Photo

Miyamoto not making casual games anymore.

Miyamoto Wii U Nintendo Casual

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

"Their attitude is, 'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.' It's kind of a passive attitude they're taking, and to me it's kind of a pathetic thing. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself [with more advanced games]."
"Fortunately, because of the spread of smart devices, people take games for granted now. It's a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people's daily lives."

http://www.computera...n-for-the-core/

Guys... Guys.... Guys...

It's starting.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

The focus has been that since launch just now Shiggy is saying it but not a sudden shift announcement. They will have the occasional Mii game but so far it's been real games I mean they published Ninja Gaiden 3 at launch. They announced they are publishing Bayonetta 2 before launch. They let 3rd parties put out all those ports. The Wii U focus has been pretty much since day 1 is more on actual games.  This is not a sudden shift this is just a confrmation what they been doing all along with Wii U. Even late in Wii's life was where the shift started.

#3 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

Obviously Nintendo realised that games like Wii Fit U son't sell very well for Wii U.

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Just don't cancel Treasure Tracker

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

I just hope he creates interesting new ip. Also Galaxy 3 would be awesome :)

#6 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

Just don't cancel Treasure Tracker

This is miyamoto's team only that's not doing casual stuff. Nintendo itself will carry on. And right now miyamoto is making Star Fox. 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#7 Teddy

Teddy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • NNID:latios
  • Fandom:
    mlp

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

dat miyamoto

cant have signature cuz of internet explorer :/

#8 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

POPULAR

it was the plan all along

KBybp.png

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#9 MarvelofMan

MarvelofMan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • NNID:MarvelofMan

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Wii U is really starting to gain more momentum with these shockwaves. Exciting news!

#10 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

Well it's about damn time he stated this.  Given everything that has happened recently, I believe Nintendo may have broken.  In a good way.

#11 flowerlandfilms

flowerlandfilms

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

He isn't saying anything here. He is just musing about the shfiting sands of the game industry and everyone is mis-quoting it as 'CAZUAL GAMES SUXKZORZ LOLZ'.
Miyamoto does not consider Mario and Donkey Kong etc to be casual games.

#12 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

He isn't saying anything here. He is just musing about the shfiting sands of the game industry and everyone is mis-quoting it as 'CAZUAL GAMES SUXKZORZ LOLZ'.

That's kind of the impression I'm gettng as well. Since he mentioned mobile specifically, i get the idea by casual he means stuff where you don't have to think pretty much at all while you play. So things like flappy bird, etc.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

The word he used to describe them was pathetic, actually. And hes being pretty specific and damning.

Hes directly referring to all the time and money, and oppurtunity cost nintendo spent expanding the user base with these casuals, and how they spectacularly failed, en masse, to want to take the next step and try and challenge themselves with something more advanced. So, Nintendo is done with them.

Your second sentence is completely nonsensical and has nothing to do with anything anyone in reality has said.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

f-zero then f-zero

#15 flowerlandfilms

flowerlandfilms

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:27 AM

The word he used to describe them was pathetic, actually. And hes being pretty specific and damning.

Hes directly referring to all the time and money, and oppurtunity cost nintendo spent expanding the user base with these casuals, and how they spectacularly failed, en masse, to want to take the next step and try and challenge themselves with something more advanced. So, Nintendo is done with them.

Your second sentence is completely nonsensical and has nothing to do with anything anyone in reality has said.

I think that's what you want him to have meant. But I do not think that is what he meant.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:32 AM

I think that's what you want him to have meant. But I do not think that is what he meant.

No dude. Sorry. Hes pretty damn specific.

"Fortunately, because of the spread of smart devices, people take games for granted now. It's a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people's daily lives"

We no longer need to make games for the people who like mobile style game offerings is pretty complete and concise. No real way around this one.

Nintendo took a chance, making simplistic games for what they thought was a beginner audience who would then move on to be a more sophisticated audience, that just turned out to be a simplistic audience who never wanted anything more. Now Nintendo, and I quote, 'Doesnt have to worry about' making games for them anymore.

Anyone from that audience, who does want more, will move on, on there own. Nintendo no longer has to waste resources making games to bring them into gaming.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

"Fortunately, because of the spread of smart devices, people take games for granted now. It's a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people's daily lives"

We no longer need to make games for the people who like mobile style game offerings is pretty complete and concise. No real way around this one.

Nintendo took a chance, making simplistic games for what they thought was a beginner audience who would then move on to be a more sophisticated audience, that just turned out to be a simplistic audience who never wanted anything more. Now Nintendo, and I quote, 'Doesnt have to worry about' making games for them anymore.

Anyone from that audience, who does want more, will move on, on there own. Nintendo no longer has to waste resources making games to bring them into gaming.

Great comment. One small nitpick. Their* :P

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#18 flowerlandfilms

flowerlandfilms

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

Except for the fact that it is a translated comment from the original Japanese, and the media have been known to take whatever meaning they wish from Japanese Nintendo statements without translating them properly. This is actually the very opposite of "Specific".

#19 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

Pretty nice to hear this coming so bluntly from Miyamoto's mouth. I hope it's well translated, seems like it should be since he wasn't speaking in circles. He probably said it incredibly straight forward so everyone would know what he meant this time.

Now Nintendo go and make that Super Metroid HD I've been wanting!! You would hear a piercing scream around the world from all the Ninty fans if that was announced.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Miyamoto, Wii U, Nintendo, Casual

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!