#1 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

I'm wondering how long will the Gamepad last? Like the streaming tech behind it. How long does whatever it uses to stream the game to it last, 5 years, 10 years? This interests me because I don't think something like that would last very long and then eventually over time the Wii U would turn into a standard system like past ones where you can only use the Pro Controller and not the Gamepad.

zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#2 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

POPULAR

It's Nintendo, have they ever made a system that can't last 20+ years if handled correctly?

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#3 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

It's Nintendo, have they ever made a system that can't last 20+ years if handled correctly?

Very true, all my systems still work perfectly with excessive use, but I can't help but have the feeling it won't last even that long. The system yes, Gamepad maybe not.

zZJ9pHB.png

#4 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

I'm glad you added the literally, because otherwise I would have come here not having a clue about what you were talking about.

Literally.

I don't even...

#5 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

The only thing in the Gamepad to really worry about going out is the LCD screen. They burn out eventually still it's Nintendo and LCD can still last a good while. I would not worry unless you are really hard on it.

#6 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

The only thing in the Gamepad to really worry about going out is the LCD screen. They burn out eventually still it's Nintendo and LCD can still last a good while. I would not worry unless you are really hard on it.

Don't LCDs last for like hundreds of thousands of hours? I'm definitely not worried about that.

zZJ9pHB.png

#7 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Don't LCDs last for like hundreds of thousands of hours? I'm definitely not worried about that.

LCD's can last 100,000 and LED's much more but sometimes depending on the settings and use of the LCD can burn out quicker. Still a long long time and be the most likely thing to go out on the controller. All Wii U gamepad does is a custom wifi signal.

Edited by Ryudo, 02 August 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#8 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:13 PM

LCD's can last 100,000 and LED's much more but sometimes depending on the settings and use of the LCD can burn out quicker. Still a long long time and be the most likely thing to go out on the controller. All Wii U gamepad does is a custom wifi signal.

What is the thing inside the Gamepad that recieves the signal called? I know I'm dumb, Lol

zZJ9pHB.png

#9 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

What is the thing inside the Gamepad that recieves the signal called? I know I'm dumb, Lol

It's basically wifi, but slightly different..

They just changed it to make it harder to hack (I think). But it's pretty much wifi, and it's as likely to die as the wifi receiver on your phone.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#10 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

It's basically wifi, but slightly different..

They just changed it to make it harder to hack (I think). But it's pretty much wifi, and it's as likely to die as the wifi receiver on your phone.

I won't worry about it anymore, probably will last forever, or as long as I am alive.

zZJ9pHB.png

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Id bet the screen would burn out long before the gamepads receiver. And the chip that sends the signal in the wii u itself would be more likely to go first.

Although, no one really knows when that is. Wii u's streaming tech is an advanced and proprietary custom version of broadcoms miracast. Might want to try digging for info there.

Regaurdless, such low powered devices are unlikely to go out any time soon.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

About 10.2 inches.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#13 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

I'm wondering how long will the Gamepad last? Like the streaming tech behind it. How long does whatever it uses to stream the game to it last, 5 years, 10 years? This interests me because I don't think something like that would last very long and then eventually over time the Wii U would turn into a standard system like past ones where you can only use the Pro Controller and not the Gamepad.

I'm sorry but that's re tarded.
When a company makes tech it is to last the life of the system.
Nintendo will never need to change tech for the gsmepad.
It will stream the games just fine no matter what.

That's like saying a ps3 controller won't work on a ps3 after 10 yrs because it's old tech.
It makes no sense it doesn't work like that.

Now if they make a new system that runs at 4k resolution, then they would have to use better tech to stream it better to a new game pad.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#14 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

That's like saying a ps3 controller won't work on a ps3 after 10 yrs because it's old tech.

Now if they make a new system that runs at 4k resolution, then they would have to use better tech to stream it better to a new game pad.

Nintendo doesn't use Planned Obsolesence. Other companies do. To get you to buy more.

#15 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Nintendo doesn't use Planned Obsolesence. Other companies do. To get you to buy more.

I don't understand what your saying?

I didn't say anything would be obsolete.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#16 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Uhhh....That's actually not what I meant at all. What I was talking about was how long does the whatever receiver usually last before it burns out. I've seen computers and phones often stop connecting to wifi and such because of problems like that. I didn't mean that in 10 years the system won't be able to use a Gamepad because it's old and won't be compatible anymore.

zZJ9pHB.png

#17 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

I don't understand what your saying?

I didn't say anything would be obsolete.

Companies often make products on purpose to only last a certain little while before they either stop working or support stops and various other reasons. In otherwords they are not made to last. That way consumers buy more to keep them in business and economy flowing. TV makers for instance want you to replace your TV every 5 years. Phone Companies do it through service and want you to get a new phone every 2 years.

#18 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

I am more worried about moving parts like thumbsticks and buttons. Controllers tend to wear out after years of heavy use. On other system it's not a problem, because the controllers are cheap.

#19 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

I think if the gamepad is goung to have any problems, it would be the batterry slowly starting to deteriate after a decade.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#20 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

I am more worried about moving parts like thumbsticks and buttons. Controllers tend to wear out after years of heavy use. On other system it's not a problem, because the controllers are cheap.

That rarely happens to me. I still have most of the same portable I grew up with and controllers and they still work fine after thousands of hours playing them. It has happened to me before, but it was a PS2 controller. I probably just been lucky to have not many things stop working on me.

zZJ9pHB.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!