Photo

First review for New Yoshi's Island is in from Edge- 4/10 bombs.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

• Unresponsive controls
  • Poor level design
  • Anachronistic checkpointing
  • Lack of anything 'new'
  • Very poor use of 3D
  • 'Horrid' music

http://www.neogaf.co...90&postcount=88

Nobody hyped this.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

I saw this coming a mile off.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

I saw this coming a mile off.

You're going to believe the magazine that's been known to give Nintendo games a low score because "lolnintendo?"

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#4 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Oh, I don't know who gave it what score and their affinity with Nintendo and frankly I don't care for these magazines and online journalists. Their names and history don't matter to me. I just knew that this game would get a lower score than what would be expected of it. I'm pretty sure if I read what Edge put down then I'm probably going to believe they went too hard on it, but I always saw Yoshi's New Island as a mediocre title.

If it does runaway as an excellent title so be it, but I'm doubting it.

AuzzieWingman.png

#5 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Oh, I don't know who gave it what score and their affinity with Nintendo and frankly I don't care for these magazines and online journalists. Their names and history don't matter to me. I just knew that this game would get a lower score than what would be expected of it. I'm pretty sure if I read what Edge put down then I'm probably going to believe they went too hard on it, but I always saw Yoshi's New Island as a mediocre title.

If it does runaway as an excellent title so be it, but I'm doubting it.

but Nintendo mediocre =/= 4/10. You can't seriously think any Nintendo game with this much time and money behind it was near this bad. I don't think there's anintendo game with this much effort behind it that should be rated anything less than 8/10.Kee p in mind a lot of times nintedno games get bad scores, like movies, because they're compared to their predecess, and expected to be a bajillion times better than said predecessors, so then when (surpirse) it isn't people get all disappointed and say it "sucks" which just isn't true.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#6 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

The game didn't look that good but hopefully their wrong.

#7 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Call me a fanboy, but the only thing that's really gonna bother me according to the review is unresponsive controls. But reading a Gaf thread it seems that it controls like the original, and that Edge gave W101 a criticism for unresponsive controls. So I'm not entirely confident in the review. If I have to I'll mute the music and play the original SNES tunes over it.

#8 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Call me a fanboy, but the only thing that's really gonna bother me according to the review is unresponsive controls. But reading a Gaf thread it seems that it controls like the original, and that Edge gave W101 a criticism for unresponsive controls. So I'm not entirely confident in the review. If I have to I'll mute the music and play the original SNES tunes over it.

That's another thing. Personally never ran into a nintendo game with bad music.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#9 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

but Nintendo mediocre =/= 4/10. You can't seriously think any Nintendo game with this much time and money behind it was near this bad. I don't think there's anintendo game with this much effort behind it that should be rated anything less than 8/10.Kee p in mind a lot of times nintedno games get bad scores, like movies, because they're compared to their predecess, and expected to be a bajillion times better than said predecessors, so then when (surpirse) it isn't people get all disappointed and say it "sucks" which just isn't true.

Once again, I was never using review scores as a basis of what I said. Nor did I bring up anything about predecessor titles. My opinion was based purely on what I saw of the game, and that I can't honestly be surprised if Edge, or any other reviewers for that matter, gave it a low score.

If I did want to bring in the discussion of predecessor titles, I wouldn't even stop at Yoshi. I'd more or less just say something along the lines of "Nintendo, I've got enough platformers for the time being please stop." On that note, this is Nintendo, and I'm not dismissing the possibility that it could be a great title, or that Edge was being harsh.

AuzzieWingman.png

#10 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

You're going to believe the magazine that's been known to give Nintendo games a low score because "lolnintendo?"

Here's an non-Edge source for you:

http://www.gamefaqs....68765163?page=1

Game sukkkks.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#11 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Here's an non-Edge source for you:

http://www.gamefaqs....68765163?page=1

Game sukkkks.

Can't say I'm surprised if it sucks, but I'm not sure that NeoGAF is the best source either.

GameZombie44.png

#12 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Aww I was so excited for this game! :( then I saw more and more trailers for it...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#13 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

"Nintendo, I've got enough platformers for the time being please stop." 

"Enough" and "platformers" don't belong in the same sentence (unless "enough" is preceded by never)!!  :laugh:

Edited by kokirii, 12 March 2014 - 05:43 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#14 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Let's be real here, just because its a Nintendo game doesn't mean its of some masterful quality. If they gave it a 6 or 7 then maybe you'd have a case, but a 4? Not looking so bright.

2lvmghw.png

#15 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

Let's be real here, just because its a Nintendo game doesn't mean its of some masterful quality. If they gave it a 6 or 7 then maybe you'd have a case, but a 4? Not looking so bright.

I'm being very real. Edge is known for giving mediocre/bad scores to good Nintendo games. 

I honestly don't care that much about Yoshi's New Island given that I didn't care for Yoshi's Island from the ambassador program, I just like to be objective when it comes to a magazine that's known to review Nintendo games poorly is being taken like it's fact.

GameZombie44.png

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Was never interested in the game and looked nothing special to me. That said Edge usually has a Bias anyway. Even the best Nintendo games they rate a 7. I think they have by default to rate most Nintendo games a 7 to be a sympathy score.

#17 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Still buying. My feelings matter more than someone else, who probably was not very good at the game to begin with. 

100% agree with you there.

#18 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

NOTHING WILL STOP ME FROM BUYING AND ENJOYING THIS GAME, YA HEAR ME

#19 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

Can't say I'm surprised if it sucks, but I'm not sure that NeoGAF is the best source either.

Okay so then what is the best source, wise guy?

#20 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

NOTHING WILL STOP ME FROM BUYING AND ENJOYING THIS GAME, YA HEAR ME

its like two hours. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!