Photo

PS4 officially sold through 7 Million Globally.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

TOKYO, April 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 7.0 million units*1 globally as of April 6, 2014 (JST), demonstrating the rapid growth of the PS4 platform.

"The response from the global gaming community for PS4 has been overwhelming and we are truly humbled that gamers are selecting PS4 as their next generation console of choice," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "The PS4 journey has just begun, and although we are still facing difficulties keeping up with the strong demand worldwide, we remain steadfast in our commitment to meet the needs of our customers, and surpassing the wildest expectations of gamers by delivering new user experiences that inspire and engage. We look forward to unveiling many of these experiences to our fans in the coming months."

PS4 software sales also remain strong with more than 20.5 million*2 copies sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of April 13, 2014 (JST). PS4 owners will be immersed in a broad portfolio of breakthrough games, across all genres, with approximately 120 titles*3 available or coming in 2014. The PS4 system's games portfolio will continue to expand with highly anticipated titles such as Destiny (Activision), The Elder Scrolls Online (Bethesda), Alien: Isolation (SEGA), NBA 2K15 (2K), Watch_Dogs™ (Ubisoft Entertainment), #DRIVECLUB (SCE WWS), MLB 14: The Show (SCE WWS) and The Order 1886 (SCE WWS). The independent development community continues to deliver innovative new titles for PS4. Upcoming games for 2014 include N++ (Metanet Software), GALAK-Z: The Dimensional (17 Bit Games), Transistor (Supergiant Games), Secret Ponchos (Switchblade Monkeys Entertainment), The Witness (Thekla, Inc.), Octodad: Dadliest Catch (Young Horses) and Daylight (Zombie Studios).

http://www.prnewswir...-255558241.html

Gaming was supposed to be dead, lol. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

Said who? First I've heard 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#3 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

I'm glad to hear the console is still doing well. It certainly deserves its successes given how much promise the console has.

I'm going to be picking mine up up once school's done with for the year, (I just got an unusually large unexpected sum of money, so Imma get it while I can afford one) so if nothing else, they can expect one more sale on top of those 7 million they already have.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

What?
7 million is nothing for a multimedia box.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

What?
7 million is nothing for a multimedia box.

7 million in half a year is quite good, I thought.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Xbox 360 wanted a billion people to play 360.

Sony happy with 7 million. Well wait 150 years and MS will claim it's Billion! WOO!

BTW PS4 outsold Vita I think now. Sadder note WiiU is as old as Dreamcast when it died and sold less. DC ended with 10.6. WiiU? 6-7?

Eeek Nintendo better hope MK8 pushes major numbers.

#7 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

For a console with only one stand out game so far to have sold 7 million plus units in just shy of 5 months is quite incredible.

I have to commend Sony's marketing team for a stellar effort in promoting their console, they've done a fantastic job.

That said given my experience of the PS3, Sony's entertainment network, I'll be staying well away from the Playstation brand. I owned a PS1, PS2 and PS3 and that's more than enough for me.

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

7 million in half a year is quite good, I thought.

Meh, the ouya is a travesty and that sold like 1 million before even releasing.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Microsoft's silence on Xbone sales is the most interesting thing....

#10 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Meh, the ouya is a travesty and that sold like 1 million before even releasing.

Sold just about nothing after release, though.

GameZombie44.png

#11 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hehe, all those Sony fans tryin' to say it would outsell the Wii U in a month were... scarily close to being right somehow.

I don't know how this console is selling, it has no quality software worth buying. I guess advertising is more important than games.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

I don't know how this console is selling, it has no quality software worth buying. I guess advertising is more important than games.

HYPE HYPE HYPE

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

1. inFAMOUS: Second Son
  2. Assassin's Creed IV
  3. Need for Speed: Rivals
  4. Skylanders Swapforce
  5. Killzone: Shadow Fall
  6. Resogun
  7. Steamworld Dig
  8. Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
  9. Flower
  10. Flow
  11. Rayman Legends
  12. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  13. Final Fantasy 14
  14. Warframe
  15. Dynasty Warriors 8

And that's just currently released stuff that I can think of. Over the Summer/Fall, it's getting Destiny, Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed Unity, Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor, The Crew, Driveclub, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Dying Light among others.

And surprise! Not one of those is coming to Wii U at time of this post.

GameZombie44.png

#14 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Only one on that list not on another platform or interests or not crap to me is Resogun because it's like Defender and looks cool like WiiU has Nano Assault Neo. PS4 is selling only on marketing flat out. Can put all the lists you want of terrible games and last gen ports. It's selling on hype because Sony is that damn good at marketing. They did the same with PS2 and PS2 had awful and I mean awful hardware. No real games worth playing for a year. Dreamcast had a ton more and the PS2 ports were terrible of DC games they had to downgrade textures and framerate. Sony just knew how to sell it. Same with PS4. Also helped in Japan PS2 played DVD's(non factor these days)

PS4 while considered the strongest console does not have the best version of a majority of those games. Just marketing and people know down the line 3rd parties will deliver. I will be getting one next year as I feel that's when Japanese 3rd parties start showing up.

It happens but also very rare a system has alot of great games to offer 6 months in. PS4 is not one of them nor XBO or WiiU. Also WiiU has some of those and 3DS. So um..yeah. As for DW always kinda been mainly Sony. Nintendo usually gets SW or Basara. Same thing really and we got Orochi which is a massive fan service anyway.

Even tho I like those games. When you played 1 you kinda played them all.

Edited by DreamCat, 17 April 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#15 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Only one on that list not on another platform or interests or not crap to me is Resogun because it's like Defender and looks cool like WiiU has Nano Assault Neo.

Uh...I wasn't debating "on another platform" or "interests Ryudo."

I was debating quality titles, which I have. All the titles I've listed are fun, well-rated games that're well worth playing.

I know for a fact I'm going to buy several of them on the PS4 when I buy one, and have been waiting to get a PS4 so I can play them. I'd buy one for the future investment alone. I enjoy Sly Cooper, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, the Batman: Arkham series and plenty other of Sony's IPs/third party IPs that will wind up hitting the system...and more than likely not the Wii U.

GameZombie44.png

#16 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

Speaking of Ryudo, he'll probably try and spin this around somehow. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#17 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Speaking of Ryudo, he'll probably try and spin this around somehow. 

Clock Man it just sounded like you were trying to make a list war. aside from a couple they are not system sellers. PS4 will be getting them and started with Second Son. Just be a while before the 3rd party exclusives and 1st where people who buy the system for those soley. Same thing happened for Wii.

Signed Spinny the spinster

Edited by DreamCat, 17 April 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#18 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Clock Man it just sounded like you were trying to make a list war. aside from a couple they are not system sellers. PS4 will be getting them and started with Second Son. Just be a while before the 3rd party exclusives and 1st where people who buy the system for those soley. Same thing happened for Wii.

Okay, seeing as you're having trouble understanding this, I'll try to break it down real simple for you.

PS4 is getting third party games and indie support that the Wii U will probably never get, including Dying Light, Arkham Knight, Destiny, and Wolfenstein among others. It also has the fantastic Sony first-party titles that'll be coming to the system in its lifetime. The Wii U has very little to no third party support. Continued third party support is important to the average gamer.

PS4 has several big name titles (see above and more) coming over the rest of 2014. The only highly-notable titles I can even think of that're confirmed to come to the Wii U in 2014 over the entire Summer/Fall/Winter period are Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Watch_Dogs and Smash Bros 4.  The average gamer sees this, purchases a console accordingly.

It's not rocket science.

Wii U has: Very little third party support, very little first party support, and neither of those things seem to be changing anytime soon due to bad business decisions and very little to no marketing whatsoever.

PS4 has a lot of third party support currently and forthcoming, a few first party titles, with more (such as Uncharted) to be announced/gone into at E3.

PS4 is probably the best current-gen console to buy either on its own or alongside a Wii U. It's not a surprise to me why it's selling so well. The overall package is a system seller, not just one or two games.

I have no need to go into "list wars." The claim was made for "no quality titles," I refuted that claim with a list of well-rated, well-received games. Nothing more, nothing less.

GameZombie44.png

#19 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

Duh it it has less 3rd party support and don't even try and say Sony is better with indies. Try developing on PlayStation Mobile. Go ahead ask Caviler on this forum. WiiU and PS4 for indies are about Equal. As a whole. Nintendo edges out just because PSM is a royal pain...so much so it's flat out idiotic. PSM flat is rainbow just like Wiiware was only worse.

But list something that goes better than your argument. ACIV. WiiU. DW..have Orochi same thing. Steamworld on 3DS. Rayman legends on WiiU and the definitive version.  I could go on but you worded it like those are not on the system or Nintendo. Well Flower can be bough on PS3 and a few years old. Support for PS4 yes is there but your list does not convince it's loaded with must haves at this moment. Right now. Not future but right now. People buy a PS4 over Uncharted,God of War. They don't buy a a PS4 for Assassins Creed IV or Dysnasty Warriors. That's something bought t pad the shelf while already owning one.

Not disputing it's 3rd party support or selling 7 mill is impressive. that's Eggnogs deal up there. take that up with her lol.

Just saying it's mainly sold this much so far on promise and hype. Not what's currently out for the most part.

S'ok si

#20 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

1. inFAMOUS: Second Son

And that's just currently released stuff that I can think of. Over the Summer/Fall, it's getting Destiny, Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed Unity, Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor, The Crew, Driveclub, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Dying Light among others.

And surprise! Not one of those is coming to Wii U at time of this post.

That is the only worthwhile game the PS4 has atm. everything else is eather a last gen game/port or a generic rehash of a common last gen game.  PS4 is winning with the worst game line up so far this gen. just shows how much more important hype is over actual games in selling consuls. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!