Photo

Microsoft Nearing Deal To Buy Mojang for 2 Billion?!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

Microsoft Corp. MSFT +0.62% is in serious discussions to buy Mojang AB, the Swedish
company behind the popular "Minecraft" videogame, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

The deal would be valued at more than $2 billion and could be signed as early as this week, the person said. A Microsoft spokesman declined comment, as did Mojang Chief Executive Carl Manneh.

http://online.wsj.co...raft-1410300213

I'm not a big player of Minecraft anymore, haven't even really tried Scrolls or Cobalt yet. But this would really suck, it goes against what Notch wanted for the company (to stay independent), no Minecraft Wii U chances, just all around not great for the gamers. If they did get bought, I wouldn't trust Microsft (See: RareWare).

What do you think?

Stupid Snowmads!

#2 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

Eeh I don't care, all they have is minecraft anyway. And the only thing it'll do is have it exclusive to xbox consoles as well as pc

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:01 PM

When Minecraft craze dies out then what? Then again 2 bill is nothing to MS so short term success they are fin spending the money I guess. Never played Minecraft and doesn't interest me. Just seems like one of those things that gets super popular for a while then later only ones who play it are hardcore fans.

#4 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

Well they get Minecraft and maybe a new ip created by that team. So it's a good deal for Microsoft, if ya ask me.

#5 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

When Minecraft craze dies out then what? Then again 2 bill is nothing to MS so short term success they are fin spending the money I guess. Never played Minecraft and doesn't interest me. Just seems like one of those things that gets super popular for a while then later only ones who play it are hardcore fans.

All the same Microsoft doesn't have the best track records with dev teams *cough*rare*cough* and Mojang are a pretty cool gang. It would be a real shame to see Microsoft kill them.

Oh and I played minecraft before it was (very) popular. I'm talking when seananners was the biggest person playing and his vdis were only getting views in the tens of thousands. Alpha level stuff B)

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

I expect it to be popular for a couple years more but in time the craze will die down and those guys seem like one trick ponies. The deal with MS would seal that fate for that company.

#7 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

I expect it to be popular for a couple years more but in time the craze will die down and those guys seem like one trick ponies. The deal with MS would seal that fate for that company.

I'm honestly it's lasted this long. Fanbas has gone to crap in the short time it's been around tho

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#8 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:03 AM

Foolish of them to wait until now when the ps4 version is out.

Minecraft as digital Legos is cool I guess, but after all is said and done, you're looking at your work of "art" that resembles and old Atari game.

Pass.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 10 September 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

If Microsoft's reported attempt to buy Mojang is successful, a Bloomberg source says founder and owner Markus "Notch" Persson is "unlikely" to stay on at the Swedish studio afterwards. According to the source, which Bloomberg notes as a person "familiar with Microsoft," the two companies are finalizing details after agreeing a framework and approximate price, which The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg believe to be in excess of $2 billion. Bloomberg's insider adds Persson will remain to help during a transition period, but will probably leave the company afterwards.

Yesterday The Wall Street Journal claimed Microsoft is in talks to buy Minecraft studio Mojang, and "three people with knowledge of the talks" back that up for Bloomberg. Both Microsoft and Mojang declined to comment to Bloomberg, while a Microsoft spokesperson told Joystiq, "We don't comment on rumors or speculation." According to the reports, the deal could be finalized this week.

http://www.joystiq.c...fter-ms-buyout/

#10 Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time

Spiny

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

Two years makes a difference.  Now the turkey sucking has begun.

EzKcJCx.png

#11 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

Just a rumour.

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

Just a rumour.

http://www.destructo...ft-281186.phtml

Nope. It's offcial now.

#13 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

http://www.destructo...ft-281186.phtml

Nope. It's offcial now.

Well, Minecraft for Wii U is no longer a thing.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#14 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

Well, Minecraft for Wii U is no longer a thing.

everyone pay Microsoft.... errr nevermind.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#15 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Oh wait Notch and the other founders are leaving as well...

oh ok, well that's gg. Mojang is practically dead already. Microsoft clearly doesn't want them for their talent, but just for their name.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

kI1q0kn.jpg

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

Two years makes a difference.  Now the turkey sucking has begun.

EzKcJCx.png

Not really. Hes not working with microsoft, hes taking a big fat paycheck to get rid of a massive problem. One that recent events have only further solidified his conviction in the decision.

Notch doesnt want anything to do with the loud obnoxious hating spiteful harrassing rotten slimey core of the games enthusiast community, the 'gamers'.

Now its microsofts problem, and Notch has a money bin to dive into.

http://www.polygon.c...phil-fish-video

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Not really. Hes not working with microsoft, hes taking a big fat paycheck to get rid of a massive problem. One that recent events have only further solidified his conviction in the decision.

Notch doesnt want anything to do with the loud obnoxious hating spiteful harrassing rotten slimey core of the games enthusiast community, the 'gamers'.

Now its microsofts problem, and Notch has a money bin to dive into.

http://www.polygon.c...phil-fish-video

Wait do you mean the minecraft community? Cause them I can see someone not wanting to be associated with.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#19 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

Notch has a money bin to dive into.

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

Wait do you mean the minecraft community? Cause them I can see someone not wanting to be associated with.

Yeah, the loudest and whiniest members of the minecraft community is a good example. But its the videogame community as a whole. The loudest voices belong to the meanest, nastiest most obnoxious individuals with an inexaustible supply of energy for hounding and complaining.

Once you get their attention, things inevitably begin to sour.

Fortunately, Im not worried, the Minecraft source code has been available to modders for years, and so thouroghly that MS couldnt possibly even begin to attempt to stop it, so for pc at least, minecraft will continue the way it always has, and there is nothing ms can do about it.

*Hops on airship an flies off*

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!