#1 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, StarFox, Kid Icarus, SSB

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Let me know what you guys think of my fan-made commercial and Wii U cover art.

2s8pw9i.jpg

Bayonetta2banner102414.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#2 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

Lose the red outer glow on the text, or atleast tone it down. the image you used it too dark and low-quality. the game/system sold seperatly was kinda weird? the music didn't fit right, and the footage/cuts could've been better. But I do like the cover being dark, gives it a more mature feel kinda, and yeah.

Stupid Snowmads!

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

Boxart looks low rez and seems to send a misleading message it's just a Mech game. Ad music does not fit tells me nothing on the game..

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

Sorry mate, but Im inclined to agree with the above.

Nobody wants to see cutscenes of X, for a TV spot. They want to see what THEY can do in the game.

With games like Xenoblade, and Blade X, the most important part of the game, is the world you explore. Thats precisely when Xenoblade became a must have hit.

When Nintendo released the world exploration trailers:

Everyone and their grandmother can effortlessly crap out cutscenes now. But to make actual WORLDS worht exploring, instead of being funneled through a tube to the next cutscene?

Xenoblade showed us acting of our own free will. Anywhere we could see was practically something we could use our skills, wit, and ingenuity to get to.

Compared to other games, and their restrictions upon restrictions upon restrictions. Look, but dont go there. No you cant actually do that. No, thats just for display, no theres an invisible wall. No. NO. No. No. No. No.

Compared to that, we were as Gods.

Thats why so many people were pissed about the X story/cutscene trailer at e3.... But then were bubbering with pure joy at the treehouse videos.

Thats what people want to see from a Xenoblade commercial. Same with the box art, should be about the world, which is the main star of the game.

Not saying its not cool looking... Just that again, everybody and their grandma can crap out heavilly marketed an focus tested 'cool' today. Practically NOBODY, can do the things X is doing outside of cutscenes.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

the box will feature an overview of the world, I'm calling it now, or at least a large field.
the focus on the game seems to be the large expansive world.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

Sorry to hear all those negative comments.  The hard part is the red glow in "Xenoblade Chronicles" is from the in-game demo.  Secondly, this clip contains cut scenes from the game.  I have a 30-second fan made spot of the gameplay before the finalized title was announced at E3.

Edited by uPadWatcher2, 22 June 2014 - 08:26 AM.

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#7 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

I believe something like this is better for the cover. It needs a little doctoring to smooth it out but for me tells you what you need to know. Humans mechs big world and a subtle hint maybe about the plot with Neo LA back thier and the thing says 47%

igX43SLfUgLb9.jpg

#8 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

Can you make a back-pan pic?  The reason why is that it has no room fit a Doll for that cover.

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

I don't know how to PS. Just know someone with the right skills would maybe use something like that as it kinda tells you all.

#10 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Here's an alternate Wii U cover art as requested by Ryudo.  This is as good as it gets...

Xenoblade_Chronicles_XWii_UCover2.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#11 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Sorry mate, but Im inclined to agree with the above.

Nobody wants to see cutscenes of X, for a TV spot. They want to see what THEY can do in the game.

With games like Xenoblade, and Blade X, the most important part of the game, is the world you explore. Thats precisely when Xenoblade became a must have hit.

When Nintendo released the world exploration trailers:

Everyone and their grandmother can effortlessly crap out cutscenes now. But to make actual WORLDS worht exploring, instead of being funneled through a tube to the next cutscene?

Xenoblade showed us acting of our own free will. Anywhere we could see was practically something we could use our skills, wit, and ingenuity to get to.

Compared to other games, and their restrictions upon restrictions upon restrictions. Look, but dont go there. No you cant actually do that. No, thats just for display, no theres an invisible wall. No. NO. No. No. No. No.

Compared to that, we were as Gods.

Thats why so many people were pissed about the X story/cutscene trailer at e3.... But then were bubbering with pure joy at the treehouse videos.

Thats what people want to see from a Xenoblade commercial. Same with the box art, should be about the world, which is the main star of the game.

Not saying its not cool looking... Just that again, everybody and their grandma can crap out heavilly marketed an focus tested 'cool' today. Practically NOBODY, can do the things X is doing outside of cutscenes.

I get what your saying about exploration, and thats great, I love it. But I think the more action focused trailer, like this one, is fine too. Like the little girl in the taco commericial, why not both? 

Stupid Snowmads!

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

Here's an alternate Wii U cover art as requested by Ryudo.  This is as good as it gets...

Xenoblade_Chronicles_XWii_UCover2.png

Not showing up on Chrome or FF.

May just want to host it

http://imgur.com/

#13 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Would this do...?

dcYdAsY.jpg

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Exactly the scene I was thinking of for what would make a great cover. It is a pretty fantastic scene composition. Good balance between positive and negative space. Try making the logo letters white, or actually just try the jpn one, its the same logo but in white.

Just to see which looks best.

Honestly, Im pretty sure this is going to end up being considerably better than the finished (Front) box art. Im hoping their will be reversible boxart again. Mayhap you should make a high res/cleaned up shot of yours, the resolution of a game cover (Just have the rest of the picture extend for the back of the box, the front is perfect) in case the official one is woefully atrocious.

I get what your saying about exploration, and thats great, I love it. But I think the more action focused trailer, like this one, is fine too. Like the little girl in the taco commericial, why not both?

Because, unfortunately, most human beings are too stupid and impulsive. Well, not REALLY.

The problem is a combination of psychological phenomenon, but the main one is known as the Halo effect. Or specifically in this case the negative halo effect or 'Devils effect'.

The Halo effect is a cognitive bias where, upon being presented with an initial impression, most human beings will, with surprising consistancy, have that initial impression strongly influence their judgement of person or thing on the whole.

Edward Thorndike found that, when presented with a picture of a handsome man, his subjects would invariably also rate his other attributes high, they would think he was intelligent, strong, competent, motivated, self sacrificing, a good leader. He also found, that when presented with an ugly person, they would think he was stupid, lazy, selfish, incompetent, a poor leader.

Thorndike noticed that these correlations were ridiculously high across the board for everyone in his study. As he stated 'the correlation was too high and too even', the people were in consistant 'constant error' in their judgement.
When this cognitive bias was in favor of something, it was called a 'halo effect' when it was against something, it was called a 'negative halo' or 'devils' effect.

Unfortunately no sooner than his report came out than marketing teams got a hold of it.
And Now you know why this stupid kind of rainbow happens:

image695244x.jpg

And why aaaaaaaa conglomerate publishers always unleash cgi trailers saying they are the real thing and then downgrade them.

SO. Now here we are, with Xenoblade Chronicles, a game that puts an amazing sense of scale, incredible world design, tons of life, no loading times, and no restrictions as a higher priority than up close detail like character models, and as such, up close the detail takes a little hit, and on top of that, the xenosaga cherub face character design has always put off a lot of people.... And well, the rest obsessively buy really creepy merchandise...

So, when these people saw the new trailer of X, and it was all cutscenes and up close character models. They immediately began to cry downgrade, despite:

A: Never actually seeing the character models up close, from the front, and actually seeing the faces in orevious trailers.
And
B: Practically no footage of the world from the previous trailers was shown during the story trailer for them to compare to see if it was actually downgraded. When in fact, it was actually considerably improved.

These people immediately leapt into a devils effect.

And its not the first one people have leapt head on into either.

When the game was first shown, certain surprisingly thoughtless individuals, (How these people can be fans of a game like Xenoblade I will never know), immediately began to shout about how the colors had been removed from the game, and now it was just dark and gritty, and how the water didnt glow blue like eryth sea.

Devil effect. Had their knee jerking not planted their head firmly up their anus into their colon of cognitave bias, they would have realized that the opening stages of Xenoblade were ALSO color muted compared to areas like eryth sea or satorl marsh at night. The reason Eryth Sea glowed blue was because it was not water, it was an ether solution, which is why it floated in the air above makna forest. The reason the developers designed the game this way, so that the 'normal' areas came first and the more fantastical colorful, ether lit areas came later was to establsih a sence of normalcy, and then in contrast, rip it away, giving the change more meaning. That would not have been possible if the first areas the player started exploring was eryth sea, or satorl marsh at night.

But they couldnt think that far because they were stuck in a negative halo effect. They were reduced to monkeys, incapable of doing anything more than climbing trees, screeching, and flinging their feces.

The reason it would be a bad idea to do both, as two seperate commercial trailers is because one would form a devils effect for a large group of people, who would then not be able to think about the subject without crapping in their hands and throwing it everywhere.

Xenoblade X is a very distinctively designed game. It very clearly sacrificed most up close visual detail, for a scale that is very uncommon.

Many, many games have good up close details in small contained environments, particularly ones with lots of buildings and other simple objects comprised of right angles that you can use to occlude (Not render objects behind the building, effectively allowing you to use more polygons) the draw distance without the player catching on.

Many games also have very cool cutscenes. In fact, thats pretrty much what most games today are mostly comprised of. As a result, a depressingly large amount of our fellow hobbyist have been pavlovically conditioned to think thats all their is, and all thats worth while.

Very, few games have worlds like X. Even less allow you to go anywhere without loading, and I mean anywhere, too includ flying up into the sky to floatin islands. Nothing allows that right now. and of that nothing, most certainluy their is nothing with X's fantastical world and creature design, that looks as stunning as X because of the second to none art direction and scene composition.

Using the story trailer would be presenting X's weakest face (Lets face it, there is no way in hell you could possibly begin to explain a Takahashi story in a commercial, so all you see is cool cutscenes.) first.

While the world focused trailer would be putting its greatest strengths first.

So what you would effectively be doing, is giving half the people, the ones who say, saw the story trailer commercial on TV first, a look at a game that for all intents and purposes, is a 'bad' looking game that does nothing they havent seene before. Crazy cutscenes. They are done. Confirmation bias confirmed, wii u sucks, Halo effect enganged, trying to talk or reason with them would be like trying to convince a screeching monkey to stop throwing its crap all over the place.

No matter what you showed them. No matter how much sense it makes, they will not be able to see through the Halo effect.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 the gamz girnalizt

the gamz girnalizt

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    criticising nintendo

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

frGr2TC.png

I was bored, so I tried to perfect the boxart. Also, I didn't put the Nintendo Network logo since boxarts that need ratings don't usually have the Nintendo Network logo. I just wish there was a higher res version of the image.

gamz girnalizm all da way

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

frGr2TC.png

I was bored, so I tried to perfect the boxart. Also, I didn't put the Nintendo Network logo since boxarts that need ratings don't usually have the Nintendo Network logo. I just wish there was a higher res version of the image.

Hmm.... Doesnt really work as well from this zoomed out.

All the positive space on the bottom just makes the image really bottom heavy, and the logo up top just doesnt really balance it out.

The positive space right angle of the other box just makes a much stronger scene composition, which is nicely balanced by the negative space on the right. It really is a very strong and stable scene composition.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

frGr2TC.png

It looks good... but you're missing the Nintendo Network symbol.

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!