• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

https://nintendo.tal...E&src=SNS-10380

Description of Duties

Nintendo Technology Development is looking for a lead graphics architect in the system-on-chip architecture group in Redmond, WA. The group is responsible for the architecture of Nintendo’s game console SoCs. The graphics architect plays a key role in determining the SoC architecture. The job responsibilities are: 
  • Evaluate HW graphics (GPU) offerings from SoC solutions available in the market based on performance, power, and silicon area.
  • Evaluate the performance of the SoC solutions for both proprietary and standard graphics APIs.
  • Determine workloads and simulation models for both performance and power characteristics of GPUs.
  • Keep track of GPU architectural improvements in the industry and devise strategies to incorporate them for future Nintendo gaming platforms. 
  • Act as the graphics architectural evangelist working with global Nintendo teams for future and on-going programs.
  • Work with external SoC vendors as the Nintendo focal point for graphics GPU architecture.
  • Should be prepared to work through architecture, design, validation, and bring-up stages of SoC design in cooperation with internal and external teams. 

We all know Nintendo (Sony, MS) are always researching and developing future products, just as any tech company. This certainly validates that. It will be interesting to see what comes of this in some years down the road when Wii U and New 3DS production stops.

What do you think Nintendo will do for it's next console? Will Nintendo keep backward compatibility? Will it be a home console/handheld all in one?

Edited by Sorceror12, 21 October 2014 - 09:37 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#2 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

What do you think Nintendo will do for it's next console?

Didn't they say they're looking into  combining their portable and home consoles?

And I feel like Nintendo would keep backwards compatibility. Isn't it something they support fairly strongly?

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#3 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

Didn't they say they're looking into  combining their portable and home consoles?

And I feel like Nintendo would keep backwards compatibility. Isn't it something they support fairly strongly?

Yeah, some stories a while back suggested the next console could be a combination. Since both handheld and home console divisions were merged you would think the hardware would compliment that.

It will be interesting though.. a device that can be a home console and be a portable... with backwards compatibility for Wii U and 3ds?? That would rock.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#4 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

OMG NEXT GEN CONFIRMED 

No sig.

#5 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

me

#6 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

It kind of looks like you're replying to your own signature lol

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#7 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:37 PM

It will be interesting though.. a device that can be a home console and be a portable... with backwards compatibility for Wii U and 3ds?? That would rock.

Basically a Wii U then? If the Gamepad was properly portable and had a SD slot or where you can install your disc to console then once verified it could allow you to transfer full game to Gamepad. The future is here!

#8 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

I would honesly be happy with something pretty much exactly like Wii U that can do 1080 more easily and where the gamepad basically turns into a 3DS that can be played anywhere.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#9 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

My guess is that Nintendo, next gen, will opt to develop similar architectures for their consoles. That way, they can develop one game that works on both consoles, like PC games. Kinda like a low-end and high-end architecture.

That way they can really avoid droughts and keep supporting their consoles on their own.
They also save money and staff that they can use on bigger projects or develop new genres - like they are doing with Splatoon.

Also, the next gamepad will have the same button layout and tech so that you can buy just the home console if you already own the handheld.
I can already see a bundle with that in mind for 400$.

I call it the Nintendo ecosystem strategy.

#10 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

Didn't they say they're looking into combining their portable and home consoles?

They are looking to have one platform on many devices, like what Microsoft is doing for Windows. So you buy a game for Wii U, you automatically have it for 3DS. Or something like that.

My guess is that Nintendo, next gen, will opt to develop similar architectures for their consoles. That way, they can develop one game that works on both consoles, like PC games. Kinda like a low-end and high-end architecture.
That way they can really avoid droughts and keep supporting their consoles on their own.
They also save money and staff that they can use on bigger projects or develop new genres - like they are doing with Splatoon.

Also, the next gamepad will have the same button layout and tech so that you can buy just the home console if you already own the handheld.
I can already see a bundle with that in mind for 400$.

I call it the Nintendo ecosystem strategy.

It might mean they will use the same architecture - I mean, Microsoft considered using ARM for Xbox One - but it doesn't have to. Just like Microsoft is moving towards one Windows, Nintendo is doing the same.

We all know Nintendo (Sony, MS) are always researching and developing future products, just as any tech company. This certainly validates that. It will be interesting to see what comes of this in some years down the road when Wii U and New 3DS production stops.

What do you think Nintendo will do for it's next console? Will Nintendo keep backward compatibility? Will it be a home console/handheld all in one?

I think Nintendo will release a tablet and a game console. The tablet will be standalone while the console will be both handheld and home console.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#11 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

They are looking to have one platform on many devices, like what Microsoft is doing for Windows. So you buy a game for Wii U, you automatically have it for 3DS. Or something like that.

It might mean they will use the same architecture - I mean, Microsoft considered using ARM for Xbox One - but it doesn't have to. Just like Microsoft is moving towards one Windows, Nintendo is doing the same.

I think Nintendo will release a tablet and a game console. The tablet will be standalone while the console will be both handheld and home console.

I honestly don't think replacing the handheld with a tablet is a good idea. How can you play your typical Nintendo game without buttons? And how can you share your games between platforms if you can't (easily) duplicate the same experience of the home console version? Not to mention the difference in horsepower.

A tablet could appear, but only as a 3rd pillar.
By developing 2 machines that can play the same game, the save financial and human resources can be used to develop a new - or second - line of game development.
What i mean is, with a tablet can create smaller games (with assets and engine they already know) that can also be played on the handheld and home console. But the other way around wouldn't work, of course.

This tablet would also have access to the android or ios market for games, creating it's unique market of Nintendo games. A plus to sell the console, but not to the point of replacing the experience provided by the handheld or home console.

Iwata already mentioned they would like to have more form factors, but the need for manpower doesn't allow them to do it.
This could be the way to make things work without sacrificing any of the markets.

#12 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

I would honesly be happy with something pretty much exactly like Wii U that can do 1080 more easily and where the gamepad basically turns into a 3DS that can be played anywhere.

That would be great if the Wii U itself was that way.

But since this other will be a new system, it should be more along the lines of PS5 spec.

#13 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

That would be great if the Wii U itself was that way.

But since this other will be a new system, it should be more along the lines of PS5 spec.

Yeah I'm sure it will be a lot more powerful. I'm just saying I'm pretty much happy with the amount of power even the Wii U has. Anything extra is pretty much just bonus for me.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#14 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:25 AM

Yeah I'm sure it will be a lot more powerful. I'm just saying I'm pretty much happy with the amount of power even the Wii U has. Anything extra is pretty much just bonus for me.

Eventually graphics are going to hit a wall, where the games all look as good as the devs want them to look. At that point there probably won't be any more new consoles. I just hope Nintendo has caught up graphics-wise by then, because they're not going to want to buy a new Nintendo system when they're never going to have to buy a new Playstation/xbox.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#15 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:31 AM

Eventually graphics are going to hit a wall, where the games all look as good as the devs want them to look. At that point there probably won't be any more new consoles. I just hope Nintendo has caught up graphics-wise by then, because they're not going to want to buy a new Nintendo system when they're never going to have to buy a new Playstation/xbox.

I respectfully disagree about there being no new consoles. There will always be micro details and new 3D technology to chase. It could be 100 years before we reach a true hardware bottleneck completely.

#16 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

I respectfully disagree about there being no new consoles. There will always be micro details and new 3D technology to chase. It could be 100 years before we reach a true hardware bottleneck completely.

Yeah I think that's true, but R0obot also has a point. I think I've heard part of the reason the Wii was so behind was because Nintendo felt like there was no need to make games look more realistic than what the Wii could do in terms of how enjoyable games were. And even if in terms of new things being developed and more powerful systems being created to handle new levels of detail, that probably will take a very long time to bottleneck, but it won't be that long before we stop noticing the details unless we look for them. Real life has all these crazy details that are incredibly hard to replicate perfectly, yes, but we notice like 1/100th of that stuff the majority of the time, and that's why games have survived so long without that detail. It's not really that important to us.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#17 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:19 AM

Of course graphics will always get better, but at what point will people stop caring?

bi5tzqg.gif

#18 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:08 AM

Of course graphics will always get better, but at what point will people stop caring?

When marketing fails the companies...

#19 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:29 AM

When marketing fails the companies...

I guess. If the next generational leap is as big as this last one then I can't see it getting much better though.

bi5tzqg.gif

#20 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:36 AM

I guess. If the next generational leap is as big as this last one then I can't see it getting much better though.

As soon as system power becomes negligible, I think it might actually work in Nintendo's favor. I could be wrong though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!