.  In most games you really need to be paused when on the map anyway to avoid something bad happening.

Inventory control is a huge improvement on the GamePad however, although I think they could have done that on a much smaller screen.

Its telling that even Nintendo have failed to really show something innovative about using the GamePad, apart from Nintendo Land.

I loved the idea of the GamePad but the more I use it, the less I care about it.  Although at least it WORKS, tried to use Smartglass on Fable Anniversary and my Windows tablet refuses to find the Xbox 360 even though my Android phone can.  Oh the irony.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 31 March 2014 - 12:55 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#42 Merky Water

Merky Water

Motion Shooter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Contra, Mario Kart

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

I disagree, Playstation Move is an excellent implementation of a motion controller.  The problem is it has very little software support.  I am also very much looking forward to Project Morpheus.

That is not to say the WiiU Gamepad is bad, but I have to agree that for most games it doesn't add anything.  Even on Lego City Undercover, while I found it amusing how it was used to listen in to conversations, sometimes I just didn't want to have to hold the controller in the air just to play the game.  There were literally times when I thought "my arms are tired, I wish I didn't have to do this".  Mind you, that might partly be down to the fact I feel the GamePad is an extremely uncomfortable shape, its the least ergonomic controller Nintendo have made in a long time.

There have been some bad uses of the GamePad too such as taking the mini map off the screen to put on the GamePad instead.  This actually makes the game more awkward to play, it breaks the flow having to look down where normally the mini map is in your peripheral vision.  At the end of the day if you have enough RAM to pull the full game map up INSTANTLY, there isn't really any benefit to looking down to see it on the GamePad.  In most games you really need to be paused when on the map anyway to avoid something bad happening.

It was sad that more software didn't support the Move.  While Project Morpheus sounds interesting, I'm afraid it might suffer the same fate as the Move being more an afterthought.  Hopefully, with enough gamers pushing it though, we won't let devs plop it in the cobweb filled crate to keep their production costs low.

Conversely, I think the gamepad being included with the system was the best way to answer the fate of such useful tech as the Move.  Not many developers would have touched it if the gamepad was an additional purchase.  Now, you see some devs making good use of it, and others the bare minimum.  But, unlike the Move, nobody's gonna leave that screen blank glaringly reminding you this dev couldn't be bothered.

To the break of gameplay of a second screen, I'll admit, I suffered that as well at first.  We had similar periods of adjustment with every new feature though.  The introduction of an analog thumbstick threw us for a loop way back when.  But look how well we took to it with some time!  Now, most people prefer two of those things.  People are, and likely always will be, resistant to change.  But on a look back, I couldn't imagine approaching some games without a baby joystick a thumb can roll.

Merky-Banner_zpsfd81fed3.png

#43 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Still disagree with this. This past weekend my Wii U wasnt even connected to my tv but I still was able to GAME on the PAD. I know Wii U is not doing well but the gamepad is not the issue... how about you start with Nintendo lack of marketing and complete silence on people shi$ting on the console since day 1. Negative press is continuing to kill this console.

#44 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

What I will say about the gamepad is that so many people complained about Wii games having gimmicky controls, shaking to roll in DK etc, and so I find it amusing that there are complaints about Tropical Freeze having a blank screen.

I do wish there were more uses of the gamepad overall but for most of the games so far I've been pretty happy with how it's been used.

#45 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

For off-screen play the GamePad is a great idea.  I don't get along with playing games on such a small low resolution screen myself, but I can see the merit for it.

Also when you compare it to PS Vita Remote Play, its leagues above.  The PS Vita only having 2.4Ghz WiFi makes it useless, too much interference and it just constantly loses the connection.  The same distance from the console, the WiiU GamePad works flawlessly.

However, its not very ergonomic and that is by far the most important feature of a game controller.  Its a big reason why I loved the Xbox 360, its what I loved about the Gamecube, which is why its so disappointing that Nintendo dropped the ball on the ergonomics this time.  I refuse to get a pro controller because it doesn't work on everything and I am losing out on the Gamepad functionality.  I have it, I might as well use it.

Still, at least Nintendo were thinking about gaming.  Xbox One is even worse, throwing away 25% GPU power compared to PS4 just for the sake of including a better version of Kinect, something already proven as pretty pointless for most games.

#46 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

What I will say about the gamepad is that so many people complained about Wii games having gimmicky controls, shaking to roll in DK etc, and so I find it amusing that there are complaints about Tropical Freeze having a blank screen.

I do wish there were more uses of the gamepad overall but for most of the games so far I've been pretty happy with how it's been used.

I do wonder what was the reasoning behind retro not putting the hud information on the screen while playing. It sucks (not the biggest deal... but) having to puase the game just to see how many letters I have or puzzle pieces I need. This seems like a big oversight and something that siply should have been put in the game. This I do not understand and would love to hear why they left it out.

#47 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Inventory control is a huge improvement on the GamePad however, although I think they could have done that on a much smaller screen.

Its telling that even Nintendo have failed to really show something innovative about using the GamePad, apart from Nintendo Land.

I loved the idea of the GamePad but the more I use it, the less I care about it.  Although at least it WORKS, tried to use Smartglass on Fable Anniversary and my Windows tablet refuses to find the Xbox 360 even though my Android phone can.  Oh the irony.

I disagree, the more I use the gampad the more I love it. I love how the stuff is on the gamepad, I hate it when the tv is cluttered with crap that you might not even need. Personally I have no problem looking down, and the fact that you can pause to do something like in ZombiU, is what makes the game so great.

I kind of like the Gamepad's shape, every time I hold a dual show or xbox controller it feels wrong, the 360 controller is really ergonomic and it needs to be for all the no-lifes who play games 70 hours in a row.  But the gamepad feels right to me.

Nintendo and it's lack of marketing, not having must have games at launch, selection of released software, and no response stance on negative developers, journalist and media is why the WiiU is in the place it is now. 

Ok I agree about the marketing. But what launch really has must have games? I think the Wii was pretty decent. But really its usually ports | spots | one or two first parties | few shovelware.

Edited by TheDoctor13, 01 April 2014 - 06:00 PM.

Stupid Snowmads!

#48 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

I disagree, the more I use the gampad the more I love it. I love how the stuff is on the gamepad, I hate it when the tv is cluttered with crap that you might not even need. Personally I have no problem looking down, and the fact that you can pause to do something like in ZombiU, is what makes the game so great.

I kind of like the Gamepad's shape, every time I hold a dual show or xbox controller it feels wrong, the 360 controller is really ergonomic and it needs to be for all the no-lifes who play games 70 hours in a row.  But the gamepad feels right to me.

Ok I agree about the marketing. But what launch really has must have games? I think the Wii was pretty decent. But really its usually ports | spots | one or two first parties | few shovelware.

Nintendo's first HD console that was seeing negative press from the start and people sayng it was going to be dreamcast 2... if i was Nintendo i have something mindblowing ready for launch a la rougue squadron on Gamecube.

#49 Merky Water

Merky Water

Motion Shooter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Contra, Mario Kart

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

For off-screen play the GamePad is a great idea.  I don't get along with playing games on such a small low resolution screen myself, but I can see the merit for it.

Also when you compare it to PS Vita Remote Play, its leagues above.  The PS Vita only having 2.4Ghz WiFi makes it useless, too much interference and it just constantly loses the connection.  The same distance from the console, the WiiU GamePad works flawlessly.

However, its not very ergonomic and that is by far the most important feature of a game controller.  Its a big reason why I loved the Xbox 360, its what I loved about the Gamecube, which is why its so disappointing that Nintendo dropped the ball on the ergonomics this time.  I refuse to get a pro controller because it doesn't work on everything and I am losing out on the Gamepad functionality.  I have it, I might as well use it.

Still, at least Nintendo were thinking about gaming.  Xbox One is even worse, throwing away 25% GPU power compared to PS4 just for the sake of including a better version of Kinect, something already proven as pretty pointless for most games.

I don't mind the feel of the gamepad.  Perhaps it's because I grew up on such handhelds as the original gray brick gameboy and sega's gamegear.  While we felt spoiled back then having such things, I think it might make some of us appreciate what exists now a bit more.  Sure, the gamepad felt bulky at first but it settles in nice.  As far as the Pro Controller, I'd say get it!  I can't think of any games I own that don't allow for it.  What games don't support it??

Merky-Banner_zpsfd81fed3.png

#50 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

What games don't support it??

Gamepad games.

ZombiU, Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Nintendo Land and Lego City Undercover are a few of those.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#51 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Mario Kart 8 seems to use  the gamepad quite nicely. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#52 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

I don't mind the feel of the gamepad.  Perhaps it's because I grew up on such handhelds as the original gray brick gameboy and sega's gamegear.  While we felt spoiled back then having such things, I think it might make some of us appreciate what exists now a bit more.  Sure, the gamepad felt bulky at first but it settles in nice.  As far as the Pro Controller, I'd say get it!  I can't think of any games I own that don't allow for it.  What games don't support it??

Its not a choice I make, my fingers hurt where they grip around the triggers after playing for a while.

Then again, we are all supposed to take way more breaks than we do so Nintendo can always say its our fault.  But the fact remains, I could play on Gamecube for hours without any problems, the controller was so comfortable.

#53 Insanejawa

Insanejawa

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:29 AM

Ummmmmm pretty simple then from a development standpoint, don't code the game to use the gamepad. If DKC isn't using it, then I doubt Nintendo has some kind of limitation that games must use it. the Xbox one has the Kinect but developers don't feel the need to use it either. Most of the games I've played just use the pad for maps and inventory management anyway.

#54 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

I think the overall goal was to provide offscreen play and solutions in a smartphone/tablet environment. Of course, the tv is an added benefit, but being able to play off screen would be huge. Or so they thought.

Instead, the habits of consumers did not migrate to this from a use standpoint, yet the idea is theoretically sound.

Just like anything else, all unsuccessful ideas are bad in hind sight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!