Photo

Looking at the whole Saturn thing again...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

So like I said before, I was buds with Saturn. All I know is that he invested his whole life into the forum for awhile, making this Nintendo forum his life. To me, that is not always the greatest of ideas. You need both online and offline friends.

Now during this time, I was pretty much staying away from the Wii U forums. All I would ever do on here was talk about Wii U specs. Few people got to know me that way, so I didn't really have friends.

Anyway, Saturn kept telling me that certain members were trolling him. He mentioned several names.

Personally I think what happened was that people ribbed him a little about his crossdressing because he didn't really explain it well. Then he got his feelings hurt. He kept getting his feelings hurt and whenever I said something about it, he was like, yeah I know. I should stop.

Now I don't know what all he did on here, but he did go from being a great member early on to getting in spats with almost everyone.

He even got mad at me once. He asked me, "My family isn't Christian. Do you, in your religious beliefs, think they'll go to heaven?" I answered, "No."

I too have changed. A few members, like Mitch, seemed to like the old, serious me. Still some members, like Sorceror, know me as the easygoing lad I am now. When I joined this forum, I had the belief that emotion was weakness. I never trolled or joked around, but just analyzed. I analyzed so much, it made some people, like GameCollector, crack. We had a little skirmish before he became a mod. But if you ask me if I was in the wrong, I would answer, "Yes I was."

So I guess where I'm going with this, is that I think this is a great forum. I just don't think the people are the problem. But you also have to have a slightly thick skin because if you ever don't explain things well, people won't understand and might rib you a little.

I try not to think about Saturn too much, but whenever there was a forum issue he had, I somehow got dragged into it.

What do you think? Do these forums have social issues? Or was Saturn just going on witch hunts?

#2 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

So I guess where I'm going with this, is that I think this is a great forum. I just don't think the people are the problem. But you also have to have a slightly thick skin because if you ever don't explain things well, people won't understand and might rib you a little.

I try not to think about Saturn too much, but whenever there was a forum issue he had, I somehow got dragged into it.

What do you think? Do these forums have social issues? Or was Saturn just going on witch hunts?

this is something i was trying to explain to baltoist a while ago. It's a pretty mature forum, and - to a certain extent- you're expected to look out for yourself. People are going to joke with you and poke at you and you're just kind of expected to take it. People generally don't try to make others mad, it's just kind of expected for you to be chill. Of course no one can be chill all the time, and everyone has topics or things in general they care about, and will get upset about, but people expect that as well, and they tend to be forgiving when you feel the need to blow off some steam.

WUF is a great place, filled with chill m8's. 10/10.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#3 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

Your best bet is to never have an opinion on the internet, ever.

No matter what you say, someone is bound to disagree.

Whether this forum has issues or not is very subjective, and I won't be touching that. Saturn was a sensitive person, but I never had the time to form an opinion on his actions.

Edited by Tom, 04 November 2014 - 04:25 PM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#4 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

I just come for the ride

wa3Nq7j.png

#5 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:31 PM

Forum drama should always remain in the past and move on. I used to get caught up in drama but woke up and left and became more of the goofball I am now as I just wanna have fun. I have heard a lot about this Saturn guy. Seems he left and that is for the best for him. It happens to some people where they get emotionally caught up in trivial petty matters on a web forum. I hope Saturn was able to help himself get mentally better. I did.

#6 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

POPULAR

In remembrance of our beloved Saturn

saturnop_zps06902f46.gif

#7 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

saturnop_zps06902f46.gif

I can only guess what was happening here, and I still laughed like crazy.

#8 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

no

#9 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Forum drama should always remain in the past and move on. I used to get caught up in drama but woke up and left and became more of the goofball I am now as I just wanna have fun. I have heard a lot about this Saturn guy. Seems he left and that is for the best for him. It happens to some people where they get emotionally caught up in trivial petty matters on a web forum. I hope Saturn was able to help himself get mentally better. I did.

I always think forum drama should be treated just like real life drama. After all, just like in real life, it's person interacting with person. The only difference is people don't feel the same fear of being judged they do face to face, and that you can't hit someone for the things they say because of that lol.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#10 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

Was about to say it's in the past and it was dumb to bring it up. But that gif made me laugh until my sides started to hurt.

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#11 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

no

I was told you would make a great admin. I had my doubts, until I read this post.

#12 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

I was told you would make a great admin. I had my doubts, until I read this post.

Told you. Tom has some serious competition.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#13 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

Was about to say it's in the past and it was dumb to bring it up. But that gif made me laugh until my sides started to hurt.

Eh, I see saying that it was in the past, as just being another way of writing something off without addressing it. I don't think it was dumb.

#14 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

I always think forum drama should be treated just like real life drama. After all, just like in real life, it's person interacting with person. The only difference is people don't feel the same fear of being judged they do face to face, and that you can't hit someone for the things they say because of that lol.

Except a forum is something you have to go to. It's like driving to a place to get abused on purpose. You can easily just close the tab. Not like you are at home and family starts yelling at something. It's logging in online with a bunch a people you never met and getting emotionally upset. It's stockholm syndrome at that point. Like I know me being a goof can annoy some people when I don't mean to. My opinions may upset some people but not my intent. It used to bug me and let things go overboard. When I left it made me realize how silly it was. It's just a forum. Don't like it. Leave.

People say but I can't leave it's a community. No. It's not. It's a bunch of people slagging off on free time.It's not like it's a job you need and can't leave or living in a nieghborhood with bad nieghbors. Beauty of the internet is. Don't like it. Go somewhere else with a couple clicks. It's free. I'm not emotionally invested in this place. For the moment I like it. The minute I don't. Poof. Simple.

saturnop_zps06902f46.gif

I just now saw that picture few minutes ago. Now I know it was Wolfers and I almost had the same reaction as the gif. :laugh:

#15 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

I don't share Ryudo's sentiment. I know it sounds really lame, but just recently, it's like you guys became my second family.

#16 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

Except a forum is something you have to go to. It's like driving to a place to get abused on purpose. You can easily just close the tab. Not like you are at home and family starts yelling at something. It's logging in online with a bunch a people you never met and getting emotionally upset. It's stockholm syndrome at that point. Like I know me being a goof can annoy some people when I don't mean to. My opinions may upset some people but not my intent. It used to bug me and let things go overboard. When I left it made me realize how silly it was. It's just a forum. Don't like it. Leave.

People say but I can't leave it's a community. No. It's not. It's a bunch of people slagging off on free time.It's not like it's a job you need and can't leave or living in a nieghborhood with bad nieghbors. Beauty of the internet is. Don't like it. Go somewhere else with a couple clicks. It's free. I'm not emotionally invested in this place. For the moment I like it. The minute I don't. Poof. Simple.

I just now saw that picture few minutes ago. Now I know it was Wolfers and I almost had the same reaction as the gif. :laugh:

Yeah you're right about that. It's a lot easier to run away from, but running away isn't solving. And yeah you can leave if the problem isn't really solvable at all and the people just suck and you can't ever see yourself getting a long with them (I've done it myself). But like Porridge said, forums definitely are a community, and on pretty much every forum, just like with any community, there is the good and the bad. You usually end meeting a lot of people that are generally great, or at least seem to be great. You can often find a lot of support from them and you can share  pretty much anything. Most importantly you always having something that brings you together, since forums have themes. There's always at the very least that basic connection. And that's what makes leaving a forum so hard. Yeah it's :just the internet" but behind the screennames and profile pics there are people, and when you don't have any of that social awkwardness that comes with talking to people irl, you get to know those people most often for who they really are. And when you can see someone in their rawest form like that you tend to form very strong connections, connections that you don't want to just break off. Actually connections is a bad word. I'd say relationships are more appropriate. Any relationship is hard to turn your back on, so leaving a forum, and turning your back on several of them is especially hard. Especially when it's so easy to just open a tab and in a matter of seconds, be around those people again.

Though i should add this is generally more true in forums that have chat, since that is the best place to get to know someone. Treads have a theme that your discussion has to revolve around, and PM's are too similar to e-mail to communicate effectively.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#17 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

There is nothing on the forum that can be a real problem created in the forum to run away from. Any drama created in the forum is petty garbage and not a real problem. It's not running away from anything. It's being smart and not being caught up in stupid crap that wastes time on a place meant just to waste time. Pouring your real life problems online is not something created on the forum. That's something that happened where things matter but decided to involve strangers on your problems. Forum drama over forum stuff is dumb. Real people. Yes. Real problems. LOL NO!

#18 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

There are stories I could share and advice I could give, but it probably might not be in the best interest while I am still an admin though...

I still need to finish my post chronicling the history of Feldo's early forums...

#19 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

There is nothing on the forum that can be a real problem created in the forum to run away from. Any drama created in the forum is petty garbage and not a real problem. It's not running away from anything. It's being smart and not being caught up in stupid crap that wastes time on a place meant just to waste time. Pouring your real life problems online is not something created on the forum. That's something that happened where things matter but decided to involve strangers on your problems. Forum drama over forum stuff is dumb. Real people. Yes. Real problems. LOL NO!

Just seems to me like you got your feelings hurt at some point and are in denial.

#20 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

Ladies, let's not repeat history again.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!