Old article, but relevant.

gamz girnalizm all da way

#22 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

Third party support was pulled from game cube en masse by halfway throught the generation, despite it being considerably more powerful than the ps2.Then, games that nintendo paid for to be exclusives, were later released on the ps2, anyways.The wii was treated as a crapping ground for 3rd parties. They in general, didnt release any games of any effort, and in the very, very, VERY rare case they did, and the dev team was excited and putting their all in it, they got budget screwed publisher end, ensuring that the game could in no way shape or form compete as a whole game with the publishers output on ps360. See: Red steel 2.And then, we have the 3ds, higheest selling platform, highest install base of this generation.Where are all the western 3rd party games? Where are they?Where. Are. They.

Third party support was just fine on the GameCube throughout its lifespan and no different then the PS2 or Xbox for the most part. The only main difference was the abundance of Japanese RPG's on the PS2.

As to games Nintendo paid for as exclusives appearing on other consoles that's irrelevant as it happens to all consoles and even happened to the PS2 and Xbox.

Regards the Wii yes there was a lot of shovel ware on it but there were a lot of great third party games as well. I had more quality games for my Wii then my Xbox 360 partly because games were far more original and innovative as opposed to the run of the mill FPS games on Xbox 360 and third person hack and slash games on the PS3.

As for the 3DS it may not have a lot of western third party support it has loads of Japanese third party support a lot of which are top notch quality games.

My point still stands. The lack of third party support on the Wii U has nothing what so ever to do with it being a Nintendo console. A lot of people are way to quick to defend Nintendo and put the blame on other companies when the hole they're in with the Wii U is much of their own doing.

#23 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Since it doesn't seem like we are going to merge this with the other thread, I'll just copy-paste what I put in the other one:

Not unless you actually throw money their way, Nintendo.  The best we are gonna get is probably: a small handful of good exclusives, some ports ranging from gimped to decent, and MAYBE a few japanese developed multiplats.

#24 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

Third party support was just fine on the GameCube throughout its lifespan and no different then the PS2 or Xbox for the most part. The only main difference was the abundance of Japanese RPG's on the PS2.

As to games Nintendo paid for as exclusives appearing on other consoles that's irrelevant as it happens to all consoles and even happened to the PS2 and Xbox.

Regards the Wii yes there was a lot of shovel ware on it but there were a lot of great third party games as well. I had more quality games for my Wii then my Xbox 360 partly because games were far more original and innovative as opposed to the run of the mill FPS games on Xbox 360 and third person hack and slash games on the PS3.

As for the 3DS it may not have a lot of western third party support it has loads of Japanese third party support a lot of which are top notch quality games.

My point still stands. The lack of third party support on the Wii U has nothing what so ever to do with it being a Nintendo console. A lot of people are way to quick to defend Nintendo and put the blame on other companies when the hole they're in with the Wii U is much of their own doing.

You HAVE NO POINT.

What you have is a fictional narrative you find attractive.

Iwatas Nintendo are damn SAINTS to 3rd parties compared to Yamauchi's N64 and gamecube days.

3rd parties dropped multiplat cube support, because Yamauchi literally told them they sucked, and anyone who made games for multiple platforms instead of unique games were worthless hacks, and he forced EVERYONE at nintendo to yes man this philosophy.

The n64/cube ARE THE REASONS 3rd parties wont do anything 'because its nintendo'.

Educate yourself.

http://www.dromble.c...ry-of-gamecube/

Eidos announced to the press that they were pulling support for the GameCube, and they told other publishers to follow their lead. “The GameCube is a declining business. If other companies follow us, [Nintendo] will have a hard battle to fight,” said Eido’s Chief Executive Mike McGarvey.

who was once part of the Ultra 64 “Dream Team” in 1995, had a great relationship with Nintendo. By 2003, the relationship soured, and Acclaim dropped its support for the Nintendo GameCube.

One by one, publishers began dropping their GameCube support like flies. At a Dutch event that same year (2003), Atari announced that Driver 3, Mission Impossible: Operation Surma, and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines had all been cancelled on the GameCube and planned to axe other GameCube titles as well.

THQ followed Atari’s lead by cancelling the GameCube version of “The Suffering” and told the press that the game would still come to PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

Midway would also revealed that it had no future plans for Gamecube. “Mortal Kombat: Deception is not under development for GameCube,” a Midway representative said...

Educate your damn self.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#25 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

It's me!

I have been asking for like a year and a half now why we care about 3rd party support.

Nintendo for a long time now has been really a first party machine. You want good first party games and 3rd party. .. get a PS4

You get a Wii U as a second machine for the awesome Nintendo games. I will always have a Nintendo console. But I will have the others as well for the 3rd party games.

As some one who owns a Wii U, PS, Xbox One, 3ds and a Vita, I must say the Wii U is the one I am most excited for during this next year or so of releases.

Edited by Dharmanator, 21 June 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#26 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

You HAVE NO POINT.

Iwatas Nintendo are damn SAINTS to 3rd parties compared to Yamauchi's N64 and gamecube days.

3rd parties dropped multiplat cube support, because Yamauchi literally told them they sucked, and anyone who made games for multiple platforms instead of unique games were worthless hacks, and he forced EVERYONE at nintendo to yes man this philosophy.

The n64/cube ARE THE REASONS 3rd parties wont do anything 'because its nintendo'.

Educate yourself.

Eidos announced to the press that they were pulling support for the GameCube, and they told other publishers to follow their lead. “The GameCube is a declining business. If other companies follow us, [Nintendo] will have a hard battle to fight,” said Eido’s Chief Executive Mike McGarvey.

who was once part of the Ultra 64 “Dream Team” in 1995, had a great relationship with Nintendo. By 2003, the relationship soured, and Acclaim dropped its support for the Nintendo GameCube.

One by one, publishers began dropping their GameCube support like flies. At a Dutch event that same year (2003), Atari announced that Driver 3, Mission Impossible: Operation Surma, and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines had all been cancelled on the GameCube and planned to axe other GameCube titles as well.

THQ followed Atari’s lead by cancelling the GameCube version of “The Suffering” and told the press that the game would still come to PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

Midway would also revealed that it had no future plans for Gamecube. “Mortal Kombat: Deception is not under development for GameCube,” a Midway representative said...

Educate your damn self.

yeah, Iwata's got a long uphill battle with third parties, but I think the indie scene will give them a place to prove to big publishers that Iwata's Nintendo is worth putting games on. Nintendo just needs to make it a goal they slowly and methodically move towards through the Wii U's life cycle and they will be fine.

I'd personally be going for every indie/kickstarter game I could get while trying to get as much cooperation from companies like Ubisoft and Square Enix. I know Ubi kind of messed with them on Watch Dogs and Rayman, but they are at least supporting the console. Which is a start, even if it was a lousy one.

#27 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

You HAVE NO POINT.

Educate yourself.

Educate your damn self.

Wow I didn't know that was the reason third parties are so crappy to Nintendo these days. Probably cause I was like 7 when this was happening :/

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#28 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:57 AM

Wow I didn't know that was the reason third parties are so crappy to Nintendo these days. Probably cause I was like 7 when this was happening Either

Either way Nintendo is DELUSIONAL if they think 3rd parties are going to bring quality games to their console. We will probably never see a GTA, Skyrim, BATTLEFIELD, we can keep going on a Nintendo home console EVER. I love what they are doing now get those mid tier good games that need backing and brng those as exclusive. keep bringing the heat 1st party and indies are delivering so MY WII U IS VERY HAPPY. F__ __ K 3rd parties

#29 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Either way Nintendo is DELUSIONAL if they think 3rd parties are going to bring quality games to their console. We will probably never see a GTA, Skyrim, BATTLEFIELD, we can keep going on a Nintendo home console EVER. I love what they are doing now get those mid tier good games that need backing and brng those as exclusive. keep bringing the heat 1st party and indies are delivering so MY WII U IS VERY HAPPY. F__ __ K 3rd parties

It's very possible Nintendo is just saying this because it's a smart business move and not because they actually believe it. I think they're more aware than anyone why the 3rd parties are being prissy little douches.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#30 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

GTA trash,Skyrim trash,Battlefeild Trash. Yes they believe they can get 3rd party support but they are not looking at those three. They better believe they can get some 3rd party support otherwise just quit and give up making a system at all. At best right now they can only get more AC,CoD if they get some sales up. This is why Nintendo published games like Devils Third and Bayonetta 2 and work closely to make games like Hyrule Warriors. They bought 50% of Fatal Frame. Got games like The Last Story on Wii. You really need to stop projecting them getting the same 3 games you keep wanting over and over again. You want that trash then go play them on the systems they are on. Seriously stop with GTA WiiU rainbow. Not all 3rd party is movie budget games with little actual development put into it. You can get a lot of smaller niche gems as well. Also it's loaded with indies. WiiU right now offers more than PS4 or XBO. AAA,AA,A,-A

#31 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

GTA trash,Skyrim trash,Battlefeild Trash. Yes they believe they can get 3rd party support but they are not looking at those three. They better believe they can get some 3rd party support otherwise just quit and give up making a system at all. At best right now they can only get more AC,CoD if they get some sales up. This is why Nintendo published games like Devils Third and Bayonetta 2 and work closely to make games like Hyrule Warriors. They bought 50% of Fatal Frame. Got games like The Last Story on Wii. You really need to stop projecting them getting the same 3 games you keep wanting over and over again. You want that trash then go play them on the systems they are on. Seriously stop with GTA WiiU rainbow. Not all 3rd party is movie budget games with little actual development put into it. You can get a lot of smaller niche gems as well. Also it's loaded with indies. WiiU right now offers more than PS4 or XBO. AAA,AA,A,-A

Here we go. I have never played a GTA home console game but i am not delusional either it is one of the best selling games every year that it comes out. I am willing to bet if WiiU got a proper GTA game it would sell more than the last couple of ubisoft assassin creeds games combined. Its one thing to get third party support knowinmg people are not going to buy the game like what has been happening. Why i mention those games are they have a better chance of selling on WiiU than what we have been getting. Seriously most are less than 1% of total sales. So please so get aall hyped up and defensive for no reason.

#32 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

Here we go. I have never played a GTA home console game but i am not delusional either it is one of the best selling games every year that it comes out. I am willing to bet if WiiU got a proper GTA game it would sell more than the last couple of ubisoft assassin creeds games combined. Its one thing to get third party support knowinmg people are not going to buy the game like what has been happening. Why i mention those games are they have a better chance of selling on WiiU than what we have been getting. Seriously most are less than 1% of total sales. So please so get aall hyped up and defensive for no reason.

Well if you think that GTA will sell on the U you're a lil bit delusional. AC, Skyrim and GTA are all great games but they aren't what you'd call games for a Nintendo Console. I too want AC and GTA on the U but it isn't anything capable of driving the sales up, cause those who have a U are most likely not buying it for it and those who don't have it prefer it on their PS?/Xbox? cause it isn't for a kiddy ninty system.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#33 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:44 AM

Well if you think that GTA will sell on the U you're a lil bit delusional. AC, Skyrim and GTA are all great games but they aren't what you'd call games for a Nintendo Console. I too want AC and GTA on the U but it isn't anything capable of driving the sales up, cause those who have a U are most likely not buying it for it and those who don't have it prefer it on their PS?/Xbox? cause it isn't for a kiddy ninty system.

Quality. U tend to think that rockstarare better devs than ubisoft just my opinion. At this point who cares certain thing just are not going to happen. But i think a GTA on a nintendo home console would be able to sell more than 1% of total sales. Again its not going to happen this gen so... Its whatever.

#34 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:01 AM

Quality. U tend to think that rockstarare better devs than ubisoft just my opinion. At this point who cares certain thing just are not going to happen. But i think a GTA on a nintendo home console would be able to sell more than 1% of total sales. Again its not going to happen this gen so... Its whatever.

Rockstar are great devs but Quality can only take you so far. AC Black Flag was a quality game, maybe not rockstar quality but it was a welcome change from previous installments. Still it didn't sell, W101 is a quality game but it didn't sell (yes I know 2nd party but still). A game like GTA sells to the masses but on something niche as the U it wouldn't no matter the quality.

#35 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:07 AM

Rockstar are great devs but Quality can only take you so far. AC Black Flag was a quality game, maybe not rockstar quality but it was a welcome change from previous installments. Still it didn't sell, W101 is a quality game but it didn't sell (yes I know 2nd party but still). A game like GTA sells to the masses but on something niche as the U it wouldn't no matter the quality.

Also have to remember a GTA game has NEVER graced a nintendo home console. I think that could help its case. But like i said we will have to wait until nintendo releases a new home console to revisit because this 8th gen is not going to see it happen.

#36 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:12 AM

Also have to remember a GTA game has NEVER graced a nintendo home console. I think that could help its case. But like i said we will have to wait until nintendo releases a new home console to revisit because this 8th gen is not going to see it happen.

It didn't happen with AC who also had never seen a release on a Nintendo console. It was a clean slate, they started with a new assassin and everything didn't work and I think the same will happen cause it will be the sixth GTA entry, eventhough there aren't any big story plots.

#37 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

It didn't happen with AC who also had never seen a release on a Nintendo console. It was a clean slate, they started with a new assassin and everything didn't work and I think the same will happen cause it will be the sixth GTA entry, eventhough there aren't any big story plots.

GTA is a older franchise. I remember a lot of Nintendo fans being pissed GTA never came to gamecube. Assassin creed is even though it has so many games a 7th gen ip its over done. GTA comes out maybe two games per gen. I believe it would get a lot of support just from finally being on a nintendo home console. But i seriously at this point doubt we will ever see it. Rumors were that rockstar were one of the first studios to get WiiU (project cafe at the time) dev kits. I thought for sure we would see a GTA game on WiiU... Now we know its a pipe dream.

#38 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

Nintendo was involved with GTA Chinatown Wars and gave it their blessing.

Iwata and Shiggy toured the NYC offices for that game alone. Chinatown wars sold like utter rainbow on DS so was ported to PSP to make up for losses.

Edited by Ryudo, 26 June 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#39 Leland

Leland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

I think they're more aware than anyone why the 3rd parties are being prissy little douches.

Probably because Yamamuchi told them that their business models were wrong and that's not the type of content he wants on his systems.

If you tell a girl she sucks, don't be surprised if she stops calling you.

#40 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

Probably because Yamamuchi told them that their business models were wrong and that's not the type of content he wants on his systems.

If you tell a girl she sucks, don't be surprised if she stops calling you.

yeah i know, 3dude already said that.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!