Photo

Teacher claims he was fired for being an atheist who doesn't believe in any God.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

Kevin Pack, who was fired by Middlebury Community School trustees on April 2, claims that he was let go because of his atheist beliefs. Pack was hired to teach at Northridge High School in Middlebury, Indiana, in August 2013.

Pack, 29, is claiming religious discrimination by Northridge High School Principal Gerald Rasler and the Middlebury Community School trustees, who say that Pack was fired due to poor work performance.

“I was retaliated against and dismissed for filing the religious harassment complaint against Principal Gerald Rasler and for being an atheist,” Pack recently told GoshenNews.com. “I refused to pray, be a Christian or go along with any of [Rasler’s] evangelizing in the school, and they dismissed me over it.”

In school district emails, Principal Rasler made references such as: “Merry Christmas,” “May God grant you [safe] travel,” and “Please get on your knees and pray for four good weather days during finals.”

In response, Pack wrote a Dec. 11, 2013 email to Principal Rasler and the faculty which read, "Since I’m an atheist and a mystical sky daddy has nothing to do with weather, I won’t be kneeling. I will be relying on science and the oftentimes (sic) in exact (sic) science of metereology (sic). The only relability (sic) we seem to get from weather reports is how often they’re reliably wrong."

Middlebury Community Schools Superintendent Jane Allen said that school officials were advised not to talk about Pack's EEOC complaint, but the Middlebury Community Schools stated in a press release in April:

Unfortunately, some members of the local public and media did not understand or did not appreciate this sensible course of action, insinuating larger reasons for Mr. Pack’s removal from the classroom. Many of the rumors spread and other reasons implied were simply false. Mr. Pack was merely a poor teacher, whose overall performance regressed throughout the school year and showed no potential for improvement.

Full Article: http://www.opposingv...atheist-beliefs

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Yeah it's very difficult to fire a teacher so I really doubt that he was fired because he was an azzhole towards other people's religious beliefs. The guy was probably a bad teacher and he probably had a string of azzhole moments leading up to his firing.

Edited by LinkKennedy, 17 June 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

POPULAR

"I refused to pray, be a Christian or go along with any of [Rasler’s] evangelizing in the school"

"a mystical sky daddy"

Sounds like an douche, probably did have poor work performance, he couldn't just go along with the Christian school, he should have known what he was getting himself into

I'm with the school in this one. Sounds like he's just claiming the atheist thing to make the school sound bad. 

Edited by Chrop, 17 June 2014 - 09:52 AM.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

Aaaaand this is why i'm fine with being homeschooled.

794144.png?13383682

#5 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

See i've heard lots of "school is bad for firing teacher for ______ discrimination" stories, especially against Christian schools and mos times the teacher is full of crap. So i saw this and immediately thought the teacher was full of crap.

But then i'm like no, maybe it's true and this teacher actually has a case.

lol nope

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#6 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Do other atheists really take offense to people saying "merry Christmas"? I mean, you don't have to be Christian to "celebrate" Christmas. Get together, give presents, see family, etc.

#7 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Do other atheists really take offense to people saying "merry Christmas"? I mean, you don't have to be Christian to "celebrate" Christmas. Get together, give presents, see family, etc.

And it's not like (most) Christians would get mad if they they were in like the middle of Jerusalem and someone said happy Hanukkah.

Because that would just be stupid.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#8 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:09 AM

Aaaaand this is why i'm fine with being homeschooled.

Wish I was when I was in school.

Everyone I know who was homeschooled has better education than most public school kids.

Plus, none of the drugs and crap that was around at every turn.

Seriously. It's stupid.

I'm s Christian. I believe Jesus is the one true way.

But I don't take offense at every turn because an atheist group is there. Or because I have to drive by a mosque or because there's a Quran at wal mart, etc. lol

People act so childish sometimes.

But when a religion starts priding itself in physically harming "non believers" then yeah I am definitely offended...

I hope the guy didn't teach English. His spelling is horrible.

If you're going to try to attack someone else's supposed beliefs, at least don't make yourself look like a Buffon while doing so. Kinda undermines your position.

Update. Guess he was a German teacher to English speaking kids. Even worse. How are you supposed to teach a foreign language properly if you don't have a grasp of your native language.

No wonder he was fired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!