Didescharlie

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Fandom:
    Secret of Mana, Gunstar Heroes, EDF

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hi all

Not sure where to post this, but I guess the hardware section is most applicable as I'm referring to several games. Basically, I'm looking at buying multiple controllers but don't want to buy both Wii remotes and classic gamepads, so which do people think is best / more versatile and also supported byu games? I'm looking at the following local multiplayer games, and would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Mario Kart 8  - Wii remotes with the wheel add-on look good, and I've read lots of pros and cons over which work best with the games, but am I best sticking to the classic gamepads so I can play these other games I mention.

Smash Bros - Will the Classic pad be good enough or do I need to buy the Gamecube controllers I've been reading about?

Splatoon - I'm guessing a classic pad will be best for this.

Also, more general games like Nintendoland - what controllers are best and/or supported for this?

Thank you for helping /commenting on this for me.

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

I would imagine, unless you have put a ridiculous amount of time into competetive smashing with cube controllers, that you would find the wii u controller more than adequate.

The wii wheel is fun, I guess, but I see no purpose to it for single player/online. For multiple local players, it makes wiimote play more managable (b button placement). Though they may prefer the classic pro controller for analog sticks.

Nintendo land uses:
Gamepad
Wii mote+
and nunchuck controllers

Dont know enough about splatoon yet.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

Mk8 plays fine with the gamepad that comes with the console. It's used in almost every game, it plays just like a normal controller sometimes with touchscreen functions. I'd say just pick up the Pro controller for multiplayer games, the gamecube controller amd adapter are more for those who played Melee and are used to that control scheme. If you're new to SSB you're off fine with the pro, eventhough it isn't wired

Splatoon uses the gamepad. You control the cam and run with the control sticks and aim (fine tune) with the motion controls of the gamepad, which can be turned off.

Edited by Akazury, 22 June 2014 - 08:21 AM.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#4 Didescharlie

Didescharlie

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm buying for local multiplayer. I've heard the Wii U Gamepad is pretty brilliant for anything single player/online, so am looking for multiple local controllers, but don't want to be buying twice.

I'm guessing Splatoon will be pretty good with a classic controller as per a traditional FPS type game.

#5 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm buying for local multiplayer. I've heard the Wii U Gamepad is pretty brilliant for anything single player/online, so am looking for multiple local controllers, but don't want to be buying twice.

I'm guessing Splatoon will be pretty good with a classic controller as per a traditional FPS type game.

Just get the wiiU pro controllers, they are the best for local multiplayer as long as you don't have movement involving multiplayer. The pro has 80 hours off batterylife, I haven't charged it since buying it more than a year ago. Controller layout is just like the gamepad so it's perfect for anything from shooters to rts

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#6 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

I would at least suggest buying a few Wiimotes/Nunchuks at some point. They should be fairly cheap nowadays.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#7 DanI

DanI

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

We are playing local MK8 multiplayer with the gamepad and two wiimotes and it works quite good. I also tried wiimote+nunchuck, which is ok, too. I'm thinking about getting two wheels for wiimotes :)

Please excuse my poor English...

#8 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

Classic ontrollers are not pro controllers. Pro controllers are wireless and don't work on Wii games while classic controllers connect to a wii remote.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#9 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:56 AM

The Splatoon devs actually said that you can play with a classic controller, but will get destroyed since the GamePad is much faster and more accurate. Luckily the Wii U comes with a GamePad so that shouldn't be a problem right?

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#10 Didescharlie

Didescharlie

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

We are playing local MK8 multiplayer with the gamepad and two wiimotes and it works quite good. I also tried wiimote+nunchuck, which is ok, too. I'm thinking about getting two wheels for wiimotes :)

Sounds like a plan.

I've just picked up a brand new official WiiU wheel on eBay for £1.04. :) Just looking out if any more turn up!

#11 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

I would at least suggest buying a few Wiimotes/Nunchuks at some point. They should be fairly cheap nowadays.

I second this. Wii Motes are good for NES VC games, and the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo for Pikmin 3 is the best control scheme imo.

#12 easyheimer

easyheimer

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

Was thinking of picking up 2 of these:

https://www.groupon....aa3fc1c24d8de27

Anyone have any experience with these for a pro substitution?

#13 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Was thinking of picking up 2 of these:

https://www.groupon....aa3fc1c24d8de27

Anyone have any experience with these for a pro substitution?

Check out 183 reviews of these on Amazon. Nyko does make some fair quality 3rd party stuff.

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#14 easyheimer

easyheimer

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Pulled the trigger and went with it. Not much of a risk @ this price. Plus a buddy is going half.

#15 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

One recommendation though. If you do get Wii remotes make sure you get the newer motion plus ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!