Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

Book 4 Episode 8 impressions! It was kinda a meh episode but then awesomeness happened. I loved seeing Zaheer again. I found it really great that he just told Korra the truth. Blaming him isn't helping her recover; I thought it was also neat that he didn't like Kuvira. I mean, it would be assumed, but hearing it straight from him was great. Also, I think I mentioned it in a previous episode, but like, the use of music. That final scene was AWESOME just because of the music.

Book 4 Episode 10 impressions! I want to say right off the bat that this is my favorite episode of Book 4 now. Obviously the overall episode was great so I'll just to skip to what really made it for me. Getting to see the effect of the super weapon was awesome. Blowing through a mountain? The finale is gonna be great. Korra talking to the spirits was great. Just plain interesting and great. And who can forget the Suyin versus Kuvira fight? Beautiful. It looked like two master fencers going at it. The whole mother versus daughter relationship added depth to it, but really, it was so damn technically impressive and beautiful to watch. This final stretch of episodes is gonna be crazy!

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#22 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

I've got one thing to say( I haven't watched the new episode, but it shouldn't matter being mostly a clip show):

The way the relationships are going, there's 3 possibilities for Korea's love life: The writers do some retcons/buttpulls on par with the Star Wars EU to get Makorra to work, they have her have no one, or the only logical option IMO is to finally confirm Korrasami. It would be so stupid if she ends up with Mako I would pull my reaction towards tLA movie: "They didn't make a movie", though in this case it would be " what season 4?". Korrasami is the only pairing that makes sense over the series so far.

End rant.

1311626491256.jpg

Search your heart, you know it to be true. Makorra sucks so hard and Bryke is going to have an ending with a pairing.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#23 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

I think Zhu Li's betrayal was fake

mhmmmm

#24 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:04 PM

I can't wait to see Zhu Li and Varrick's reunion.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#25 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

Book 4 Episode 11 impressions! Just a heads up, there WILL be character death next weak. Like, almost all of the main and minor characters were in one room and blown up by the spirit vine Mecha suit. Next week will be bittersweet on more than one level. Needless to say, it was a great episode. Looking forward to see Korra's journey finish next week. Even though I might cry at the end.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png

#26 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

Copying my post from GFAQs:

Spoiler

Also Portal, I can't agree with you on last week's episode being good. I thought it was very anticlimactic.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#27 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

I'd say book 4 is the second worse season, though I don't know who is to blame, considering that Nick rushed it out and Bryke finished the stuff about a week before today. Balance was rarely brought up and the Red Lotus was an aborted arc.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

#28 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

Korra Series Finale impressions! I just wanna say, I totally didn't cry at the end. I felt sadder at the end of Season 5 of TCW. Anyway, this wasn't the finale I wanted. I wanted Korra going into the Avatar State, kicking butt, something something Kuvira, and then seeing how Korra's grown through the seasons. BUT IT WAS STILL AWESOME. The animation was absolutely GORGEOUS, even better than the Book 3 Red Lotus fights. I was blown away by how the giant mech suit fight was handled. Like, surprisingly perfect. And then Hiroshi died. It worked and there was some feels. Mako lightning bending was done really well. I was expecting him to be killed off. Actually that's a small complaint. I wish he lost an arm. Maybe it's the StarWars parallels, but the whole self sacrifice should've resulted in losing his arm. It felt so obvious but didn't quite happen. Moving on to the Kuvira/Korra showdown. The Avatar State was missing. It was still an amazing fight. I literally went "Holy crap! Korra's back!" Great choreography and it was awesome to see her kinda kicking butt. I guess it was a draw? The Spirit Portal was kinda out of nowhere, but it managed to work. Kuvira's end was a little anticlimactic, but there was still a great fight scene. Varrick and Zhu Li's wedding was awesome. What better way to end the series? Oh yeah. I think I'm supposed to be flipping out over Korrasami? Erm, when Korra was talking to Tenzin I yelled "Character arc complete!"? It may be canon, but all the others are too. Like, everyone got with everybody. For all we know they were only together for a few weeks or months like the other pairings. Whatevs.

Korra series finale. Now the only show I'm currently watching is StarWars Rebels. Sadness. Well, now to wait for comics. I'll do a season "review" early next year after I marathon it. I liked it. A little slow, but it picked up and got pretty great.

Tl;dr Korra is over, it's sad, but it was an awesome journey.

Signature_Portal1.png

#29 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:27 AM

I felt the ending was pretty poor. The fight was good but the very end with Korra and Asami walking into the spirit portal just didn't seem right. They had only been friends up until that point and then the writers decide to throw this in at the end to please a large portion of the fan base that was hoping for this in their constant obnoxious 'shipping' of the two.

The writer, Bryan Konietzko even had the nerve to blame the audience:

If it seems out of the blue to you, I think a second viewing of the last two seasons would show that perhaps you were looking at it only through a hetero lens. 

They failed to develop their relationship to anymore than a friendship and they then blame the audience for watching their show the wrong way. I just can't believe he would say such a thing.

They can put as many same sex relationships in their shows as they want but if they don't develop the relationship and just throw it in at the end then they can expect criticism, not for it being a same sex relationship but just for it being poorly presented to the audience.

Overall the ending wasn't great. If it were the ending for a season then it wouldn't be so bad but an ending for the whole series it just wasn't done well enough.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#30 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:23 AM

I felt the ending was pretty poor. The fight was good but the very end with Korra and Asami walking into the spirit portal just didn't seem right. They had only been friends up until that point and then the writers decide to throw this in at the end to please a large portion of the fan base that was hoping for this in their constant obnoxious 'shipping' of the two.

They failed to develop their relationship to anymore than a friendship and they then blame the audience for watching their show the wrong way. I just can't believe he would say such a thing.

They can put as many same sex relationships in their shows as they want but if they don't develop the relationship and just throw it in at the end then they can expect criticism, not for it being a same sex relationship but just for it being poorly presented to the audience.

Overall the ending wasn't great. If it were the ending for a season then it wouldn't be so bad but an ending for the whole series it just wasn't done well enough.

Except they DIDN'T throw it in at the end. All throughout book 3/4, we see Korra and Asami form bonds of intial friendship(Started off in Book 2, IIRC), and it grows over time. Off of the top of my head:

Asami being the one to take care of Korra while she's talking to Zaheer

Asami being the one who looked after Korra when Korra was recovering

Korra writing and keeping in contact ONLY with Asami. Not Tenzin, or Mako, or Bolin, or anyone besides Asami. That's beyond friendship, that's true trust, and Asami was willing to keep that secret up.

It's in the series, you just need to look for it. What WOULD have been fanservice would have been Makorra, as we saw them constantly sink that ship over and over again.

#31 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:37 AM

Except they DIDN'T throw it in at the end. All throughout book 3/4, we see Korra and Asami form bonds of intial friendship(Started off in Book 2, IIRC), and it grows over time. Off of the top of my head:

Asami being the one to take care of Korra while she's talking to Zaheer

Asami being the one who looked after Korra when Korra was recovering

Korra writing and keeping in contact ONLY with Asami. Not Tenzin, or Mako, or Bolin, or anyone besides Asami. That's beyond friendship, that's true trust, and Asami was willing to keep that secret up.

It's in the series, you just need to look for it. What WOULD have been fanservice would have been Makorra, as we saw them constantly sink that ship over and over again.

I don't know.. I only ever saw them growing closer as friends, there didn't seem like there was a romantic attraction between the two and that's why I think it was done poorly. Just showing them as close friends that trust each other a lot does not suggest romantic attraction to me, I think it could have been done much better than it was.

To me it felt like they went from good friends to this mutual attraction of "hey lets hold hands as we go on our vacation alone in the spirit world together" which to me felt rushed, there wasn't any romantic development of the relationship before that so it seemed sudden.

I think either one would have been fan service because the series seemed like it would have made more sense to end without her in a relationship.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#32 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:46 AM

I don't know.. I only ever saw them growing closer as friends, there didn't seem like there was a romantic attraction between the two and that's why I think it was done poorly. Just showing them as close friends that trust each other a lot does not suggest romantic attraction to me, I think it could have been done much better than it was.

To me it felt like they went from good friends to this mutual attraction of "hey lets hold hands as we go on our vacation alone in the spirit world together" which to me felt rushed, there wasn't any romantic development of the relationship before that so it seemed sudden.

I think either one would have been fan service because the series seemed like it would have made more sense to end without her in a relationship.

So much this. The ending really didn't feel right. The little hints and stuff were there, but it really wasn't done too well. Me personally, I only saw it as Korra trying to get closer to Asami after the Revolution in Book 1 and the ridiculousness that was Book 2. Not the ending I wanted(no Avatar State?) and the whole "Holy crap this is great for LGBT" was poorly done.

Signature_Portal1.png

#33 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

Kuveria or whatever turning good all sounded like kiddy BS to me, was hoping to see her doom.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#34 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

I didn't see anything other than a friendship in S3, but I thought it became pretty obvious during S4.

pls no kotaku, they're trash and they can't analyze worth crap (I'm looking at your garbage anime reviews Eisenbeis)

The tumblr posts are x and x

#35 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

So much this. The ending really didn't feel right. The little hints and stuff were there, but it really wasn't done too well. Me personally, I only saw it as Korra trying to get closer to Asami after the Revolution in Book 1 and the ridiculousness that was Book 2. Not the ending I wanted(no Avatar State?) and the whole "Holy crap this is great for LGBT" was poorly done.

Yeah, I think she only entered the Avatar State very briefly in the whole battle and not even when she was one on one with Kuvira although I suppose that may have made things a bit more fair if that's what she was going for.

If this were truly for LGBT representation then why only one LGBT couple and why so poorly done? It really does feel like they threw this in at the end to please fans and throw in a message of LGBT support. Geez that blaming the audience for viewing it wrong really rubbed me the wrong way.

Kuveria or whatever turning good all sounded like kiddy BS to me, was hoping to see her doom.

That would have been a better ending. If the laser had spun around and hit her and the blast could then have still opened the spirit portal it probably would have felt like a more satisfying ending. Kuvira caused too much harm to just decide to turn a new leaf. She'll still be locked up for what I assume to be life imprisonment but I think her demise in the heat of battle would have been more satisfying to see.

I didn't see anything other than a friendship in S3, but I thought it became pretty obvious during S4.

pls no kotaku, they're trash and they can't analyze worth crap (I'm looking at your garbage anime reviews Eisenbeis)

The tumblr posts are x and x

What made it obvious for you in S4?

I try to avoid Kotaku, it's just that I'm still following their facebook page and I came across this post. Some of the things they post about are interesting but I don't care for what their writers have to say about such topics.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#36 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, I think she only entered the Avatar State very briefly in the whole battle and not even when she was one on one with Kuvira although I suppose that may have made things a bit more fair if that's what she was going for.

If this were truly for LGBT representation then why only one LGBT couple and why so poorly done? It really does feel like they threw this in at the end to please fans and throw in a message of LGBT support. Geez that blaming the audience for viewing it wrong really rubbed me the wrong way.

That would have been a better ending. If the laser had spun around and hit her and the blast could then have still opened the spirit portal it probably would have felt like a more satisfying ending. Kuvira caused too much harm to just decide to turn a new leaf. She'll still be locked up for what I assume to be life imprisonment but I think her demise in the heat of battle would have been more satisfying to see.

I try to avoid Kotaku, it's just that I'm still following their facebook page and I came across this post. Some of the things they post about are interesting but I don't care for what their writers have to say about such topics.

The whole ending in general felt rushed... :/

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#37 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

The character interactions, Korra had a much more trusting relationship with Asami than the other characters, that and the scene where she ends up blushing when Asami complements her hair.

Everything in animation is done on purpose.

#38 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

The character interactions, Korra had a much more trusting relationship with Asami than the other characters, that and the scene where she ends up blushing when Asami complements her hair.

The blushing was the biggest hint but it was at a point where they only seemed like friends and had they not ended up together in the end it still would have seemed like just a friendly compliment but now in knowing the ending we can look back and say "see she blushed so there must have been a romantic attraction" when her blushing and her interaction with Asami just seemed like close friends, even her reuniting with Mako in that scene was a reflection of how close they have become after everything. Sure Mako and Korra aren't in as trusting a relationship as she is with Asami but that trust alone to me doesn't convey a romantic attraction. It was poorly done, they put such subtle hints that came across as regular friendship then blame the audience for thinking that the pairing in the end was out of the blue; while I can agree it wasn't completely out of the blue it definitely was not presented very well.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#39 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:08 PM

Yeah, I caught that pretty quickly. Good on the writers for not making the "romance" weird like Book 1, but it still made the ending feel a bit rushed and out of place. Really wanted that Avatar State...

Signature_Portal1.png

#40 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, I caught that pretty quickly. Good on the writers for not making the "romance" weird like Book 1, but it still made the ending feel a bit rushed and out of place. Really wanted that Avatar State...

I think the point that they tried to make in both shows was that the Avatar state shouldn't be used as a clutch to destroy your enemies (with Aang's and Korra's nature). Why the final battle with Aang was kind of meh and why Korra didn't take out Kuvira. This would also have to do with Korra's teachers being Tenzin and Aang (more peaceful airbenders), while Aang's teachers were Roku and the previous avatars (who were more violent, specifically Kiyoshi).

Recently /co/ was brainstorming the idea of a "third season" avatar with an Earth Avatar in a Dune-esque world. Where the avatar would have to deal with Vaatu growing within himself and he would be a darker or more violent avatar, which would be interesting. I really like the concept of a dark avatar or darker avatar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!