27 replies to this topic

#1 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Title says it all. Anyone looking for a group to hunt with? Come here. Just leave your NNID, your ranking level (Low, High, G), and what weapon types you use if you want.

I'm G rank and I stick with my Dual Blades and Bows.

If there are any new players who are looking for someone to help them out or show them the ropes then let me know. And if you haven't jumped in to this series yet but you're thinking about it but are hesitant because you've heard about the difficult learning curve then I'm up for helping anyone out.

This really is a must have game for an Wii U owners and in my opinion the best co-op game there is, so I think it'd be awesome if we could get a community of hunters here. The game is a lot better when you're playing with people you know.

pNgecl.gif

#2 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

Guess this is as good a place as any to drop these.  Helpful stuff for newcomers.

Explaining Monster Hunter.

http://www.ign.com/b...unter-abridged/

Beginner's guide

http://www.ign.com/b...monster-hunter/

Weapons: Blademaster Part 1

http://www.ign.com/b...emaster-part-1/

Weapons: Blademaster Part 2

http://www.ign.com/b...emaster-part-2/

Weapons: Gunner

http://www.ign.com/b...-hunter-gunner/

Basically were written so I'd have the heavy lifting out of the way  so when the next game comes out, I don't have to spend so much time editing and explaining, and more time actually playing.  Figured posting them as blog on a public site was a good way to give people access to them as they desire.  To all veterans, I ask that you check for errors and details I missed, particularly on the bowguns.

Edited by Lightning_Ninja, 11 April 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#3 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Guess this is as good a place as any to drop these.  Helpful stuff for newcomers.

Explaining Monster Hunter.

http://www.ign.com/b...unter-abridged/

Weapons: Blademaster Part 1

http://www.ign.com/b...emaster-part-1/

Weapons: Blademaster Part 2

http://www.ign.com/b...emaster-part-2/

Weapons: Gunner

http://www.ign.com/b...-hunter-gunner/

Basically were written so I'd have the heavy lifting out of the way  so when the next game comes out, I don't have to spend so much time editing and explaining, and more time actually playing.  Figured posting them as blog on a public site was a good way to give people access to them as they desire.  To all veterans, I ask that you check for errors and details I missed, particularly on the bowguns.

I just looked through your first part. And overall it was pretty good. The only thing I would disagree with is suggesting the Dual Blades to a new player. To use the weapon properly a player has to get in to point blank distance with the enemy at all times, meaning you're always within a monster's attack range. Sns, Lance, and LS are definitely the go to weapons for new players though. I made a super long post on Monster Hunter a while back on the 3DS forums. I'll see if I can find it. 

pNgecl.gif

#4 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, PokƩmon

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

This would've been so handy and fun if I hadn't sold the game already.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#5 Kardibask

Kardibask

Ninj

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • NNID:Kardibask
  • Fandom:
    Marvel, DC Comics

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

Low Rank Hunter using Switch Axe.

NNID: Kardibask

e674231265.jpg

#6 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

This would've been so handy and fun if I hadn't sold the game already.

Your loss

Low Rank Hunter using Switch Axe.

NNID: Kardibask

I'll send you a friend invite.

pNgecl.gif

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

I just looked through your first part. And overall it was pretty good. The only thing I would disagree with is suggesting the Dual Blades to a new player. To use the weapon properly a player has to get in to point blank distance with the enemy at all times, meaning you're always within a monster's attack range. Sns, Lance, and LS are definitely the go to weapons for new players though. I made a super long post on Monster Hunter a while back on the 3DS forums. I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah, second LS. Good damage, good mobility, impossible to miss, easy to spam effective combos, and not very obtrusive to other players.

Sword and board for similar reasons plus the ability to block and easy item use.

Cant get behind lance only because im tired of elementless/statusless/wrong element lance noobs spamming the charge for no damage and knocking axers, hammers, great swords, and other heavy hitters out of the way everytime the monster falls over DX

As an aside, the world needs more good gunners and horn players.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

Yeah, second LS. Good damage, good mobility, impossible to miss, easy to spam effective combos, and not very obtrusive to other players.

Sword and board for similar reasons plus the ability to block and easy item use.

Cant get behind lance only because im tired of elementless/statusless/wrong element lance noobs spamming the charge for no damage and knocking axers, hammers, great swords, and other heavy hitters out of the way everytime the monster falls over DX

To be fair, I consider the lance a good stater weapon because it's defensive, but that doesn't excuse using it wrong. And yeah, I can't stand lancers who feel the need to be obnoxious.

I've seen a fair amount of people that use bowguns, although yeah hunting horn is rare and the ones I do come across tend to only spam their buffs instead of actually attacking the enemy.

So 3Dude, you up for some hunting?

pNgecl.gif

#9 Mesan3

Mesan3

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • NNID:mesan3
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Dragon ball, trombone

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

NNID: mesan3

is it weird that I actually like sword and shield? I'm also trying to learn bow.

#10 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

is it weird that I actually like sword and shield? I'm also trying to learn bow.

It's not weird at all. SnS is a good weapon, it just takes a different play style than other weapons and it's low on the attack spectrum. However, it's great for afflicting status effects which is especially awesome when playing with others.

Although if you're wanting to learn another weapon, you've picked the hardest one in the game.

pNgecl.gif

#11 Mesan3

Mesan3

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • NNID:mesan3
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Dragon ball, trombone

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

It's not weird at all. SnS is a good weapon, it just takes a different play style than other weapons and it's low on the attack spectrum. However, it's great for afflicting status effects which is especially awesome when playing with others.

Although if you're wanting to learn another weapon, you've picked the hardest one in the game.

That's what's so awesome about it.

#12 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

I mainly put DB since its fairly easy to attack with. Of all the weapons, its the most button mashy and also allows pretty decent reaction time. Also, its rare I hear newcomers complain about using it, so apparently its fairly easy for newcomers to grasp.

I make a huge point in my Blademaster Part 2 section about the lance charge, or as I call it, the Noob Charge. I make it pretty clear that it should be used very rarely and specify the circumstances where its viable. I should probably put a link in the Explaining MH blog to the weapon guides.

Edited by Lightning_Ninja, 17 March 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Not weird in the slightest. Every single weapon in monster hunter is completely viable.

To be fair, I consider the lance a good stater weapon because it's defensive, but that doesn't excuse using it wrong. And yeah, I can't stand lancers who feel the need to be obnoxious.

I've seen a fair amount of people that use bowguns, although yeah hunting horn is rare and the ones I do come across tend to only spam their buffs instead of actually attacking the enemy.

So 3Dude, you up for some hunting?

I dont feel they are purposefully being obnoxious, they probably think they are doing incredible damage... they just dont know the charge does barely any physical damage, and certainly not enough to make up for the lost damage from the players they knocked away.

and yeah, Im up for some hunting

nnid: Josh83 handle: Jericho.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

NNID: kingofboos.

im mostly a GS user. XD 

bb0.gif

#15 DizzyT

DizzyT

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • NNID:DizzyT

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

NNID: DizzyT

G-rank
I use mostly switch axe but also hammer, long sword, sword & shield and dual swords.
Have some great swords, bows and horns too but havenĀ“t played much with them.
Also been a little while since I last played the game  :P

#16 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

Just realized I should probably state this:

Due to irl responsibilities such as finishing college and applying for jobs, I won't really be able to play MH for a good couple of months.  I can still talk about it on the forum, but I really need to limit my game time, and MH is my worst offender in terms of how much time I can sink into it without realizing it.  So if you add me, just know that you shouldn't expect me to be on it anytime in the near future.  As soon as both goals are accomplished, I will probably be right back on.  Good luck without me.

#17 Wolf

Wolf

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lego games, all of them.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

HR5 using the Hammer.

This is starting to take over my life.

Any help getting to HR6 would be great. Usually play most nights after 21:45 GMT

NNID is Wolfcarnage

#18 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Monster Hunter on PSP was my first MH game and ever since I have been a Lance user. I switch it up now and again but with some monsters you need to use a specific weapon it seems in single player.

Got proficient with all weapons then stuck with Gunlance for a while before realising Lance takes more skill, still love sword and shield though.

#19 NayNay

NayNay

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

hey guys i just downloaded the trial of this, but literay had no clue where to go. fought some thing in an ice cave that was charging me and throwing ice balls, but didnt seem to be doing damage.

it was a bit overwhelming as i have literally no knowledge of the game other than its about grinding and hunting, and fighing large beats. and that it was highly recommended.

i will look through those starter guides u listed, and if anyone else knows any good beginner websites that would be awesome. hoping to get stuck into this game.

thanks for the links above guys

#20 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

hey guys i just downloaded the trial of this, but literay had no clue where to go. fought some thing in an ice cave that was charging me and throwing ice balls, but didnt seem to be doing damage.

it was a bit overwhelming as i have literally no knowledge of the game other than its about grinding and hunting, and fighing large beats. and that it was highly recommended.

i will look through those starter guides u listed, and if anyone else knows any good beginner websites that would be awesome. hoping to get stuck into this game.

thanks for the links above guys

First, I'd like to mention that in the demo, you only get 20 minutes for the quest. In the full game, 99% of quests give you 50 minutes, and only a couple go down to 30 min. Also, the "Easy" monster in the demo is easy by MH standards, and since you are probably still learning the controls, its gonna be hard. Most people who started with demo failed a couple times before they were even able to beat the Easy monster in 20 minutes. For some perspective, a veteran player can do the job with the same equipment in around 5 minutes. Also, do not even ATTEMPT the Hard monster in the demo unless you want the crap beaten out of you. Seriously.

By the time you get to those monsters in the full game, you will be a lot more experienced. The demo only shows you the hunt part, none of the gathering items or turning monster parts into gear. There were quite a few people who started with the demo, didn't think they liked it but took the plunge in the full game anyway, and found they loved it. If you read what I put in those above links it should help you figure out if you'll like the game or not. If you like the demo, you'll love the game. If you don't like the demo, there is still a chance you will like the game.

I'm sure I'd normally write a lot more and I'm forgetting something important about the demo, but I can't think of anything right now.

For a general beginner's guide to the full game, I'd recommend Projared's 3 videos.  Starting with:

You can also see my old help thread if you feel like it.  My initial post has a hefty amount of info for beginner's.  (http://thewiiu.com/t...te-help-thread/)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!