• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

I ended up getting this Brix AMD gaming machine: http://www.amazon.co...ref=mp_s_a_1_13

I paired it with 4GB RAM and a 128GB SDD. So I started it up and files moved quick, thanks to the SSD, but processor intensive operations were slow.

I quickly figured out that the processor was in something called Operation mode to save fan noise, meaning it only clocks to 1.9GHz. Gigabyte seemed to make a decision this was the best default setting. And it was noticably slow in general use. However in BIOS, I changed the setting to Turbo to cause the processor to clock to 2.9-3.1GHz, and it now performs admirably.

Compared to a system with a Core i7-4500u, 8GB RAM, and a Geforce 750M, my system performed 35-40% better at games. This is not a number I just pulled out of my butt - the better graphics card makes it so you can go up a notch in resolution over the Core i7/750m system.

The system is as loud as a small hair dryer, and outputs feelable heat out the sides as you game. But man, is it fast. I recommend pairing it with a 1600x900 screen resolution, unless you don't mind mild settings.

So as a recap, a 3.1GHz AMD A8-5557M, with 4GB RAM and a 640 shader M275x graphics card with 2GB GDDR5, performs 35-40% faster in games than a 3 GHz Core i7-4500u, 8GB RAM, and a 384 shader Geforce 750M card with 4GB GDDR3. Of course it also moves files faster than the other system due to having a SSD, but in processor intensive applications, it's really only about 20-30% slower than a Core i7-4500u when Turbo is on, to be honest. And that's with half the RAM. Of course, this last 20-30% figure is going by "how fast" it feels and how it compiles code and such.

#2 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

have you not experienced any under clocking from overheating? from my experience to cool itself down it will kill its own performance
(which logically doesnt make sense anyways, its already hot, turning it down while its still running wont fix anything)

Edited by SPG, 04 October 2014 - 08:10 PM.

wa3Nq7j.png

#3 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

have you not experienced any under clocking from overheating? from my experience to cool itself down it will kill its own performance
(which logically doesnt make anyways, its already hot, turning it down while its still running wont fix anything)

The Gigabyte products currently choose heat and performance. If you want throttling instead of heat, go with a similar Zotac product.

This is what I have read, and I pretty much find it to be true, at least on the Gigabyte side.

Are you saying you have a Brix and it throttles?

Edited by Porridge, 04 October 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#4 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

no, i've never owned a pc like this, I just have a long hdmi cable going to my tv in the living room. I just figured something like this would over heat and tune down its clock speeds
if I ever buy a pc liek this for my living room i'll get the best one on the market and throw it in a fish tank to make sure it runs cool...wait....

wa3Nq7j.png

#5 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

Well here's a tip... One of the main reasons for under clocking isn't heat but having both CPU and GPU on a single die and it exceeding its TDP. Since this has a discrete graphics card, it greatly reduces the risk :).

#6 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

How have you been liking the Brix? I've been looking at one too for a gaming system but I've been looking at this one with an i5 and Geforce 760, but it is $270 more.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#7 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

How have you been liking the Brix? I've been looking at one too for a gaming system but I've been looking at this one with an i5 and Geforce 760, but it is $270 more.

Mine is wildly good. It does run a little hot, as in like I said, heat shooting out the sides as exhaust.

Be careful when you put the RAM stick(s) in. I accidentally broke one of the RAM holders installing the RAM somehow, but it still works okay. I'm not sure if it's Gigabyte's fault for making the RAM holders, or mine for being clumsy.

That Gigabyte you linked to does look nice. If you want to save $270, you could go with that AMD one even. The one you linked to is made for gaming at 1920x1080 or higher and is much more powerful, in my opinion; this AMD one is sufficient for gaming at 1600x900.

I do worry that the one you linked might get too hot, but I don't have the experience of that product to say. I really would not wish upon others anything hotter than my Brix.

#8 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo,Nintendo,Arsenal and Merrikh

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

I ended up getting this Brix AMD gaming machine: http://www.amazon.co...ref=mp_s_a_1_13

I paired it with 4GB RAM and a 128GB SDD. So I started it up and files moved quick, thanks to the SSD, but processor intensive operations were slow.

I quickly figured out that the processor was in something called Operation mode to save fan noise, meaning it only clocks to 1.9GHz. Gigabyte seemed to make a decision this was the best default setting. And it was noticably slow in general use. However in BIOS, I changed the setting to Turbo to cause the processor to clock to 2.9-3.1GHz, and it now performs admirably.

Compared to a system with a Core i7-4500u, 8GB RAM, and a Geforce 750M, my system performed 35-40% better at games. This is not a number I just pulled out of my butt - the better graphics card makes it so you can go up a notch in resolution over the Core i7/750m system.

The system is as loud as a small hair dryer, and outputs feelable heat out the sides as you game. But man, is it fast. I recommend pairing it with a 1600x900 screen resolution, unless you don't mind mild settings.

So as a recap, a 3.1GHz AMD A8-5557M, with 4GB RAM and a 640 shader M275x graphics card with 2GB GDDR5, performs 35-40% faster in games than a 3 GHz Core i7-4500u, 8GB RAM, and a 384 shader Geforce 750M card with 4GB GDDR3. Of course it also moves files faster than the other system due to having a SSD, but in processor intensive applications, it's really only about 20-30% slower than a Core i7-4500u when Turbo is on, to be honest. And that's with half the RAM. Of course, this last 20-30% figure is going by "how fast" it feels and how it compiles code and such.

I was expecting alot of heat because their throwing massive power inside a mini htpc case but from what you wrote it doesnt produce much heat.

I would like to correct something , Geforce 750M runs on ddr3 not GDDR3. So its basiclly running with the same bandwith as your RAM.

I was hoping for some FPS but its very good short review but am planning to get the zotac e3 as you recommednded.

#9 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

I was expecting alot of heat because their throwing massive power inside a mini htpc case but from what you wrote it doesnt produce much heat.
I would like to correct something , Geforce 750M runs on ddr3 not GDDR3. So its basiclly running with the same bandwith as your RAM.
I was hoping for some FPS but its very good short review but am planning to get the zotac e3 as you recommednded.

Oops, sorry.

Tomb Raider, ultra settings, 1600x900 - 33fps.

Half-Life 2 (lol), 1600x900, 4x AA, 16x AF, maxed - approximately 200 fps.

Crysis - ultra settings, 1600x900 - about 25fps. (I prefer High just because)

Also, here is what gaming on the integrated graphics as opposed to the dedicated card is like:

Half-Life 2, 1600x900, 4x AA, 16x AF, maxed - 30 fps.

(That's an 7x boost by using the card!)

n6fbds.jpg

Edited by Porridge, 05 October 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#10 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo,Nintendo,Arsenal and Merrikh

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

Oops, sorry.

Tomb Raider, ultra settings, 1600x900 - 33fps.

Half-Life 2 (lol), 1600x900, 4x AA, 16x AF, maxed - approximately 200 fps.

Crysis - ultra settings, 1600x900 - about 25fps. (I prefer High just because)

Also, here is what gaming on the integrated graphics as opposed to the dedicated card is like:

Half-Life 2, 1600x900, 4x AA, 16x AF, maxed - 30 fps.

(That's an 7x boost by using the card!)

n6fbds.jpg

This is so beautiful !!!!! The color of the case is absolutelly beautifull. The fps on integrated chip is amazing (AMD made a great investment when they bought ATI) I have a coucple of questions

1.Is it running its own built in powersupply???

2.does it have bluetooth????

3.How is its gaming performance in ubuntu????

#11 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

This is so beautiful !!!!! The color of the case is absolutelly beautifull. The fps on integrated chip is amazing (AMD made a great investment when they bought ATI) I have a coucple of questions
1.Is it running its own built in powersupply???
2.does it have bluetooth????
3.How is its gaming performance in ubuntu????

Okay so here are your answers:

Regarding the integrated graphics, I did not know 30FPS was that good in Half-Life 2 :).

There is a huge power brick that's big but kind of flat. Does this mean the power supply is external?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does have Bluetooth.

And regarding Ubuntu, Half-Life 2 actually runs better in it. But I recommend you don't install Ubuntu on it. It doesn't work correctly out of the box with it, and installing the proper graphics driver requires jumping through a few hoops including using the 'Terminal'. But that's up to you.

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

Okay so here are your answers:

Regarding the integrated graphics, I did not know 30FPS was that good in Half-Life 2 :).

There is a huge power brick that's big but kind of flat. Does this mean the power supply is external?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does have Bluetooth.

And regarding Ubuntu, Half-Life 2 actually runs better in it. But I recommend you don't install Ubuntu on it. It doesn't work correctly out of the box with it, and installing the proper graphics driver requires jumping through a few hoops including using the 'Terminal'. But that's up to you.

Power is definately external just by looking at the slick package.

Glad youre happy man, game on!

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!