Wii U specs leaked?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

so is this what we can expect from the Wii U?
http://wiiudaily.com...-768-mb-of-ram/

ok my question is how powerful does this make the wii u(if true) compared to ps3? i dont know specs that well to understand what these mean. i do have a friend that works in the industry. he said he was going to have hot Wii U news for me after the VGA's.... so im going to update you guys as soon as i get that info.

ok so did some research and these specs are about the same as what we have this gen. obviously this is a rumor and should be treated as such. so i guess its the waiting game until we get some official specs.

#2 Pac-1234

Pac-1234

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

I don't know much about computer parts and components, BUT according to this guy I asked, a dRAM is what it is used to communicate between the GPU and CPU exclusively. He said that current consoles (360 and PS3) have very little dRAM and so, 768mb of dRAM (what the "leak" claims to have) is like a whole lot.

Not to be confused with the general RAM which should be AT LEAST 2GB in my opinion. Oh, well.

#3 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

If these specs are true then they probably aren't for the final version, probably the specs are for the prototype at e3 2011

#4 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

It says right in the article that these are for the March 2011 devkits. The real Wii U will likely be much more powerful.
Posted Image

#5 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

im also not a computer expert but theres plenty of people out there who say these specs are awesome. they say that computer noobs dont understand the differences between DRAM and RAM and other things in the "leaked specs." these people are hoping these specs are real and saying they surpass xbox360 and ps3 by far. i dont know about this because i really have no clue about computer specs except for the very basics. go to mynintendonews.com and read the comments under the article there and you will see these comments that im talking about.

personally this doesnt worry me for so many reasons:
1) could be fake
2) if its real then these specs arent final, in a year the dev kits will probably be even better
3) a lot of people saying these are nothing like xbox360 and ps3 when looked at by an expert
4)we already know for a fact that the system can do 1080p and awesome experiences like zelda HD demo

im really not worried, kind of excited that nintendo is actually finding ways to increase power dramatically and keep price low aswell :D thats what some are saying :D
Posted Image

#6 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

I don't think that is enough info, but from what I heard certain aspects are the better than the Xbox 360. Also this is probably not final and they are probably some more parts to see.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#7 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lucky Star, Animal Crossing, Darkwave.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

The RAM will only need to be 4 GB for it to run most games well, possibly 6. Direct X uses 2 GB on minimum, so 6GB is plenty.

http://www.20b.org/

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

You know you want to! 'Tis leaked Nintendo information!

#8 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

The RAM will only need to be 4 GB for it to run most games well, possibly 6. Direct X uses 2 GB on minimum, so 6GB is plenty.

This is not a PC, HaHa-No, consider yourself lucky if the Wii U has 2 GB's of RAM. Xbox 360 has 512 MB's of shared RAM, which makes about 256 of it usable in a normal way.

Also, Wii U won't use DirectX, it will use OpenGL.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#9 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

I am no expert when it comes to tech, however these specs are very impressive. And remember, when it comes to ram, consoles don't need so much ram. People seem to think more ram the better, but consoles are dedicated to games only. And if it says MARCH 2011 development kit then these specs are outdated as we know Nintendo has been pushing out new updates since then.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#10 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

This is not a PC, HaHa-No, consider yourself lucky if the Wii U has 2 GB's of RAM. Xbox 360 has 512 MB's of shared RAM, which makes about 256 of it usable in a normal way.

Also, Wii U won't use DirectX, it will use OpenGL.

Oh, OpenGL is more RAM efficient, so it shouldn't need much in that case.
The main gripe many developers have with consoles is RAM though. I'd be surprised if they made it low.

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

#11 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

Oh, OpenGL is more RAM efficient, so it shouldn't need much in that case.
The main gripe many developers have with consoles is RAM though. I'd be surprised if they made it low.

You will be surprised, then.

RAM is not as important in consoles as it is on PC's, take that into account.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#12 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

You will be surprised, then.

RAM is not as important in consoles as it is on PC's, take that into account.

I suppose not.

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

#13 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

The specs definitely seem to be better than the PS3/360 as far as I know. Though I've heard complaints from some people who know more about this than I do that they're apparently not all that powerful. Regardless, it's the final build of the console that matters. And the technicalities of it all aren't too important, what we should be worried about is how will games run on it? And looking at some of the footage we currently have, of the Zelda HD tech demo and Dragon Quest X, it definitely seems that the Wii U is capable of some very impressive stuff. Something I noticed infact, is that if you look at a typical cutscene from the Gamecube/PS2 era, it looks pretty much the same sort of quality we're seeing from the Wii U so far. It's pretty awesome since I always wondered as a kid when we'd get to play games that had graphics as good as that. :D

Edited by Deadly Virus, 03 December 2011 - 03:16 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

It says right in the article that these are for the March 2011 devkits. The real Wii U will likely be much more powerful.

If this rumor is true this is extraordinary actually. 768 MB of embedded dram is outrageous, much less this also states that another version is experimenting on 1 GB of embedded dram. This is actually not a bad thing if this would happen you can do a lot more with 768 MB to 1 GB of embedded dram than the 1-1.5 GB of rumored and speculated ddr3/gddr3/gddr5. This would greatly increase the performance of the rumored R700 GPU and the CPU considerably. This also sounds like complete unicorn tongue. 768 MBs of embedded dram would be extremely expensive much less if the other version of 1 GB would end up being the final amount.

Edit:

Coming from Neogaf if this rumor is true the site who give the information may of gotten their terms wrong. Instead of 768 MB it could be 768 Mb, which would be 96 MBs of edram, which is more realistic though still expensive. There would still have to be main memory of some lesser ram.

Edited by Jikayaki, 03 December 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#15 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

The specs definitely seem to be better than the PS3/360 as far as I know. Though I've heard complaints from some people who know more about this than I do that they're apparently not all that powerful. Regardless, it's the final build of the console that matters. And the technicalities of it all aren't too important, what we should be worried about is how will games run on it? And looking at some of the footage we currently have, of the Zelda HD tech demo and Dragon Quest X, it definitely seems that the Wii U is capable of some very impressive stuff. Something I noticed infact, is that if you look at a typical cutscene from the Gamecube/PS2 era, it looks pretty much the same sort of quality we're seeing from the Wii U so far. It's pretty awesome since I always wondered as a kid when we'd get to play games that had graphics as good as that. :D

there is footage of dragon quest running on Wii U? i didnt know this... where cani find it? i though they were just showing off Wii version.

#16 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

there is footage of dragon quest running on Wii U? i didnt know this... where cani find it? i though they were just showing off Wii version.

There isn't sadly, but the game is for the Wii U.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#17 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

the ps3 looked 50% better on paper then the xbox 360 but it wasnt just remember that ppl

#18 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

the ps3 looked 50% better on paper then the xbox 360 but it wasnt just remember that ppl

Don't get overly carried away with the silliness of this info's source say that the Wii U is 50% more powerful, because that is completely impossible given their own rumored specs. Alpha dev kits are created with of the shelf parts for the most part, so the only 40 nm 4000s series card is the 4770, which is four times more powerful than the Xbox 360, and a more modern quad core would completely outperform the Xbox 360.

#19 Medu

Medu

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

Can't see much truth in those.

Surely if there is any truth to these rumours then it's 768Mb(96MB) and not 768MB. However I don't even see that as been true as one thing that we do know is that the chip and eDram will be made using IBM's 45nm node, not 32nm which is where I believe that the 1Gb of eDram becomes possible.

Also from what we have heard about the overall Wii U performance then a quad-core 3Ghz CPU seems overkill. Bear in mind the Xbox triple core isn't comparable to an Out of Order chip. A proper dual-core coming in about ~2.5Ghz would surely be more than enough to feed what will most likely be a custom Redwood core(400SP).

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

Can't see much truth in those.

Surely if there is any truth to these rumours then it's 768Mb(96MB) and not 768MB. However I don't even see that as been true as one thing that we do know is that the chip and eDram will be made using IBM's 45nm node, not 32nm which is where I believe that the 1Gb of eDram becomes possible.

Also from what we have heard about the overall Wii U performance then a quad-core 3Ghz CPU seems overkill. Bear in mind the Xbox triple core isn't comparable to an Out of Order chip. A proper dual-core coming in about ~2.5Ghz would surely be more than enough to feed what will most likely be a custom Redwood core(400SP).

A duel core processor wouldn't be powerful enough for the type of graphics that will be. Remember, when they make a console now, it will be around for five to ten years. It needs to be over kill. And some of these specs do go hand in hand with what we know. But I am iffy on some details.

For instance, we know that the CPU is based off of POWER7, not a PowerPC. The processor that was in the Xbox 360 was more like the Cell processor mixed with PowerPC G5. Defintly a customer chip all together. But they got it right being a four core chip, because the POWER7 CPU can only be 4 - 8 processor.

I think some of it is translation issues. If a Japanese developer said this, then maybe when they were telling the details they said some things incorrectly.

Then again it is also possible if the kit is an old one, then they might be using a PowerPC G5 processor which is similar to the Xbox one. So who knows.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!