Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

If Nintendo had two or three platforms next generation that would be great

1) A hardcore home console compatible with 9th gen handheld

2) A Hardcore handheld compatible with  the 9th gen home console (or make a handheld-home hybrid console!)

3) A cheap, affordable Quality of Life Platform which relies of innovation over specs 

This way Nintendo can go after casuals and core gamers by having more platforms available at different price ranges. This very well could be a return of Nintendo back on top form by not bundling its casual Wii Fit and Brain training packages with its game console - giving those who want Wii Fit a cheaper platform to purchase (let's say 9th gen Nintendo console is $400 (and be fully beefed up), and their handheld is $250 (again reasonably beefy), and their QOL platform could be $100 (be between DS and 3DS spec wise) make and sell like hotcakes. All with a decent profit margin.

Thoughts?

#2 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

I actually proposed this years ago before Wii U was release. make a high end competitive to competition home console priced and speced higher and a more innovative affordable console also. I think it would be hard to pull of but its the same idea as an Iphone 5s or 5c. Make them compatible but just as an example a game released on both consoles one able to achieve 720p 30 fps and the other full native 1080p 60fps. I guess only time will tell what nintendo is up to.

#3 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

If Nintendo had two or three platforms next generation that would be great

1) A hardcore home console compatible with 9th gen handheld

2) A Hardcore handheld compatible with the 9th gen home console (or make a handheld-home hybrid console!)

3) A cheap, affordable Quality of Life Platform which relies of innovation over specs

This way Nintendo can go after casuals and core gamers by having more platforms available at different price ranges. This very well could be a return of Nintendo back on top form by not bundling its casual Wii Fit and Brain training packages with its game console - giving those who want Wii Fit a cheaper platform to purchase (let's say 9th gen Nintendo console is $400 (and be fully beefed up), and their handheld is $250 (again reasonably beefy), and their QOL platform could be $100 (be between DS and 3DS spec wise) make and sell like hotcakes. All with a decent profit margin.

Thoughts?

Great idea. Although I don't think Nintendo will price a handheld higher than $199 again.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#4 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

Great idea. Although I don't think Nintendo will price a handheld higher than $199 again.

I was also counting on the rate of inflation :)

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

QoL has nothing to do with videogames though

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

fat-video-gamer1.jpg

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

fat-video-gamer1.jpg

Non Wearable.

Edited by Nollog, 08 May 2014 - 07:06 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

I was also counting on the rate of inflation :)

Bah! Only people who believe in unicorns believe in inflation! (lol jk)
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#9 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

He never said it was 

"3) A cheap, affordable Quality of Life Platform which relies of innovation over specs" He means when 9th gen comes, Nintendo should have an...

Amazing home console for the hardcore audience (or casual,if they wanna use it)

Handheld for Hardcore and casual market (Most likely both will use it)

Quality of Life product for casuals (I highly doute hardcore gamers will use this)

By doing this you're bringing in all of the audiences to use Nintendo products. Thus raising profits and getting Nintendo back on track. 

Edited by Chrop, 08 May 2014 - 07:12 AM.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

He never said it was 
"3) A cheap, affordable Quality of Life Platform which relies of innovation over specs" He means when 9th gen comes, Nintendo should have an...
Amazing home console for the hardcore audience (or casual,if they wanna use it)
Handheld for Hardcore and casual market (Most likely both will use it)
Quality of Life product for casuals (I highly doute hardcore gamers will use this)
By doing this you're bringing in all of the audiences to use Nintendo products. Thus raising profits and getting Nintendo back on track.

But QoL is nothing to do with videogame at all, Iwata all but confirmed it has absolutely nothing to do with games at all yesterday.
It could be coffee machines or printers.
More likely treadmills or something.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

I dunno. It all depends on how they balance out this QOL stuff and their gaming division. Personally I think this is the worst possible time for them to start doing something brand new. Their primary business of the past 30+ years is bombing HARD and Iwata seems to either not care or has no clue as to fix it. Improve on what you already have and THEN start looking at other avenues.

To me this is just Iwata trying to run away from a problem that's on his shoulders and I still have serious doubts that this QOL idea is going to get them anywhere. For starters, it's hardware. Unless whatever he has in mind is truly revolutionary (I doubt it) then they're going to have a hard time selling it to the casual market. Now obviously this is some platform to push health/fitness stuff and other sorts of software/programs. If Iwata was smart he would have them simply develop the software for mobile/tablet devices which would already give them a built in audience of millions and remove a significant chunk of cost/risk from this venture. 

Then, even if this does succeed and brings in some money for Nintendo, where do they go from there? Iwata obviously has no intention of saving their console business so you can bet any profits won't be reinvested in to their gaming division. Either way, I don't see QOL benefiting gamers in any way. If it bombs then it's just another wasted venture by Iwata and if it succeeds then it just gives Iwata more reason to ignore their console business. 

pNgecl.gif

#12 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

But QoL is nothing to do with videogame at all, Iwata all but confirmed it has absolutely nothing to do with games at all yesterday.
It could be coffee machines or printers.
More likely treadmills or something.

I know, and I'll say it again, he never said anything about it was anything to do with video games. 

It could be some ultra advanced Wii Fit which focuses on health that could be on 24/7 or something. It doesn't matter what it is, but it's definitely for casuals only. 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#13 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

we don't even know what QOL is going to be so how could you be sure it's a good idea?

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

I know, and I'll say it again, he never said anything about it was anything to do with video games. 
It could be some ultra advanced Wii Fit which focuses on health that could be on 24/7 or something. It doesn't matter what it is, but it's definitely for casuals only.

She called it a platform and implied Nintendo would use that platform so they could focus on her precious "hardcore" gamer.
QoL is nothing to do with videogames.

Edited by Nollog, 08 May 2014 - 08:44 AM.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

I dunno. It all depends on how they balance out this QOL stuff and their gaming division. Personally I think this is the worst possible time for them to start doing something brand new. Their primary business of the past 30+ years is bombing HARD and Iwata seems to either not care or has no clue as to fix it. Improve on what you already have and THEN start looking at other avenues.

To me this is just Iwata trying to run away from a problem that's on his shoulders and I still have serious doubts that this QOL idea is going to get them anywhere. For starters, it's hardware. Unless whatever he has in mind is truly revolutionary (I doubt it) then they're going to have a hard time selling it to the casual market. Now obviously this is some platform to push health/fitness stuff and other sorts of software/programs. If Iwata was smart he would have them simply develop the software for mobile/tablet devices which would already give them a built in audience of millions and remove a significant chunk of cost/risk from this venture. 

Then, even if this does succeed and brings in some money for Nintendo, where do they go from there? Iwata obviously has no intention of saving their console business so you can bet any profits won't be reinvested in to their gaming division. Either way, I don't see QOL benefiting gamers in any way. If it bombs then it's just another wasted venture by Iwata and if it succeeds then it just gives Iwata more reason to ignore their console business.

You should go take a look at Nintendo's financial breifing they just finished last night.

Now is a great time to do this. A perfect time would have been during the wii and ds's reign, but this is better late than never. The videogame market is a highly volatile market, It is at one of its most volatile points it has ever been in. The corporate narrative thats been pushed for the past 7 years is slowly falling apart and people are slowly starting to become self aware of how bad they have been abused and used. The marketing teams are going into overdrive to try and tranqulize and reinnoculate the masses into a docile exploitable state, but its not going to happen. This coming storm is inevitable, and only magnified by every year of suppression endured.

Nintendo needs other non gaming platforms to weather times like this, as Nintendo has weathered several like this before, they ARE the OLDEST games only platform company in existance. And what they are using it for is great.

This is why it is absolutely imperitive someone like Iwata remains president of Nintendo, instead of some marketing douche. You want the man behind Earthbound, mistakes and all. Not some marketing douche who is going to make Nintendo a boatload of money by raping us with game design monetization scams of all our favourite franchises.

ANYWAYS the quality of life platform as proposed by Iwata, is a safety net for Nintendo to remain profitable, even through bad times and times where great game design is not appreciated until it is too late, and is in fact attacked by pr gamz girnoliz paid by rival companies.

The QOL platform and other pillars will enable Nintendo to have the income to properly satisfy the current user base of this generation, before introducing the next generation.

The qol platform, and other platforms of revenue will simply allow Nintendo to be fiscally secure enough to continue being Nintendo, to continue putting quality game design, above all else, instead of becoming a scam company like every other major publisher.

Some quotes from Iwata:

For Quality of Life, don’t think too narrowly of Nintendo, we can make fun, healthy services

Not pessimistic on games, but want other pillars as safety net for games business

Not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new, but until existing users are satisfied, we cannot release next hardware

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!