37 replies to this topic

#21 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

Why is there little to be gained? A big pokemon game on console would be fantastic and like others said amiibos could be used greatly.

No, I disagree with this completely. Keep the combat turn-based but incorporate movement into a little, like FF tactics or if they do go real time kind make it real time with pause like Baldur's Gate where you could use the gamepad to move pokemon around the battlefield.

There's little to be gained because there is little to gained. You're repeating the exact same stuff that comes up everytime someone suggests this. Graphics, big world, console. You're giving no thought in to the mechanics of these games nor their design. All this would do is make development costs skyrocket.

pNgecl.gif

#22 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

I'll be honest, I would buy pretty much any remake that Gamefreak makes of the mainline Pokemon games, even if they redid Red/Blue (Green) again.

I like the way that Gamefreak remakes their games. They actually remake them. They are fully redone (unlike the remastered ports that wrongly clog up the 'remake' name nowadays), they add the improvements made in today's games to the older ones, plus add new features.

I can't complain with any Pokemon remake!

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#23 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

@

There's little to be gained because there is little to gained. You're repeating the exact same stuff that comes up everytime someone suggests this. Graphics, big world, console. You're giving no thought in to the mechanics of these games nor their design. All this would do is make development costs skyrocket.

the post below is why there's much to gain, because millions of others feel the same way, + there are millions of new comers that would buy, plus many people who stopped playing have spoken and said they would buy such a game, not to mention the percentage of traditional "turn-based world exploration" rpg fans out there.

I'll be honest, I would buy pretty much any remake that Gamefreak makes of the mainline Pokemon games, even if they redid Red/Blue (Green) again.

I like the way that Gamefreak remakes their games. They actually remake them. They are fully redone (unlike the remastered ports that wrongly clog up the 'remake' name nowadays), they add the improvements made in today's games to the older ones, plus add new features.

I can't complain with any Pokemon remake!

#24 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

Why is there little to be gained? A big pokemon game on console would be fantastic and like others said amiibos could be used greatly.

No, I disagree with this completely. Keep the combat turn-based but incorporate movement into a little, like FF tactics or if they do go real time kind make it real time with pause like Baldur's Gate where you could use the gamepad to move pokemon around the battlefield.

I understand your concern. Have you played xenoblade chronicles? It looks like an action combat system til you really get to know it, then you start to see hat everything is on a timer, thus dictating "turns" so to speak that would give pokemon the same level of strategy while keeping players more engaged in the console experience. By taking this combat and designing it and the open world around Pokemon I bet monolith could come up with something that is both of high quality and still different enough from handhelds that wouldn't steal their market.

Plus, this opens up the possibility for a good story and deep story mechanics. Something pokemon should really explore on the consoles to set itself apart again, from the handheld.

Plus plus, if you REALLY HAVE TO HAVE your turn based, you could throw in the turn based combat as some kind of side thing/ let you battle on the big screen with 3DSs etc.

What is so important about keeping the combat so turn based anyway? Honestly curious.

#25 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

It's not going to happen, Gamefreak has said this om multiple occassions so why do people keep going on about it. The only way this might have a change is when something like the fusion comes along and you can play Pokémon on the big screen. But then it's still your run of the mill 3Ds Pokémon game.

They are not going to make some huge ass, 7 region Pokémon game on a console cause that isn't what Pokémon is at it's core. It's you traveling the world and discovering things, that's why it's on a handheld to be played while on the road. To easily pick it up and play, to simply trade with strangers you meet and just enjoy.

And Gamefreak will never give the OK for something like this as they don't want it and it's still up to them. You want to know why there is nothing to be gained, this is why there is nothing to be gained. It would differ too much from the core mechanics of a Pokémon game, the ideals behind it. So please, just let it go

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#26 SamuraiDeity

SamuraiDeity

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

I understand your concern. Have you played xenoblade chronicles? It looks like an action combat system til you really get to know it, then you start to see hat everything is on a timer, thus dictating "turns" so to speak that would give pokemon the same level of strategy while keeping players more engaged in the console experience. By taking this combat and designing it and the open world around Pokemon I bet monolith could come up with something that is both of high quality and still different enough from handhelds that wouldn't steal their market.

Plus, this opens up the possibility for a good story and deep story mechanics. Something pokemon should really explore on the consoles to set itself apart again, from the handheld.

Plus plus, if you REALLY HAVE TO HAVE your turn based, you could throw in the turn based combat as some kind of side thing/ let you battle on the big screen with 3DSs etc.

What is so important about keeping the combat so turn based anyway? Honestly curious.

Because they could do a lot with a turn based system a la Final Fantasy Tactics. Yes I've played Xenoblade Chronicles and games with similar combat systems and they are awful especially on a console, although a real time with pause system like Baldur's Gate could work on Wii U with the touchscreen.

#27 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

Because they could do a lot with a turn based system a la Final Fantasy Tactics. Yes I've played Xenoblade Chronicles and games with similar combat systems and they are awful especially on a console, although a real time with pause system like Baldur's Gate could work on Wii U with the touchscreen.

Ok, that's clearly a matter of opinion and not an objective view of the situation. While Xenoblade's is not the ONLY combat system that could work, saying it's awful without explaining why doesn't convince me. A turn based system would work for a game. I just think something like Xenoblade could really be made intuitive and make the game unique compared to the handhelds.

#28 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Pokemon might be the one Nintendo series I never played. Just does not look appealing but looking appealing or not can change by playing them. My issue is besides not liking the designs of the pokemon is it looks so basic for a RPG like very novice to RPG's basic. I am not sure I can take something that simple in a genre I am so involved in. Like Dragon Quest is simple but still a great charm to the series so that's why I have not ruled out trying Pokemon. Any place that would be good to start?

#29 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

Pokemon might be the one Nintendo series I never played. Just does not look appealing but looking appealing or not can change by playing them. My issue is besides not liking the designs of the pokemon is it looks so basic for a RPG like very novice to RPG's basic. I am not sure I can take something that simple in a genre I am so involved in. Like Dragon Quest is simple but still a great charm to the series so that's why I have not ruled out trying Pokemon. Any place that would be good to start?

X/Y is more about the graphical update and new mechanics like mega evolution and fairy types. Another good place to start is Black/White and Black 2/White 2, these had a great story and lots of post game content, something the X/Y really misses. So it kinda depends on what you want to focus on.

#30 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

Probably more about the mechanics what I am leaning towards.

#31 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

Considering the fact that I am buying "The Last of Us" for the PS4 even though I already have it on the PS3. I'm gonna go ahead and say "yes" I am a total fan of remastered versions of older games especially Pokemon. 

Don't forget that maybe a lot of younger people haven't experienced the greatness of games that we have and I think it's a great chance for newcomers to experience it and for veterans to revisit classics and embrace the nostalgia. 

#32 alex15810

alex15810

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

If they made a console pokemon game I'd throw my money at it immediately. I beat Pokemon Red several times back in the day on my old Gameboy Color but even if it was a remake of that I'd buy it.

But Nintendo never will, they want Pokemon to be exclusive to their handhelds to drive sales in that area. If they offered all their titles on both consoles and handhelds nobody would buy both.

Edited by alex15810, 30 July 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#33 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

Main series Pokemon should always be on portables and Gamefreak sees it like that as well as they have stated many times. You can't take a console with you anywhere and trade people you meet or battle with them that's something a portable can only do and those are the things the series was based around since the beginning. Being able to take it and interact with people while in different places. It's just never gonna happen and it's time people just accept that fact.

zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#34 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Main series Pokemon should always be on portables and Gamefreak sees it like that as well as they have stated many times. You can't take a console with you anywhere and trade people you meet or battle with them that's something a portable can only do and those are the things the series was based around since the beginning. Being able to take it and interact with people while in different places. It's just never gonna happen and it's time people just accept that fact.

I keep hearing that reason, but I'm one of the few that have never taken pokemon games with me just to interact with others except once at a gamestop tournament back before online battling was even an option. the fact that all aspects of pokemon has gone online, imo debunks the belief in local interaction.

now i would like to know from everyone here, how many of you have taken your game out and met up with random people to interact? and no spot pass doesn't count

Edited by umegames, 02 August 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#35 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

I keep hearing that reason, but I'm one of the few that have never taken pokemon games with me just to interact with others except once at a gamestop tournament back before online battling was even an option. the fact that all aspects of pokemon has gone online, imo debunks the belief in local interaction.

now i would like to know from everyone here, how many of you have taken your game out and met up with random people to interact? and no spot pass doesn't count

During elementary school I would always sneak my Gameboy to school to battle and trade. And throughout my first year of High School I used to take two buses and a train to get to school at the time of Gen 4. Almost everyday me and another kid I met on the train who didn't even go to the same school as me would battle and trade whenever we were in the same train car. I used to go to Nintendo World a lot too a little over a year ago and I would also interact with Pokemon players too. For me the series has always fulfilled the aspect of going out and interacting in real life.

I do have to point out that this was all in New York so there are more people and it's easier to do such a thing.

zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#36 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

First up I think you ment streetpass. And nobody meets up with random people, there aren't any small tournaments left or anything the only moment you meet other pokémon players is when I go to Gamemania or MediaMarkt to download legendaries or something. I'm sure that when I look on FB there will be groups that meet for these things but I never actually did.

I must add that I'm not the most social person and like to enjoy my games alone. Nowadays I only use my 3Ds when I'm going somewhere and hell even that has pretty much been replaced with my iPad. Still Main Series games should never been on a home console. The games are to platonic and repetitive for that, I enjoy pokémon so much because I can play it fifteen minutes, out it away and play again after three hours. On a home console you play for hours afters hours and Pokémon doesn't fit with that. Would they want to go console like they would have change a lot to accomodate, I think that's why the spin offs went for an interesting story and hardly any pokémon to catch.

Edited by Akazury, 02 August 2014 - 11:35 PM.

#37 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

First up I think you ment streetpass. And nobody meets up with random people, there aren't any small tournaments left or anything the only moment you meet other pokémon players is when I go to Gamemania or MediaMarkt to download legendaries or something. I'm sure that when I look on FB there will be groups that meet for these things but I never actually did.

I must add that I'm not the most social person and like to enjoy my games alone. Nowadays I only use my 3Ds when I'm going somewhere and hell even that has pretty much been replaced with my iPad. Still Main Series games should never been on a home console. The games are to platonic and repetitive for that, I enjoy pokémon so much because I can play it fifteen minutes, out it away and play again after three hours. On a home console you play for hours afters hours and Pokémon doesn't fit with that. Would they want to go console like they would have change a lot to accomodate, I think that's why the spin offs went for an interesting story and hardly any pokémon to catch.

correct i did mean street pass. Well i guess that's where everyone is different. When i fire up pokemon i play for at least 15 to 30 minutes at home. And i think back to experiences like colosseum and XD, and those were awesome, spent loads of hours playing those games.

#38 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

correct i did mean street pass. Well i guess that's where everyone is different. When i fire up pokemon i play for at least 15 to 30 minutes at home. And i think back to experiences like colosseum and XD, and those were awesome, spent loads of hours playing those games.

I'm just not a big fan off online, I play Pokémon just at much at home as anywhere else the first time around. After the main story I just can't be botherd so it just lies there. From my perspective, Pokémon just doesn't belong on a home console, well kinda with WiiU with your attack menu on the second screen but still. When I play on a console I want games like Xenblade, Zelda and other massives and pokémon as it is now doesn't fit.

And don't say the pokémon MMO project, cause the only mmo I like is WoW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!