• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

Games and game development sometimes make me sad, especially game development. The reason why is because there are really no true rules on what makes a good game. Now the same applies to writing and art.

Sure there are guidelines, that even the experts argue about. But Nintendo could break them all and still make a good game, while someone like EA could follow every rule and still find a way to troll the consumer.

If it really was simple, someone like Sega wouldn't occasionally spend millions of dollars on something just to create an unfavorable quality of game.

Now the best thing to do is to argue my opinion on what makes the games I like likeable and why I think games I make are good and not bad, but that is still not rooted in fact and takes a lot of energy. I feel like once I argue a game extensively, when I pick it up again, memories come back to me of me wasting energy arguing about it, and then the game just isn't quite as fun.

Really the only facts we have, is what journalists (professional game reviewers) think of a game, and what the majority thinks.

Now this issue has come up before. People question me on things like why I sold my XBox One. But there really is no reason other than personal preference. Any facts you can make that for example, Wii U is better than XBox One, can be retorted by facts that XBox One is better than Wii U.

#2 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:10 AM

There should be some sort of a rule, like don't release a sequal to  a game that costs the same price as the previous game did at launch (or even more) but with even LESS content than in the last game (I'm looking at you, Sims 4...)

But yeah, it is all personal preference to what you like, what absolutely SHOULD be a rule is don't release a game that is broken or not that different from it's predecessors (Call of Duty...) 

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#3 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

And that's the rainbowty thing about going to college to be a game developer.

Out of the thousands of students who are enrolled in Full Sail University, a solid three of them went on to have jobs in AAA studios.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#4 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

And that's the rainbowty thing about going to college to be a game developer.

Out of the thousands of students who are enrolled in Full Sail University, a solid three of them went on to have jobs in AAA studios.

EA will probably hire them.

#5 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

I thought this was about the opening chapter of The Last of Us.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!