Photo

GC on Wii U possibility now (wishful thinking)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Insanejawa

Insanejawa

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

So with the controller adapter, and the Wii channel how hard would it be to add a memory card adapter and use the Wii channel to play GC games? I know it's just a pipe dream, but I think that would also bump up sales. It should be capable, if the Wii could read the GC discs I would also assume the Wii U could since it can read Wii discs. The only tricky things I can think of are, is the Wii channel on the U a full emulation of the Wii or just the Wii game portion, and if it is not then they would have to make a GC channel then, and how to get your saved data from the memory cards to the Wii U memory, perhaps an SD Card/thumb drive to GC Card adaptor.

#2 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

As much as I love Gamecube, Nintendo need to move on.

GC VC games in HD is better than the time it would take to make 2 generations ago backwards compatible.

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

The wii had a special motor that could take in, center, and secure gc discs. The wii u does not.

So download will be a necessity.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

As much as I love Gamecube, Nintendo need to move on.

GC VC games in HD is better than the time it would take to make 2 generations ago backwards compatible.

I agree, I think anything post-N64 should only be re-released as HD remakes.

#5 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

all this backwards play slows down moving forward.

Nintendo needs to keep on the new stuff not bring in old tech.

And it would probably be hard for them.

A control is a simple I/O input. but a emulator is something completely different.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#6 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

Its highly likely that the GC support is still in the Wii U firmware (the Wii part), and I believe for the Wii functionality it includes all the hardware (apart from controller ports and memory cards) necessary to run GC games.  So it may only be minor modifications needed, not exactly going to hold back Wii U development.

It is a shame the drive cannot accept GC discs though.  The only reason I cannot get rid of my Wii is for GC games.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#7 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Just make them downloads and could have sworn Nintendo said they would at some point. I know it's a pipe dream but I would hope to hell they would put Baten Kaitos and BK Origins on Eshop. Was Monoliths first Nintendo console game as Monolith Soft.

What other RPG series lets you play with georgouse backdrops which would look amazing in HD oh and fight in a pair of crocs? What's not to love?

bMmPM6h.jpg

xDoyEOx.jpg

3OVGqUE.jpg

Edited by Ryudo, 15 June 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#8 BloodWingdAngel

BloodWingdAngel

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • NNID:BloodWingedAngel

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

They really should move forward, but I can still see it happening somewhere down the line. I am just grateful I still have my Gamecube and games

658493.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!