• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 elrith

elrith

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Nintendo says they're getting rid of super smash brawl for the wii online. Does that mean if you buy super smash brothers brawl for the WII U you'll be able to play online? Or is brawl online play completely gone?

#2 genev

genev

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of zelda,final fantasy,pokemon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

In order to play smash brawl you launch wii mode, so basically it is like playing the game in a wii, so no online unfortunately :/

Edited by basketballfan, 31 July 2014 - 10:24 AM.

'' It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong.''

Voltaire

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Super smash bros brawl online is gone. Although the new game is coming soon which will have online

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

Thought I should also mention Brawl's online being cut off wasn't directly Nintendo's fault.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#5 genev

genev

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

Thought I should also mention Brawl's online being cut off wasn't directly Nintendo's fault.

Really? Whose fault was then? I'm asking because I don't know.

Edited by basketballfan, 31 July 2014 - 01:16 PM.

Voltaire

#6 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Really? Whose fault was then? I'm asking because I don't know.

The termination of DS and Wii Online is because the servers that Nintendo used were external. Gamespy, the company that provided the servers/service got closed down, resulting in Nintendo having to terminate DS and Wii online capability's.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#7 genev

genev

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Aww. Thanks for the answer :)

Voltaire

#8 CanadianTurtle

CanadianTurtle

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

I don't see it as a big loss to be honest. The wifi lag was so unbearable to the point where my characters would react 2 seconds after pressing the attack button. I find Brawl to be really fun offline though. Plus, it's very hard to find people online in the first place. I remember when the game first came out, people were waiting like 20 minutes to find a game simply because the servers were over-flowing with players, and the Wii's online technology couldn't handle it. 

#9 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

I don't see it as a big loss to be honest. The wifi lag was so unbearable to the point where my characters would react 2 seconds after pressing the attack button. I find Brawl to be really fun offline though. Plus, it's very hard to find people online in the first place. I remember when the game first came out, people were waiting like 20 minutes to find a game simply because the servers were over-flowing with players, and the Wii's online technology couldn't handle it. 

I totally agree. Really have hopes for online this time around though. At the very least the online should be good enough that competitive players can actually play 1v1 *crosses fingers*.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#10 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

Well there is a thing set up by a third party.

When I read the title I thought you were asking of a online only pc type game, then I released that would be the same as multiplayer is now.

Stupid Snowmads!

#11 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

no omg pls understnd

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#12 alex15810

alex15810

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

The termination of DS and Wii Online is because the servers that Nintendo used were external. Gamespy, the company that provided the servers/service got closed down, resulting in Nintendo having to terminate DS and Wii online capability's.

Even if that's true, Nintendo could have just moved the game to a different server if they wanted. If the players themselves can create their own servers for it there's no reason Nintendo couldn't have supported it. I think bottom line the decision was made to force players to move to the new console. The servers did get shut down about a week before mario kart 8 was released.

Really didn't like that move by Nintendo. Seemed premature to me. It can't be that expensive to run servers for a few popular Wii games. I believe even the last few PS2 online games just recently got shut down and sony and microsoft will for sure be supporting online for PS3 and Xbox 360 for years to come.

Edited by alex15810, 01 August 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#13 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Even if that's true, Nintendo could have just moved the game to a different server if they wanted. If the players themselves can create their own servers for it there's no reason Nintendo couldn't have supported it. I think bottom line the decision was made to force players to move to the new console. The servers did get shut down about a week before mario kart 8 was released.

Really didn't like that move by Nintendo. Seemed premature to me. It can't be that expensive to run servers for a few popular Wii games. I believe even the last few PS2 online games just recently got shut down and sony and microsoft will for sure be supporting online for PS3 and Xbox 360 for years to come.

But then they would have to invest in a new online/server setup for the few Wii games that really benefit from online, I don't see it being worth in the long run.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#14 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Well that's why I said wasn't"directly" their fault. They didn't actually cut the servers off, though it was their decision to let things end with that.

However you still can't be mad at them. The Wii is 7 years old and the DS even older. They can't keep spending money on the previous generation, because it's just money wasted.

Once again though, Nintendo didn't decide when the servers were shut down, or if they were shut down at all, the only thing they can be held "responsible" for is not buying new servers, and t would have been worth the time money or energy.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!