• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

“When it comes to human characters, Mario Kart 8 is overwhelmingly white. Of the 29 drivers, 14 are human (including Toad and Toadette), and every single one of them is white”.

Wow.... So every single game needs to have every race and every skin colour included from now on or this guy will cry racism.

Unless he is just having a dig at Nintendo for the sake of it?

Dumb ass.

http://wiiudaily.com...olor-diversity/

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

Why was nollog allowed to review MK8?

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

It has Mii's.

Nintendo could do with more Asian characters though.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

Wheres the critisizing? Or the calling of the game racist?

Where is the source to the actual review? What was actually said?

I know what was actually said. I know the score to the actual review. I know this article is full of crap.

Think. Think LONG and HARD about what you are about to do and say here.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

I find this really stupid. Besides, there are Miis. That's how I've played as Sonic, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Samus, Master Chief, and many others. You can always make a black person.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

I find this really stupid. Besides, there are Miis. That's how I've played as Sonic, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Samus, Master Chief, and many others. You can always make a black person.

http://en.wikipedia....lse_equivalence

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

http://www.pastemaga...view-wii-u.html

The other notable omission is in the cast of characters’ diversity. After 30 years there are still zero Mario characters of color, a problem that Mario Kart 8 highlights by lining up all the characters on a single screen. When it comes to human characters, Mario Kart 8 is overwhelmingly white. Of the 29 drivers, 14 are human (including Toad and Toadette), and every single one of them is white. While it’d be atypical of Nintendo to introduce new characters into a Mario Kart game, it’s also where the deficit is the most obvious, and during play I found myself disappointed that Nintendo’s stable of characters so painfully fails to reflect the diversity of its audience.

Despite these omissions, as glaring as the last one is, Mario Kart 8 brings back a type of game long absent from my living room. Sure, there are new power-ups to play with and new tricks, like dodging red shells, to learn, and it’d be nice if there were more courses. That all falls away, though, as the core of Mario Kart 8 delivers exactly what I wanted—a return to the “friends screaming at each other, red-spark generating, mercilessly hitting-each-other-with-shells” action that made the series fun from the start.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:04 AM

Wheres the critisizing? Or the calling of the game racist?

Where is the source to the actual review? What was actually said?

I know what was actually said. I know the score to the actual review. I know this article is full of crap.

Think. Think LONG and HARD about what you are about to do and say here.

Regardless of the score, the criticism was for lack of skin colour diversity.

Why would someone bring up that in a videogame in the first place and you don't have to be a genius to see the not so hidden meaning.

#9 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:35 AM

Can't wait to read PETA's review.  HOW MANY TURTLES HAD TO BE DE-SHELLED FOR THIS GAME TO BE MADE?!

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#10 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

The guy who wrote the review is a comedian so he might have been joking. He also jokes at the bottom. Either way I doubt he was really that upset

Edited by Gimbal, 18 May 2014 - 08:17 AM.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

Toilet_Snaker, on 18 May 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:
Regardless of the score, the criticism was for lack of skin colour diversity.
Why would someone bring up that in a videogame in the first place and you don't have to be a genius to see the not so hidden meaning.

YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE A HIDDEN horsing MEANING OR REASON TO LET COLORED PEOPLE INTO YOUR GAMES YOU PRIVELEDGED ASSHAT.

what the horsing hell is wrong with you people!!!!

THERE IS NO GOD DAMN HIDDEN MEANING.

He saw a line up of mario kart characters on the screen, and realized the things that look like people, theyre all white, and it waas extremely obvious.

Like this, or practically any god damn thing like it you can find in public media:
All_Characters.jpg
Hey look, they're all white.

There was no criticism, do you know what criticism means? He made an observation, stated his opinion on it, and then went on to say mario kart, WAS NOT THE PLACE FOR THE CHANGE TO HAPPEN, BUT JUST ONE PLACE WHERE IT IS EXTREMELY NOTICABLE.

IT DID NOT AFFECT THE SCORE OR THE GAMES RATING THERE IS NO HIDDEN MEANING. It was simply an observation. Stop being a tool.

Gimbal, on 18 May 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:
The guy who wrote the review is a comedian so he might have been joking. He also jokes at the bottom. Either way I doubt he was really that upset

The only thing he got upset about was the volume of monsters that came out of the woodwork to try and make a huge deal out of this. Disgusting, disgusting people.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE A HIDDEN horsing MEANING OR REASON TO LET COLORED PEOPLE INTO YOUR GAMES YOU PRIVELEDGED ASSHAT.

what the horsing hell is wrong with you people!!!!

THERE IS NO GOD DAMN HIDDEN MEANING.

He saw a line up of mario kart characters on the screen, and realized the things that look like people, theyre all white, and it waas extremely obvious.

Like this, or practically any god damn thing like it you can find in public media:
All_Characters.jpg
Hey look, they're all white.

There was no criticism, do you know what criticism means? He made an observation, stated his opinion on it, and then went on to say mario kart, WAS NOT THE PLACE FOR THE CHANGE TO HAPPEN, BUT JUST ONE PLACE WHERE IT IS EXTREMELY NOTICABLE.

IT DID NOT AFFECT THE SCORE OR THE GAMES RATING THERE IS NO HIDDEN MEANING. It was simply an observation. Stop being a tool.

The only thing he got upset about was the volume of monsters that came out of the woodwork to try and make a huge deal out of this. Disgusting, disgusting people.

Yeah I did some research and saw some responses from him and he was definitely serious but he wasn't wrong. I don't see why people are so upset that he mentioned it and are claiming he called the game racist.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#13 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

@3dude

You are making yourself look ridiculous if you cannot see any thing wrong with bringing up race in a f-ing videogame, especially something that is as innocent as MK8.

Oh the guys a comedian, he can say what he likes, bring up race for reactions and laugh his ass off while some people interpret the review as a dig at Nintendo while others (such as 3dude) foolishly stand on the empty side of the fence and twist the original comment into something as simple as an observation.

Edited by Toilet_Snaker, 18 May 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#14 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

^^ Uh no.

You are making yourself look ridiculous if you cannot see any thing wrong with bringing up race in a f-ing videogame, especially something that is as innocent as MK8.

Oh the guys a comedian, he can say what he likes, bring up race for reactions and laugh his ass off while some people interpret the review as a dig at Nintendo while others (such as 3dude) foolishly stand on the empty side of the fence and twist the original comment into something as simple as an observation.

As ridiculous as throwing a tantrum because he mentioned it?

As ridiculous as throwing a tantrum because someone took a dig at a video game company?

I laugh at people who interpret it as a dig at Nintendo. By the by it was as simple as a mention. He mentions it then goes on to give the game more praise. I don't think Mario Kart needs more races(lawl) but I don't think he's wrong for thinking it does. Calm down. I'm not the one who looks ridiculous.

Edited by Gimbal, 18 May 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#15 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

As ridiculous as throwing a tantrum because he mentioned it?

As ridiculous as throwing a tantrum because someone took a dig at a video game company?

I laugh at people who interpret it as a dig at Nintendo. By the by it was as simple as a mention. He mentions it then goes on to give the game more praise. I don't think Mario Kart needs more races(lawl) but I don't think he's wrong for thinking it does. Calm down. I'm not the one who looks ridiculous.

Don't post crap in my direction, thanks. I wasn't replying to you.

Edited by Toilet_Snaker, 18 May 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

Gimbal, on 18 May 2014 - 1:15 PM, said:
Yeah I did some research and saw some responses from him and he was definitely serious but he wasn't wrong. I don't see why people are so upset that he mentioned it and are claiming he called the game racist.

Because it has nothing to do with racism. Even the article pointing out the white roster has nothing to do with racism. Its simply about inclusion, an observation on a lack of representation... Racism is about believing people are inferior/superior based on the color of their skin. COMPLETELY different subject. Most of those morons arent racist just priveledged and blind. And stupid. I blame the the devolution of modern game design for the stupid...

They are attacking him because its a mario kart 8 review,and most of them didnt even read the article or even see the score, but heard it from some gamz girnoliz idiotic headline and flew off on ignorant knee jerk reactions all for the sake of 'protecting mario kart'... Just like toilet snaker.

Had mario kart, say, included a diverse cast, like say just charming designs for racers around the world instead of half a cast of baby characters, and he praised the game, they would have been right there praising him for bringing it up instead... Because its praising mario kart.

Instead the obnoxious little morons will try and find any hair brained argument or fallacious logic to try and twist this into an attack against mario kart to be defended against, completely blind and oblivious to the ridiculous things they are saying.

Just like toilet snaker, who has no idea he just said he needs to keep the blacks out of mario kart to keep it innocent.

What you have here, is the text book definition of priviledged.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

Don't post crap in my direction, thanks. I wasn't replying to you.

Everything you said seemed to be a direct response to what I said not to what 3Dude said. 3Dude never mentioned him being a comedian I did. 3Dude never directly said he wasn't wrong(though he strongly implied it) I did.  Also I still have your original post quoted that just had "^^Uh no" and arrows pointing directly at my post not 3Dude's 6 minutes after I made my post so I doubt you were ninja'dEven if you weren't talking to me everything you said still applied to me so I'll still respond. If you weren't responding to me sorry but all signs suggested you were.

Actually forget this whole post. You were definitely responding to me because you talked about 3Dude as an aside. "others(such as 3Dude)" if you were really talking to 3Dude you would have said "people like you" etc. Don't lie bro.

Edited by Gimbal, 18 May 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#18 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Everything you said seemed to be a direct response to what I said not to what 3Dude said. 3Dude never mentioned him being a comedian I did. 3Dude never directly said he wasn't wrong(though he strongly implied it) I did.  Also I still have your original post quoted that just had "^^Uh no" and arrows pointing directly at my post not 3Dude's 6 minutes after I made my post so I doubt you were ninja'dEven if you weren't talking to me everything you said still applied to me so I'll still respond. If you weren't responding to me sorry but all signs suggested you were.

Actually forget this whole post. You were definitely responding to me because you talked about 3Dude as an aside. "others(such as 3Dude)" if you were really talking to 3Dude you would have said "people like you" etc. Don't lie bro.

The last comment I saw before posting was from the arrogant dick, again who I was replying to.

Don't really give two craps what you think, certain people on here have showed their true colours and has been noted...

As for 3dude, this just confirms the self righteous prick that I knew he was. The forum idiot.

He might know about specs but apart from that his opinions and comments towards others all point to a sad moron, unable to comprehend such an article can split opinions.

Edited by Toilet_Snaker, 18 May 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

Toilet_Snaker, on 18 May 2014 - 1:21 PM, said:
@3dude

Corey Malone- On his mario Kart 8 review.

"Some people (I use the term loosely [sick burn, bro {thanks dude}]), have taken offense at the following excerpt from my review of Mario Kart 8 -

The other notable omission is in the cast of characters’ diversity. After 30 years there are still zero Mario characters of color, a problem that Mario Kart 8 highlights by lining up all the characters on a single screen. When it comes to human characters, Mario Kart 8 is overwhelmingly white. Of the 29 drivers, 14 are human (including Toad and Toadette), and every single one of them is white. While it’d be atypical of Nintendo to introduce new characters into a Mario Kart game, it’s also where the deficit is the most obvious, and during play I found myself disappointed that Nintendo’s stable of characters so painfully fails to reflect the diversity of its audience.

All these comments are laden with confusion as to why I’d bring this up in a review of a video game. People have ascribed a bunch of political motives to me, or claimed I’m part of the “Social Justice Warrior trend” in games journalism, or that I bring it up for “click bait,” or for a hundred other reasons. While the people in the comments of that article are mostly, frankly, monsters, I thought that maybe some non-monsters were wondering the same thing, so here’s why I chose to bring up the issue of race in Mario Kart 8.

Because when playing the game, I noticed it, and I had an opinion, and my job as a reviewer is to share my opinion.

No grand conspiracy, no ‘white guilt’ - I was playing the game, and when all 30 characters were unlocked, they appeared on screen at once, and I was struck by how the overwhelming majority of them were white. After the recent conversation surrounding Tomodachi Life and after reading this article on race in Animal Crossing, maybe this stuff was on my mind, but I thought about what I saw on the screen, and formed the opinion “Nintendo can do better than this.”

And I said so, because my only job as a reviewer is to give you my opinion."

No, hes not being a comedian in this review.

See, I already knew this before you posted this idiotic topic. I already read his thoughts on this, LONG before you made your idiotic topic, which you knew nothing about, of a review you never read. and LONG before you feverishly attempted your 150,000,000,0000,000,0,0,0,0,0,46=09uetrjgkbopewtjhrp different ways to try and rationalize away simply allowing different colored people into your games, because you felt it was more important to put mario kart on a pedastal and keep it from anything you percieved as 'criticism'. (privileged)

And yes, games like mario kart, and Nintendo games in general ARE innocent, which is EXACTLY why they should be as inclusive as the audience that plays their games, it is most certainly NOT reason why they shouldnt be, or an excuse to try and freeze discussion about it, and force people to be quiet about it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

The last comment I saw before posting was from the arrogant dick, again who I was replying to.

Don't really give two craps what you think, certain people on here have showed their true colours and has been noted...

As for 3dude, this just confirms the self righteous prick that I knew he was. The forum idiot.

He might know about specs but apart from that his opinions and comments towards others all point to a sad moron, unable to comprehend such an article can split opinions.

Stop calling me names.  :(

Why is that a bad thing? This topic you started also split opinions. Do you really think you or ninty are the victims when this guy has gotten thousands of hate messages because he said "diversity"? Calm down. This should not be that important to you. Even if he did call the game racist, (and he didn't) or tried to click-bait(which he didn't) does it really matter? If he's calling it racist no one agrees with him and he's already gotten thousands of dissenting remarks. If it's a dig at ninty...who cares? Do you really think a small mention of diversity that no one agrees with hurt ninty? If he did it for click-bait you're just helping to him get clicks. If you're upset because that article upset people then you're just adding to the list. Calm down? Maybe? You care about this a whole lot more than ninty does that's for sure. You're not helping them by getting mad at this dude either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!