11 replies to this topic

#1 99_vodkas

99_vodkas

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hi Guys,

i love my wii u, it's so so fun. I also have an xbox one and at the moment the wii u gets more attentions and provides a lot more fun.

Now the only issue is the lack of storage...

i want to buy a hard drive for the wii u and when i google search the only results i get are from 2012 for 2tb and 1tb hard drives. (ie the nintendo endorsed ones)

I really want a more comprehensive list, especially that includes newer hard drives. i'm struggling to find these on ebay yet alone in store.

Would be great to see a fresher list especially one that includes 250 GB and 500 GB hard drives :) please shoot me some suggestions for newer and easier obtainable hard drives. Particularly of the 250 GB and 500 GB capacity :)

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

I just plugged a USB thumb drive I had laying around worked fine. Any USB HDD should work. The 2 TB is just the largest HDD WiiU will accept. Just go to newegg or Amazon and get one for like 50$ for 500GB. External 3.5inch drives would work fine. I would at least say go with seagate or western digital. Unless someone tells me different I believe they are still the most trusted.

#3 99_vodkas

99_vodkas

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

ok i have a portable western digital hard drive that is 750 GB you reckon that might do the trick?

I'll check it out when i get home but my understanding was you need a powered hard drive. worth a try using my portable hard drive though :)

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

ok i have a portable western digital hard drive that is 750 GB you reckon that might do the trick?

I'll check it out when i get home but my understanding was you need a powered hard drive. worth a try using my portable hard drive though :)

Thats what nintendo said... But a lot of us are surprised at just how wide a variety actually works.

Nintendo was likely being conservative not because of compatability, but to protect the hard drives (and thus themselves) from possible damages from being run on too low voltage.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:56 PM

I'm also in the same boat. I want to order from the eShop but the Wii U internal storage will fill up in no time. Especially since we'll all get a free digital game with purchase of Mario Kart 8

Good information here

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:23 AM

Sure just make sure any info you have on it is backed up somewhere else. WiiU will format it,meaning deleting anything on it.

#7 Mesan3

Mesan3

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • NNID:mesan3
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Dragon ball, trombone

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

Dont forget the Y connector cable.

#8 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

Rule of thumb seems to be that any drive with its own power source works, and any drive without its own power source will work if connected using a Y-cable to access both USB ports

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#9 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

yeah virtually any USB drive will work, but some drives that get power from the USB port need a Y-connector to get enough power from the Wii U.

For the longest time I had a Cruzer Fit that fits into a single USB port and doesn't stick out. It worked really well for a while but after I decided to switch to all-digital and replaced all of my disk games, my collection of ~70 games ballooned to 50gb so I had to get a proper hard drive. I am considering getting a 64 gb microdrive, but I'd rather wait until I find a decent 128gb microdrive.

Edited by grahamf, 23 May 2014 - 11:13 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#10 Bort

Bort

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

If I remember correctly, any drive rated for USB 2.0 or older should work just fine. It's only the relatively new 3.0 drives that need a y-cable.

Edit: Don't quote me on that until I find a source.

Edit 2:

From http://www.nintendo....nal-usb-storage :

1. Can bus-powered hard disc drives be used with Wii U?

• Some bus-powered hard disc drives draw more current than the USB 2.0 specification and might not run stably, so we cannot guarantee that such devices will run properly on Wii U without the use of a supplemental power cable called a y-cable that draws power from two USB ports. For best results, we recommend using a hard drive with its own power supply that connects to the Wii U system via the USB port on the console.

So yeah. If it's officially certified as USB 2.0, you're fine. If it's 3.0/don't know, you're okay so long as you purchase a y-cable.

Edited by Bort, 23 May 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#11 99_vodkas

99_vodkas

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

yeah virtually any USB drive will work, but some drives that get power from the USB port need a Y-connector to get enough power from the Wii U.

For the longest time I had a Cruzer Fit that fits into a single USB port and doesn't stick out. It worked really well for a while but after I decided to switch to all-digital and replaced all of my disk games, my collection of ~70 games ballooned to 50gb so I had to get a proper hard drive. I am considering getting a 64 gb microdrive, but I'd rather wait until I find a decent 128gb microdrive.

Thanks everyone, i decided to keep my portable hard drive for media, as it is 1 TB. I just purchased the 32GB CRUZER FIT thanks grahamf, it is amazing.

#12 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Thanks everyone, i decided to keep my portable hard drive for media, as it is 1 TB. I just purchased the 32GB CRUZER FIT thanks grahamf, it is amazing.

i know it's so tiny! I only got the 16gb so from my experince the 32 should last a fair while

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!