Photo

The Collectors Problem... What do you think about Amiibo?

Amiibo super smash bros

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jesseolivier

jesseolivier

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Pikmin

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:14 AM

So like the few other hard core collectors out there, when Nintendo Announced Amiibos, one of the smallest questions asked was, "Hey will those work inside the box still?"

Well it it is confirmed that you have to open your amiibos to have them work due to a small strip of metal blocking the sensor on the bottom of each figure.

So I ask, Who else is disappointed with this, if this was something you were guna try, what are you going to do instead? Will you buy duplicates of a few? 

What must the collector bug bite so hard? 

#2 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:36 AM

I can see how people are disappointed by it, but it only makes sense. Lots of people say they wouldn't even think of buying one, scanning it in all their games and returning it, but I'm sure a decent amount of people would... It also seems like this would make an unopened amiibo worth more, as there's no way you could use it without opening it, making it truly unused.

I did see a couple people coming up with theories about how to use them while still in the box, though... One theory I saw was that you could stick a pin or needle (made of conductive material) through the bottom of the box until it pokes through the aluminum and use the pin as an antenna.

In any case, I have no plans to collect, so I'll be ripping mine open right away. :)

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#3 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

I saw them at EB games when I went to get smash yesterday, they are so TINY! The quality looked better in pictures MO :/

Edited by Horse, 22 November 2014 - 08:27 AM.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

Smart move on nintendo part. If a serious collector wants to use the item they will buy two. I collect but am opening them up to use them and put on display.
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Law212

Law212

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'm keeping mine in the boxes. I only have 3 so far, but it seems the villager is hard to get, same with Marth.

I wonder if these will be worth good money later on. That's why I wont open them.

The guy at the flea market was selling the villager for 30 bucks , the fir trainer for 25 ....... also the controller adapter for 80 bucks.

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

I'm keeping mine in the boxes. I only have 3 so far, but it seems the villager is hard to get, same with Marth.

I wonder if these will be worth good money later on. That's why I wont open them.

The guy at the flea market was selling the villager for 30 bucks , the fir trainer for 25 ....... also the controller adapter for 80 bucks.

People thought the same with Beanie babies. Now they are worthless. This is short term demand. When everyone saying marth is hard to get. I got him for $12 off amazon. GC controller adapter will be restocked.  People are stupid short term. Don't bet on this being a long term thing.

Edited by Ryudo, 23 November 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#7 Law212

Law212

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

That's what I figured about the adapter especially. Though I like to take advantage of situations like this when I can. So if I could sell my villager for double or more what I paid for it , I will, then pick up another when they come out again.

I think Nintendo would rather sell as many as they could, instead of having a short supply.

Personally, I think the figures, look great and I like collecting things like that if its a game I really like.

Cant wait to try smash online tonight. I say this all the time, but Wii U has the best exclusives, and since I have  PC there is really no reason to own a PS4 or XBONE but lots of reasons to own a Wii U.

PC/Wii U greatest gaming setup ever.

#8 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

I'll get them on sale. Plus I'll get a display case to house them in.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#9 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

I don't really have any interest in buying them and it annoys me that they'll have exclusive DLC.

#10 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

Well, your not really a hardcore collector unless you buy one to save, one to use, and one to show off, right?   :P

But anyways, I can't be bothered to care about proper collecting.  Even if I get one of those super amazing double arm cannon Samus amiibo, I'll probably just rip the box open and shove it on my shelf.

Edit:  Or I will make a video of myself slowly mangling the box and drawing on the amiibo and post it on youtube to torture people.

Edited by Rasvita, 23 November 2014 - 05:15 PM.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Amiibo, super smash bros

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!