Photo

Study: Kids are taught to emphasize Personal Achievement over caring for others.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

I read the whole thing just now, and it wasn't much different. The only important piece of information I seemed to miss was this: 
"Child psychologist and author [/size]Michele Borba told me the study was “incredibly important,” a “wake up call to parents, a clear indication that we need to reprioritize our parenting agendas ASAP. The science reveals the irony of the situation: happier and more successful kids care about others, they are able to relate, be concerned, and respect differences, and a lack of empathy makes kids[/size]less successful, and [/size]less happy.” Her email went on to explain,"[/size]
which backs my point more.[/size]
i don't know what >< means, so I can't really respond to anything after that.

Ah, yes. Classic Michelle Borba. I can smell the stenchof unicorn tongue from here.

First off, that is a strawman.

Its also comprised of the following logical fallacies:
Begging the question
Argument from silence
False dilemma

She never proves that prioritizing her specific brand of BS is what made those kids successful. She just ASSUMED the outcome of the argument was in favor of her.

The REALITY is, kids who are capable of applying themselves and earning personal acheivement, who know how to face and overcome adversity, are the ones who are happy, successful, and capable of empathising with others, who are facing adversity. That DOESNT mean giving them candies and rainbows if what they really need is a swift kick in the arse.

The OTHER end of the spectrum is spoiled and priviledged, and doesnt recognize others who are facing adversity, nor empathises with them. They just whine about things that dont go their way, and seek out others so they can whine together, and Daisy and whine about people who actually ARE doing a thing that will help them, by telling them to stop feeling sorry for themselves and put some effort into something they want to avheive.

Worthless slackers just whine about crap they dont like, or understand, or boogymen they make up, then take it online with something like #yesallwomen, where they engage in a whining orgy and circle jerk each other, and accomplsih absolutely nothing, do nothing, for anyone, help no one, do nothing at all except stroke their own priviledged egos.

Oh, and >< is just a sign for 'does not equal'. also /=.

As for Borba...

Michele Borba how to deal with an out of control screaming child:

"Refuse to engage with a screamer. You know this one: “If your kid screams and you scream, you all scream. So make a rule that you will NOT engage with an out-of-control kid. Wear a bracelet to remind you. Or tape a red card to your wall so when you see it, it tells you: “Stay calm!

If he continues using a loud, yelling tone, absolutely refuse to listen. Firmly (and calmly) explain: “That’s yelling. I only listen when you use a calm voice.” The moment you yell back the yeller knows they won and the yelling cycle continues. If you have to lock yourself in the bathroom do so. The screamer needs to know yelling doesn’t work. Walk away and go about your business until he talks right. As long as he yells, keep walking."

http://www.dailystre...screaming-child

Yes. Allow the screaming out of control child to lock you in a bathroom.

Michelle Borba is full of rainbow, and uses lousy fallacious arguments, strawmen, word twisting, and misdirection as a creed.

And when shes not doing that, Shes full of not good crap like letting your kids lock you in the bathroom to show them that screaming doesnt work. Yeah, teach them that they know how to get you to cower in the bathroom so they can do what they want with impunity.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#22 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

Ah, yes. Classic Michelle Borba. I can smell the stenchof unicorn tongue from here.

First off, that is a strawman.

Its also comprised of the following logical fallacies:
Begging the question
Argument from silence

She never proves that prioritizing her specific brand of BS is what made those kids successful. She just ASSUMED the outcome of the argument was in favor of her.

The REALITY is, kids who are capable of applying themselves and earning personal acheivement, who know how to face and overcome adversity, are the ones who are happy, successful, and capable of empathising with others, who are facing adversity. That DOESNT mean giving them candies and rainbows if what they really need is a swift kick in the arse.

Worthless slackers just whine about crap they dont like, or understand, or boogymen they make up, then take it online with something like #yesallwomen, where they engage in a whining orgy and circle jerk each other, and accomplsih absolutely nothing, do nothing, for anyone, do nothing at all except stroke their priviledged egos.

Oh, and >< is just a sign for 'does not equal'. also /=.

As for Borba...

Michele Borba how to deal with an out of control screaming child:

"Refuse to engage with a screamer. You know this one: “If your kid screams and you scream, you all scream. So make a rule that you will NOT engage with an out-of-control kid. Wear a bracelet to remind you. Or tape a red card to your wall so when you see it, it tells you: “Stay calm!

If he continues using a loud, yelling tone, absolutely refuse to listen. Firmly (and calmly) explain: “That’s yelling. I only listen when you use a calm voice.” The moment you yell back the yeller knows they won and the yelling cycle continues. If you have to lock yourself in the bathroom do so. The screamer needs to know yelling doesn’t work. Walk away and go about your business until he talks right. As long as he yells, keep walking."

http://www.dailystre...screaming-child

Yes. Allow the screaming out of control child to lock you in a bathroom.

Michelle Borba is full of rainbow, and uses lousy fallacious arguments, strawmen, word twisting, and misdirection as a creed.

And when shes not doing that, Shes full of not good crap like letting your kids lock you in the bathroom to show them that screaming doesnt work. Yeah, teach them that they know how to get you to cower in the bathroom so they can do what they want with impunity.

I think we misunderstood each other. I assumed you were agreeing that selfishness is necessary to be successful, and that people who weren't were just useless whiners. I pretty much agree with what you're saying.

As for dealing with screaming kids, I think she's on the right track. Screaming at a screaming kid rarely helps anything, but every kid and situation is different and requires different solutions. Locking yourself in your bathroom also probably won't help 99/100 times.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#23 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

I think we misunderstood each other. I assumed you were agreeing that selfishness is necessary to be successful, and that people who weren't were just useless whiners. I pretty much agree with what you're saying.

As for dealing with screaming kids, I think she's on the right track. Screaming at a screaming kid rarely helps anything, but every kid and situation is different and requires different solutions. Locking yourself in your bathroom also probably won't help 99/100 times.

Thats because the only other option she allows to exist is the option of screaming back.

Similar to how the only option she allowed was either interested in being capable of personal acheivements=selfish, and emphasizing letting everyone else walk all over you=Jesus Christ, and they were mutually exclusive.

Thats a logical fallacy known as a false dilemma.

She goes further in the acheivement/community one by not just using a false dilemma to frame the argument into a non existant us Vs them, but also uses begging the question to fix discussion in favor of her argument. If you use the same terminology she used, and have any opinion other than the one she framed, it makes you look like Hitler.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#24 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:47 AM

humanity is beyond the "need" to selfishly take what it wants to "grow". I am not an animal and neither are you or any other human being.

yes we are animals.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#25 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

There are many people who sacrifice their lives daily to others because they love them. Animals are mindless, uncaring creatures who only exist on instinct. We are beyond that limitation and are very much better than it. You are an important human being, you have worth like everyone else does. People need to start understanding that humans don't exist to serve themselves but to serve others.

There's been tons of evidence to support that they aren't mindless uncaring creatures, animals have saved lives. Dogs have cared over their master since they were born, elephants understand human emotions and will try to cheer them up if possible. There was even a story on how a wild tiger adopted a baby animal after killing it's mother for food. Animals are FAR from mindless. They're just easier to understand because they have less basic needs than humans.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#26 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

Animals are mindless, uncaring creatures who only exist on instinct.

This is horsing unicorn tongue and show how ignorant you are. It's mind boggling someone can be this stupid.

#27 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

There's been tons of evidence to support that they aren't mindless uncaring creatures, animals have saved lives. Dogs have cared over their master since they were born, elephants understand human emotions and will try to cheer them up if possible. There was even a story on how a wild tiger adopted a baby animal after killing it's mother for food. Animals are FAR from mindless. They're just easier to understand because they have less basic needs than humans.

tigerpigsDM3011a_468x714.jpg

'Yes, good kill my children, you learn well.'

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#28 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

LESS Basic needs? Says who they have the same amount we do. Food, drink, sleep, social interaction (for some), isolation (for others), and oxygen.

They just don't have the intelligence to convince themselves they need to take everything for themselves until everyone from every species' lives are ruined

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#29 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

LESS Basic needs? Says who they have the same amount we do. Food, drink, sleep, social interaction (for some), isolation (for others), and oxygen.

They just don't have the intelligence to convince themselves they need to take everything for themselves until everyone from every species' lives are ruined

It's a known fact that because humans are more intelligent, they have more basic needs, firstly starting with Physiological stuff (food, water), then Safety (Security, Stability), Love (Friends, family, lover), Self-Esteem (Achivement, Mastery, Respect) then finally Self-Actualization (Pursue inner talent, Fulfillment). As far as I'm aware, other animals don't have a sense of fulfillment or to pursue inner talent. Thus have less basic needs than us. 

#30 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

#31 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

It's a known fact that because humans are more intelligent, they have more basic needs, firstly starting with Physiological stuff (food, water), then Safety (Security, Stability), Love (Friends, family, lover), Self-Esteem (Achivement, Mastery, Respect) then finally Self-Actualization (Pursue inner talent, Fulfillment). As far as I'm aware, other animals don't have a sense of fulfillment or to pursue inner talent. Thus have less basic needs than us. 

It seems like you're referring to that pyramid of needs thing that people talk about.

Which interesting because as i know it the bottom level (physiologival stuff) are the only needs cosidered basic, and in that section, we're just like animals.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#32 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

The point of contention you will likely be facing here is that the things beyond Physiological needs and a sense of safety/security (Which animals also need, a result of which is many animals that claim 'territory', disrupt this, and they can get very very sick from stress) are the only ones considered basic.

*Edit* I am quite late.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#33 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

The point of contention you will likely be facing here is that the things beyond Physiological needs and a sense of safety/security (Which animals also need, a result of which is many animals that claim 'territory', disrupt this, and they can get very very sick from stress) are the only ones considered basic.

It seems like you're referring to that pyramid of needs thing that people talk about.

Which interesting because as i know it the bottom level (physiologival stuff) are the only needs cosidered basic, and in that section, we're just like animals.

Ooh Ok, I thought all them needs were the basic ones, Nevermind then, they have the same basic needs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!