14 replies to this topic

#1 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

So I've noticed that wii games are showing off their jaggedness a lot lately and I was wondering if there are any settings that help to mitigate this.

pNgecl.gif

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

Well, not really. With the wii itself It depends on your tv's upscaler, and with most products outputting a 720p or higher resolution, its just not a priority any more to have expensive beefy upscalers.

With wii u it upscales them itself... so... yeah.

Try switching to 1080i instead of 1080p. The interlacing may soften the image to your eyes.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 EskobarM92

EskobarM92

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • NNID:EskobarM92

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

Play it in 4:3 aspect ratio if possible.

Eskobar+M92.png

Wii U: EskobarM92, Xbox One: Eskobar M92, PS4: Eskobar-M92

#4 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

Take a picture from online that is 32 32 then zoom I till its full screen.

Same thing is happening with the wii. The res isn't there and the wii u is up scaling it.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#5 EskobarM92

EskobarM92

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • NNID:EskobarM92

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

can the wii u play in 480p? if not thats the reason. buy a wii + crt then you're golden

If its wii to hdtv then just find a setting for best viewing low sharpness (it will not look as good as crt).

Edited by EskobarM92, 23 May 2014 - 10:45 PM.

Eskobar+M92.png

Wii U: EskobarM92, Xbox One: Eskobar M92, PS4: Eskobar-M92

#6 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:55 AM

can the wii u play in 480p? if not thats the reason. buy a wii + crt then you're golden

If its wii to hdtv then just find a setting for best viewing low sharpness (it will not look as good as crt).

Yes. The US can play their Wii games in 480p on Wii U but of course here in Europe its 576i or 480i, quite irritating.

#7 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

I think its more a perception issue.  Wii games have ALWAYS looked jaggied to me, even when I still had my 14" CRT.

Sure its a bit more obvious on a big HDTV, but it didn't look notably better on the 14" CRT either.  The biggest improvement has been using the WiiU to upscale or playing them on the GamePad.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#8 QueenRosalina

QueenRosalina

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

I think its more a perception issue.  Wii games have ALWAYS looked jaggied to me, even when I still had my 14" CRT.

This. Wii games have always looked quite terrible to be honest. There  are exceptions but any time you compared the average Wii game (say No More Heroes) to a Ps3/Xbox360 game, the visuals were noticeable lower quality. I'm loving the Wii U's hd graphics though, especially with DKC and Pikmin 3!

#9 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Yes. The US can play their Wii games in 480p on Wii U but of course here in Europe its 576i or 480i, quite irritating.

Don't be irritated. I tried that and it looked exactly the same. 

pNgecl.gif

#10 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:46 AM

Don't be irritated. I tried that and it looked exactly the same. 

It's annoying. I bought a component cable for Wii so that it could produce 480p and there is a difference, don't get why Wii U can't do 480p in Wii mode using HDMI.

#11 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

You've got to flip the switch from Xbox One mode to Standard Definition. 

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#12 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

Wii games played on my Wii U look exactly the same as if I were playing them on the original Wii. Of course some are jaggier than others but... well, that's how they look.

I have a question for 3dude and it may sound dumb but c'mon! I'm not an expert in this field:

How can the Wii U "emulate" if you will, Wii games if they are very different consoles ( especially the GPU)?

Thank you

#13 Bort

Bort

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

It's annoying. I bought a component cable for Wii so that it could produce 480p and there is a difference, don't get why Wii U can't do 480p in Wii mode using HDMI.

It can, it just requires going into the Wii U settings and changing the resolution each time you want to play a Wii game. It would also require setting it back to HD to play Wii U games in HD. Not really any less annoying, but the option is there.

#14 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

It can, it just requires going into the Wii U settings and changing the resolution each time you want to play a Wii game. It would also require setting it back to HD to play Wii U games in HD. Not really any less annoying, but the option is there.

US yes, Wii U's in Europe can't.

#15 Bort

Bort

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

US yes, Wii U's in Europe can't.

...oh. My bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!