Photo

What do you want (or expect) the next home console to be?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

I still can't figure out for the life of me Why Microsoft and sony went with x86..

To close the difference with the PC gaming, which has had a massive explosion of popularity?

#82 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

To close the difference with the PC gaming, which has had a massive explosion of popularity?

And then EA and the like throttle down the PC version so that the console versions are "Competitive"

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#83 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:47 PM

And then EA and the like throttle down the PC version so that the console versions are "Competitive"

Ha, I've got a mediocre gaming PC. I'm happily unaffected. Although some incidents like Dark Souls PC port are just ridiculous. 

Edited by MarcusT, 17 February 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#84 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

After the Wii U not selling all that well, I feel like Nintendo's gonna try and go back to the basics with their next system. It won't have any stand out gimmicks/features like the gamepad, and they'll focus more on the consoles power and possibly make it on par with the PS5/NeXtbox. Whether that will improve 3rd party support remains to be seen.

#85 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

After the Wii U not selling all that well, I feel like Nintendo's gonna try and go back to the basics with their next system. It won't have any stand out gimmicks/features like the gamepad, and they'll focus more on the consoles power and possibly make it on par with the PS5/NeXtbox. Whether that will improve 3rd party support remains to be seen.

I personally hope they keep the gamepad and just improve it. hd 720p screen, better range of use, and battery life. but yes power the console on par with the other at least run all the current engines just fine.  

#86 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Honestly I think one of the primary focuses has to be the price point, followed by the gimmick that makes it approachable to non-gamers. The Wii was successful as everyone considered it to be a secondary console and so bought one alongside their PS3 or Xbox 360.

Nintendo consoles are still the only consoles where you can play Nintendo games, so Nintendo needs to heavily market their back catalog of games going back to the NES.

Interesting.

But the market changes constantly.

It's no longer an era favorable to the Wii strategy.

Example: how are price point and gimmick hping the Wii U in any way?

This is an age where children as well as adults have $600 cell phones and $500 tablets. Expendable devices.

Also of interest in terms of direct correlation to the impact on games consoles:

The biggest seller by far in this console race? Playstation.

And it didn't need to be the least expensive, nor did it rely on gimmicks. A simple traditional controller.

Does it offer gimmicks? Yes. And that just makes it feel like a value add for those who want it.

But the core system. The only one you can buy actually, is just as traditional as you can get.

The standout feature? Lots of power compared to its competitors.

The Wii era lasted a decade. It's done. That strategy will not work again for another 20 years or so.

You can't leave specs out anymore. They matter and even 2 year olds get it.

From now on people will always be more educated on what makes a foundation for a great system with potential. If they see that potential doesn't reasonably exist, they won't bother.

Take the Wii u. A capable machine. Not outstanding, but good. Then look at x. And see how much careful crafting can impact the performance of a good foundation.

Now imagine X or Zelda on a wii u that matches the ps4 in power. That would be so compelling it would be ridiculous.

And that's what the majority would sink their dollars and time into.

#87 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

I'm taking a wild stab that it will be BOTH the console and handheld as ONE.

you would have a main console connected to the TV, which can be used by itself with pro controllers and the like

you will have a handheld - which will be a cross between a 3DS and the Wii U Gamepad) - which hooks up to the console as a controller.

The handhelds can be used independently with it's own games, or be hooked up to the console to use as a gamepad. The console will offload work (such as rendering) to the handhelds so that it can scale to multiplayer better.

Hopefully gamesaves from multidevice games (such as VC library) are synced.

For this to work, the handheld would have to be a compromise between the 3DS and the Gamepad. It needs both the Gamepad's resolution and the 3DS's second screen to function, so you need to put a bigger screen into a handheld without sacrificing portability too much. This might necessitate the offering of different sizes (from 3DS XL to PS Vita to Gamepad size) which may be a bit too complicated

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#88 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

I'll say this once and I'll say it quickly

Fusion DS: Next Generation AMD mobile APU containing GPU capable of 1.5TFLOPS of calculations
8 core 1.5 Ghz next gen AMD mobile CPU
10GB of mobile RAM 2GB for OS
Wifi and 4G sim capabilities (network free)
64GBhigh speed cartridge for games
32GB SD card
Charging dock contains HDMI out, and 4 USB 3.0 ports when charging Fusion DS capable of playing games on TV
Uses Wii U gamepad as a controller when being played on TV compatible with Pro Controller

Fusion DS Pro: Contains the above and New 3DS guts alongside Wii U guts to make it 3ds digital download compatible. Scheme in place for those who own physical copies registered with Nintendo to get discounted digital copies of Wii U and 3DS games

Oh and a 128GB microSD card

Edited by Penguin101, 18 March 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#89 elvisbeck

elvisbeck

Blooper

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • NNID:elvisdavebeck
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

I too would like backwards compatibility. That way, Nintendo could stay ahead of the others, since the others don't even have that. I'd also like voice colmmands, something that the PS4 has.
Hi, I'm Dave. If you wish to add me to your Wii U Friend List, my NNID is elvisdavebeck. Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.YouTube.com/user/elvisbeck., where I play Nintendo games and more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!