Photo

What do you want (or expect) the next home console to be?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

If they can make all of their games on the Wii U and on their next console simultaneously kind of like how we are seeing something similar with Xbox 360/Xbox One and PS3/PS4 games. I'd rather just stick with my Wii U. If Mario gets any better graphics than this it's just going to look weird. 

rgz6sg.jpg

Edited by EvilMoogle, 07 January 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#62 mav2k

mav2k

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

Here is what I would like to see in Nintendo's next console.  It doesn't have to try and be significantly more powerful than a PS4 or XBOXONE in my opinion, if they were to release a new console with specs very similar to the PS4 this would enable Nintendo to compete graphically and at 1080p but more importantly should help bring 3rd party developers back to Nintendo which they really need to make it successful.

I would opt for an AMD Custom 8 core CPU running @ 1.8ghz, AMD GPU capable of 2 teraflops and 8gb DDR3 memory to help keep costs down.

If Nintendo went this route, it would also make it easier for developers to code and port to as all the consoles would share the same hardware design, at the end of the day its not really the hardware that makes the console great or not, its the games made for it, and Nintendo have a head start on everyone in that department with a HUGE back catalogue and amazing IPs.

If possible I would keep it backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U games through emulation, again to keep costs down, and would use a Blu-ray optical drive and 500gb internal HDD.

Finally I would definately keep the Wii U gamepad but refine it slightly, making it slimmer, lighter and with a higher resolution screen.

:)

#63 thunderspider

thunderspider

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

Here is what I would like to see in Nintendo's next console.  It doesn't have to try and be significantly more powerful than a PS4 or XBOXONE in my opinion, if they were to release a new console with specs very similar to the PS4 this would enable Nintendo to compete graphically and at 1080p but more importantly should help bring 3rd party developers back to Nintendo which they really need to make it successful.

I would opt for an AMD Custom 8 core CPU running @ 1.8ghz, AMD GPU capable of 2 teraflops and 8gb DDR3 memory to help keep costs down.

If Nintendo went this route, it would also make it easier for developers to code and port to as all the consoles would share the same hardware design, at the end of the day its not really the hardware that makes the console great or not, its the games made for it, and Nintendo have a head start on everyone in that department with a HUGE back catalogue and amazing IPs.

If possible I would keep it backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U games through emulation, again to keep costs down, and would use a Blu-ray optical drive and 500gb internal HDD.

Finally I would definately keep the Wii U gamepad but refine it slightly, making it slimmer, lighter and with a higher resolution screen.

:)

But if they choose to put a huge difference for ps4 to ps5? like ps2 to ps3.. it will be like wii all over again

#64 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

But if they choose to put a huge difference for ps4 to ps5? like ps2 to ps3.. it will be like wii all over again

if

grab2.jpg

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#65 thunderspider

thunderspider

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

So you prefer they have luck with Sony and M$ do a small leap again than be more secure and prevent to be so distant?

#66 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

Whatever it is they have my support. After the quality from Wii U games and the crappy we dont GAF attitude from most third parties I will cotinue my lifelong support of Nintendo and their gaming products.

#67 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:29 AM

Nintendo should play hardball with the next console.

Sony and ms don't do the hardware themselves they all work with partners. Just like Nintendo does.

Nintendo should beat them at their own game: build hardware that trumps them, woo third parties back, cut deals for some big and even game changing exclusives. And also don't forget who they are. Keep crafting the best gaming software on the planet. Only with higher production values afforded by the amped up hardware. No, not all the games have to be crazy graphically. But metroid and Zelda can definitely go for "better than uncharted 4" territory. And they'd sell. Kirby and the like can be built much cheaper.

And controls. No need to reinvent the freaking wheel every time. By now we know what works, what we like, and what we prefer. Just built a solid control system and don't have to dream up some completely new thing. I rather like a controller with buttons.

The main thing is the hardware. Give it some serious, serious POWER. Kick sonys butt from here to Kyoto and back. And then brag about it.

And with the software, make it somewhat mature and neutral. The wii u is freakishy jarring going from batman or splinter cell to the wii u menu or eshop. It quite literally LOOKS, SOUNDS, and functions like it was built for children only.

Sure have some elements for kids. But make it primarily neutral do your content can define it.

And have a freaking centralized online system where profiles are mobile. And have systemwide and gamewide voice and even video chat.

An app ecosystem that rivals or beats ms wouldn't hurt things.

Stop being satisfied with being number 3 and tear the reigns back from their beaten carcasses.

If Sony comes out with a certain gpu, make certain yours is better. More or faster ram. Faster cpu. Better architectural optimization, etc.

Nintendo can quite literally be the only console we need. But it's like they don't helieve in themselves. So they've bern happy to be the Mario console.

With respect, I think they did get aggressive ith wii u, but to a certain degree swung and missed on hardware, missed on making good use of an innovative controller, and executed not do well on an ambitious software/online/social/system setup.

This is what they should have worked on for the original wii.

But here they are. And now they'll be able to refine and grow.

Hopefully iwata sees the Wii was a one time wonder that came along at a perfect market shift bother time is gone.

And people want their console to be powerful. They expect feature packed online. Social. Apps. These are just a given.

Make sure these expected points are done. THEN work on differentiation. Don't simoly leave something out and call it "different."

This time be honest when u say you're kicking butt and taking names. And put out a machine that does exactly that.

And don't be afraid to make a console that sells for $400 or even more

Because it's worth it darn you!

Edited by Socalmuscle, 01 February 2015 - 03:31 AM.

#68 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

Yeah, Nintendo tried that with the GameCube. Fancy hardware wont fix the stigma set by Sega's marketing. But outlasting the competition will. Xbox will be around for a while (but will be more of a Windows HTPC then the Xbox we know), but I don't know about Playstation. Their cellphone division is looking for a buyer, and their computers are hit or miss in popularity. I'm sure they will still be around, but I don't know.

But one thing's for sure, Nintendo is entrenched. It's userbase recognizes them for quality and they have major financial reserves. If a recession financial recalibration happens (which may or may not happen, consider politics that use brinkmanship is a key barganing tool and a mess of control) the major third party publishers will take a lethal hit (no one is going to buy EA's games in quantities vast enough to maintain their brainwashing advertisements), leaving Nintendo as the console with the most and best games.

Makes about as much sense as Nintendo risking their long-term exsistance by joining Microsoft and Sony's race to one-up the other.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#69 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

MS is moving away from consoles. Sony may move as well at least more of a service machine. MS will go more a Xbox brand in their devices and secure rights and again force developers into their flawed API Direct X. Graphics are the gimmick that is hampering gaming. Improvment sure but being the focus is so dumb. The most next gen this SNES had was not it's visuals even tho they were a huge leap. It was the sound chip. Able to produce full songs sang vocally like in Tales in Phantasia without a CD. Hardware improves but you need to improve the experience. Wii U is the most "hardball" console they ever made and it's more so than PS4 or XBO. No it does't equal them in raw power but it gives developers to pull more out of it over time and nice API tools to work with. Sony always goes Open GL so that is nice. PS3 in the long term was right with PS3 blu ray. PS4 and XBO are so lazy it's unreal.

PSP was a more thought out system than DS hardware wise. In fact DS was never meant to be a 3D machine but a two screen GBA. Dev kits were GBA hardware with two screens and a SNES Pad early one before the blue box. DS offered something different however despite it's rushed state. Nintendo got away with that one.

PS4 and XBO are more popular.  Wii U is better all around from how it was designed to the quality we get. May as well be the Neo Geo Color of consoles in that regard. Wii U really reminds me of TurboGrafx16 in that didn't have all the muslce of the other 2 but still had a lot of quality to offer but fell way behind.

Nintendo should not go the all power route as it's a dumb one to go. It causes more rushed products to market. Lazier publishers. Sure there is quantity maybe unless they hate Nintendo they don't care about power in Nintendo they just don't want to because Nintendo. Nintendo will hopefully do what's right for them and the fans and the industry. Beefing up a console at this point in gaming can only see marginal improvments oh sure be shinier visuals but everything else is diminishing returns. It's also a stale stuck in the 90's way of doing things. Better hardware yes but gaming needs to evolve and Nintendo feels they have to evolve it. They often succeed at it. Sometimes fail. It happens. It's better than reactionary touchpads on controllers and just more of the same.

#70 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

Truly, I don't know what to expect from Nintendo, but I honestly think they might delve into virtual reality, it has always seemed like something Nintendo would do.  I also think that they will release a system that will cater to Nintendo fans more, due to the hardcore nintendo fans being the only ones who have seemed to buy wii u's, as opposed to the targeted "casual" gamers.  I'm not hoping for something that competes with PC's, but rather something that lets me experience my favorite nintendo games in a new way, something Nintendo has always done well with.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#71 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

A custom CPU with 6-8 dual threaded cores running around 2ghz.
A semi custom GPU maybe 50% more powerful than PS4's.
6GB gddr4 or gddr5 ram specifically for GPU, 128mb edram and 2gb ddr3 for OS.

#72 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:03 PM

Been thinking about this the past couple of days. I think Nintendo should stick with what the Wii U is and improve upon it. We were promised 2 gamepad support which I now doubt is going to happen. They should improved gamepad resolution, battery life, and the range and stick with that because off-tv is something I can not let go of. as far as specs I wont go too much into them. Hopefully their next console can run any game and any engine that the competition can run with a ease of development factor also. I would hope all three next-gen console can deliver the great graphics across the board 1080p and 60fps. I would hope all three next-gen console are more in parity as far as power so we can stop "some" of these publishers and developers from making excuses.

#73 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

why are so many people saying 6-8 x86 amd core. The only reason to even consider x86 is because its familiar, not because its good.  Its used now to make most pc's compatible with eachother, when your making something specialized, like a console, you can use a architecture much better suited for games. 

as for 6-8 core, This was, and still is, a terrible idea for consoles, which are meant to focus on 1 application, and a few OS background tasks. You are better off with 1 core thats as strong as 4 or even 3 of those cores. trying to get 1 application(game) to effectively use 6+ cores has proven itself a very error prone and unnecessary difficult process. I wouldn't be surprised if so many current gen games are so glitchy because devs tried to make use of the cores, combined with the already short deadlines. Most games now would not run off 1-2 of the amd cores they are using now.

#74 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

I still can't figure out for the life of me Why Microsoft and sony went with x86..

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#75 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

I still can't figure out for the life of me Why Microsoft and sony went with x86..

Because EA demanded it.

#76 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

Because EA demanded it.

I am sure more than just EA but look at the current third party output. They wanted to try and make game development faster. Either way sony and Microsoft has support from third parties. Not saying nintendo would have the same level of support but I am sure they would have more.

#77 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, Nintendo tried that with the GameCube. Fancy hardware wont fix the stigma set by Sega's marketing. But outlasting the competition will. Xbox will be around for a while (but will be more of a Windows HTPC then the Xbox we know), but I don't know about Playstation. Their cellphone division is looking for a buyer, and their computers are hit or miss in popularity. I'm sure they will still be around, but I don't know.

But one thing's for sure, Nintendo is entrenched. It's userbase recognizes them for quality and they have major financial reserves. If a recession financial recalibration happens (which may or may not happen, consider politics that use brinkmanship is a key barganing tool and a mess of control) the major third party publishers will take a lethal hit (no one is going to buy EA's games in quantities vast enough to maintain their brainwashing advertisements), leaving Nintendo as the console with the most and best games.

Makes about as much sense as Nintendo risking their long-term exsistance by joining Microsoft and Sony's race to one-up the other.

Lol.

Blaming the GameCube selling so few units on awesome hardware is ridiculous.

It was purple, looked like s kids lunchbox, had a stupid name, and didn't play DVDs (actually quite the big deal at the time) when both its competitors did.

In short, it looked, sounded, and performed like s child's toy. M
Did it have superior hardware? Yes. But no one cares when it looked and sounded like a Leapster on steroids.

The original NES was marketed above what it was and the gimmicks were actually quite clever. The idea of a family computer for games was great. And the Super NES built upon that premise outpouring the Genesis and holding hardware secrets that Nintendo didn't unlock until they felt they needed something extra.

The n64 was heavily anticipated and was poised to destroy play station... Until Nintendo chose to use archaic and limited cartridges instead of cheap CDs with much more capacity. This reason alone is why ff7 did not come to the n64.

Boneheaded decisions like those are what scared third parties away to the point where the wii was nearly all Nintendo.

Nintendo does need to play the big boy power game and cobtinue the trend they've restarted with wii u by upping their social, app ecosystem, and tech game.

Both ps4 and d- play blu Ray also. But it doesn't hurt so much in this digital download age as it did when the GCN couldn't play dvd and you couldn't listen to CDs on your n64.

Two things that Nintendo basically GAVE AWAY TO THEIR COMPETITORS:

1) system power (though the wii u is no slouch). The Wii just didn't even try. At all. The Wii u is a very capable, very well designed system. But Nintendo wasn't out to impress anyone. Yet the cold harsh reality is that we live in an era where people really do need to be impressed if you're going to sell to them (flappy bird game notwithstanding).

2) online. The Xbox 360 had really done a good job here, playstation at least tried, and the Wii just forfeit. The Wii u showcases the beginning of an online foundation. Complete with major growing pains (party chat and freind finding/making systems,I'm looking at you).

So if Nintendo continues their laser focus when it comes to complete, high quality, compelling games, but actually offers truly impressive hardware, with a cool system name (come on now. Wii? Wii U? Game cube? What the creaking heck) and killer online, that does what everyone wants a multitasking system to do, Nintendo actually has a shot at shutting down ms and sonys next systems.

Not only will we have amazing looking Nintendo games, but third party hits as well. And heck, if Nintendo wanted to get ballsy and secure a major third party IP or two or three for its console, then we are talking big big things in the future.

But all that means jack squat if the system isn't genuinely impressively spec'd.

And msking s truly powerful system won't risk their long term existence, it will ensure it.

The more they pii away money on underpowered systems and silly gimmicks that sound cool at the office, but result in catastrophic losses, the closer they get to having to do something else.

With a master plan that starts out with incredible hardware, then incredible software that runs on it, and wooing back third parties, striking deals for IP exclusivity on hit games, solidifying the online systems, and marketing the thing aggressively because they CAN, knowing the system backs up the marketing, they can very much usher in a new SNES era.

But the foundation of the entire thing is the hardware. Get it right and the options are limitless. Get it wrong and no one wants to play COD On your console when it looks twice as good on the other guys'

Edited by Socalmuscle, 14 February 2015 - 12:57 AM.

#78 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:55 AM

Lol.

Blaming the GameCube selling so few units on awesome hardware is ridiculous.

It was purple, looked like s kids lunchbox, had a stupid name, and didn't play DVDs (actually quite the big deal at the time) when both its competitors did.

In short, it looked, sounded, and performed like s child's toy. M
Did it have superior hardware? Yes. But no one cares when it looked and sounded like a Leapster on steroids.

The original NES was marketed above what it was and the gimmicks were actually quite clever. The idea of a family computer for games was great. And the Super NES built upon that premise outpouring the Genesis and holding hardware secrets that Nintendo didn't unlock until they felt they needed something extra.

The n64 was heavily anticipated and was poised to destroy play station... Until Nintendo chose to use archaic and limited cartridges instead of cheap CDs with much more capacity. This reason alone is why ff7 did not come to the n64.

Boneheaded decisions like those are what scared third parties away to the point where the wii was nearly all Nintendo.

Nintendo does need to play the big boy power game and cobtinue the trend they've restarted with wii u by upping their social, app ecosystem, and tech game.

Both ps4 and d- play blu Ray also. But it doesn't hurt so much in this digital download age as it did when the GCN couldn't play dvd and you couldn't listen to CDs on your n64.

Two things that Nintendo basically GAVE AWAY TO THEIR COMPETITORS:

1) system power (though the wii u is no slouch). The Wii just didn't even try. At all. The Wii u is a very capable, very well designed system. But Nintendo wasn't out to impress anyone. Yet the cold harsh reality is that we live in an era where people really do need to be impressed if you're going to sell to them (flappy bird game notwithstanding).

2) online. The Xbox 360 had really done a good job here, playstation at least tried, and the Wii just forfeit. The Wii u showcases the beginning of an online foundation. Complete with major growing pains (party chat and freind finding/making systems,I'm looking at you).

So if Nintendo continues their laser focus when it comes to complete, high quality, compelling games, but actually offers truly impressive hardware, with a cool system name (come on now. Wii? Wii U? Game cube? What the creaking heck) and killer online, that does what everyone wants a multitasking system to do, Nintendo actually has a shot at shutting down ms and sonys next systems.

Not only will we have amazing looking Nintendo games, but third party hits as well. And heck, if Nintendo wanted to get ballsy and secure a major third party IP or two or three for its console, then we are talking big big things in the future.

But all that means jack squat if the system isn't genuinely impressively spec'd.

And msking s truly powerful system won't risk their long term existence, it will ensure it.

The more they pii away money on underpowered systems and silly gimmicks that sound cool at the office, but result in catastrophic losses, the closer they get to having to do something else.

With a master plan that starts out with incredible hardware, then incredible software that runs on it, and wooing back third parties, striking deals for IP exclusivity on hit games, solidifying the online systems, and marketing the thing aggressively because they CAN, knowing the system backs up the marketing, they can very much usher in a new SNES era.

But the foundation of the entire thing is the hardware. Get it right and the options are limitless. Get it wrong and no one wants to play COD On your console when it looks twice as good on the other guys'

said some true things there but you know U done F up right... HA! serious question will Nintendo games support third parties? I mean I see some games returning maybe sports games but no matter the power they don't see enough sales on Nintendo hardware to make games for it.

#79 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:35 AM

said some true things there but you know U done F up right... HA! serious question will Nintendo games support third parties? I mean I see some games returning maybe sports games but no matter the power they don't see enough sales on Nintendo hardware to make games for it.

They will if the nintendo system is the definitive console (ie: the one that the game I'm making will perform best on and attract the most gamers). I remember the n64 days. And before the release, it was being called ultra 64. And had arcade games based off of it that looked INSANE at the time. Everyone was waiting for this thing and Nintendo was poised to put playstation back in its place. Then... Cartridges. The entire world thought what the crap is this? And just that fast, nintendo lost a lot of third party support. Notably square soft, which was unable to fit a graphically ambitious (well...fmv heavy) game onto a cartridge or even multiple cartridges as Nintendos cartridge cost was way too high compared to CD AND THE STORAGE SPACE WAS A JOKE. here was this superior hardware gimped by crappy cartridges.

The thing currently is if you had a cod, tomb raider, madden, etc, it's simply going to look noticeably better on ps4.

So of course most people want to play the ps4 version. And playing COD on a sleek black console with a cool looking controller and neat colored lights with a sleek UI is a whole lot better experience for most people than pressing the power button on a purple lunch box... With a handle... In today's console landscape, the X11 and ps4 play it smart with their UI. BOTH LOOK SMART, NEUTRAL, COOL, AND SLEEK.. modern. Meanwhile, the wii u interface looks cobbled together for 4 year olds. And the system sounds...no.

Switch it up with a nintendo console that outpowers Sony, doesn't look or sound like a skittle threw up, has robust online and tools devs can easily make use of, and you have the makings of a third party love affair.

Nintendo CAN do it. And I think their stated mission to get hardcore gamers back with wii u has been sincere. But they've learned some hard lessons here. Can't wait to see those lessons applied to the next system.

Until then, I'll be quite content with X, Zelda, and hopefully a Metroid. But I have a feeling X is going to sap a looong time out of my life. Lol.

#80 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:45 AM

They will if the nintendo system is the definitive console (ie: the one that the game I'm making will perform best on and attract the most gamers). I remember the n64 days. And before the release, it was being called ultra 64. And had arcade games based off of it that looked INSANE at the time. Everyone was waiting for this thing and Nintendo was poised to put playstation back in its place. Then... Cartridges. The entire world thought what the crap is this? And just that fast, nintendo lost a lot of third party support. Notably square soft, which was unable to fit a graphically ambitious (well...fmv heavy) game onto a cartridge or even multiple cartridges as Nintendos cartridge cost was way too high compared to CD AND THE STORAGE SPACE WAS A JOKE. here was this superior hardware gimped by crappy cartridges.

The thing currently is if you had a cod, tomb raider, madden, etc, it's simply going to look noticeably better on ps4.

So of course most people want to play the ps4 version. And playing COD on a sleek black console with a cool looking controller and neat colored lights with a sleek UI is a whole lot better experience for most people than pressing the power button on a purple lunch box... With a handle... In today's console landscape, the X11 and ps4 play it smart with their UI. BOTH LOOK SMART, NEUTRAL, COOL, AND SLEEK.. modern. Meanwhile, the wii u interface looks cobbled together for 4 year olds. And the system sounds...no.

Switch it up with a nintendo console that outpowers Sony, doesn't look or sound like a skittle threw up, has robust online and tools devs can easily make use of, and you have the makings of a third party love affair.

Nintendo CAN do it. And I think their stated mission to get hardcore gamers back with wii u has been sincere. But they've learned some hard lessons here. Can't wait to see those lessons applied to the next system.

Until then, I'll be quite content with X, Zelda, and hopefully a Metroid. But I have a feeling X is going to sap a looong time out of my life. Lol.

yeah next console will be something to behold.... like man things cant get worse than what they have been for Wii U... right? I mean with all the quality games and the positives of the system man it is going to at this point looks like sell less than the gamecube. crazy I never would have thought this bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!