#1 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

I was wondering, does anyone one here use Onlive? For those of you who haven't heard of it, OnLive delivers games from the cloud to your PC, with no necessary downloads or discs. I'm interested in trying it, although I have doubts over how well it would work.

There's also an Onlive console, which is only $100. For that price, I could almost see it competing with the big three consoles in the future. Would any of you consider buying the console?

#2 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

I signed up for OnLive some time ago, but stopped short of actually buying any games for it. Still, even without buying anything, I was able to watch other players in real time. I was quite impressed that it actually managed to stream the gameplay at a full 60 fps, but I found the video quality a little lacking - it looks comparable to a Youtube video, which just doesn't do when I'm used to playing games full blast on my 1920x1200 screen. For that reason alone, I'm afraid they're not gonna get my business.

However, I do think it may be an economical option for people who don't have super-powerful computers and are willing to tolerate the low picture quality in exchange for a smooth experience that integrated GPU's (the most common kind) are simply unable to deliver, anyway.

OnLive does have a lot of potential, but they'll first need to fix their video quality before I give them another look.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

You can get an onlive mini-console thing free with most onlive pre-orders I believe.

I've used it for a bit, and it works fine here in Ireland, where I didn't expect it to work at all.
The picture quality is horribly washed-out looking is probably the best way to describe it.
Also, not owning my game ever is another down-side.
I was on 20mbit at the time I tried it, or maybe 25. I'm now on 100mbit, but I doubt the quality would improve much more on what I got at 20/5.

Edited by Nollog, 02 September 2011 - 03:22 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Kardibask

Kardibask

Ninj

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • NNID:Kardibask
  • Fandom:
    Marvel, DC Comics

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

I use Onlive. I don't really recommend it though, while they have some goods games they're lacking a lot of core titles. More will come soon but the selection is mostly comprised of indie titles. Which is OK if you are into indie games.

e674231265.jpg

#5 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

I've never heard of OnLive before. I thought you were talking about Xbox Live at first.

#6 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:45 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 14 July 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#7 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:08 AM

Hey, I thought I'd get in early and make a topic for OnLive. I don't have much time now but I'll add more information about what OnLive actually is later, in the mean time please Google OnLive instead of asking me what it is here. For now I'll leave you with this video.

To get the conversation flowing I'll ask you guys some questions, feel free to answer any of them you feel like or just tell us your general opinion on OnLive:

Do you think OnLive is the future of gaming?

Do you use OnLive?

Will OnLive be a good thing for the gaming landscape in general?

EDIT: Looks like I somehow managed to post 3 of the same topic. I'm sure Feld0 or AMAC will be able to deleate the others, you can count this as the official topic.

AMAC already started an OnLive topic some time ago. I've merged your new topic into it. Also, I removed the two other copies of your topic.

I was tempted to make a joke there about banishing the other two topics to the moon or feeding them to the parasprites... no, don't you guys dare take it off-topic.

#8 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:11 AM

Ok thanks mate :)

#9 Mesan3

Mesan3

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • NNID:mesan3
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Dragon ball, trombone

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:25 AM

i use onlive quite abit

#10 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

I thought I'd revive this thread after something interesting I found out about OnLive recently. The service is available (or soon will be) on tablet devices such as the iPad and even smartphones. As someone who's planning to buy an iPad in the near future, I'm quite excited at the prospect of being able to play proper console games on a tablet, even though OnLive doesn't have a huge library at the moment. It will also support the OnLive controller, so those using the service won't have to put up with touch screen buttons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!