Photo

Describe why you love your choice of Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft/etc.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

I decided that I like Nintendo the best these days. Although I've had fun playing the cinematics and occasional button-pressing charades masquerading as games, and the occasional great Sony/Microsoft system game as well... I feel like almost every Nintendo-published game has a small nugget of life wisdom hidden in the game. Whether it's that you have to eat your mushrooms to grow big or more philosophical things like, sometimes a friend and his wisecracks are all that's getting you by, so you should enjoy it (Golden Sun). And another thing is that they're often not too overly fast-paced, not being clogged by things like Final Fantasy XIII's confusing and never ending story, to notice nuggets of wisdom. I feel like it's time I grew up and played Nintendo games... no offense.

Let's try not to debate other's choices TOO MUCH in this thread or it might start to become a flame war.

#2 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

I prefer Nintendo exclusives above all others.

The games I want to play that don't come out on Nintendo consoles usually come out on PC, so I never really feel like I'm missing out on anything significant.

Edited by Tom, 16 December 2014 - 05:45 PM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

Eh I just get them all at some point because a lot of great games. Just at this moment Nintendo is doing a lot of great things with Wii U. Esp games like XCX. PS3 was my fave system of the 3 last gen. Wii U currently is but could change in the future. Still believe quality wise in games and system the best one they made second to SNES.

#4 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

I don't really care much for fps games...or multiplayer for that matter so I stick with nintendo because they always have fun single player experiences that I can enjoy. Then I have my pc for everything else that the other 2 consoles get

(I'm not saying what ms/sony has is bad, but there isnt enough for me to buy their console because the types of games on their platform I like feel few and far between)

wa3Nq7j.png

#5 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

Simply put, as I've said before, Nintendo right now is the most focused on creating fun, complete gaming experiences, and are doing the best job of it.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#6 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

Because you can always count on Nintendo to released a finished, quality game. 

bb0.gif

#7 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

Nintendo =QUALITY... that is just a fact. I also love that they come a little different then their competition each time around. They know who they are and do what they think is best for better or worse.

#8 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

I had a gigantic post, but fricking Firefox on Android decided to crash.

I'm actually one of the few people who couldn't care for a lot of Nintendo's output in 2014. Maybe it's just that I wasn't able to play them all, but none of the games really raised my interest minus a few. However, what I can say is that nearly every thing I've heard, read, and watched has said these games are great, even fantastic. And I think that says a lot about Nintendo as a Company. In a year where 1st and3rd parties have been screwing up and Nintendo's destiny has been set as worst selling console, They've seemingly taken up the mantle of "We might lose this generation sales wise, but we are going to give it our all software wise." I can respect it. However, there are some points I'd like to bring up to counter Nintendo's overwhelming praise:

There is absolutely no reason why NES games cost $5 on the eShop as the set price. Some of those I can agree with, but others are absurd in terms of Pricing.

Speaking of Pricing, there is no reason for eShop games to cost the same as retail. I'm not saying make it massively cheaper, but it's absurd that digital goods cost the same as physical, when there is less cost as a whole for the digital game. Knock 10% off or something.

Thirdly, The DDP is a fantastic idea, but it's limited on the Wii U. Ideally, they'd keep it around as a service, maybe tie it into Club Nintendo somehow. Speaking of CN, Fix that crap. We're doing surveys for you with valuable data, It would be nice to have something actually useful as an option

Nintendo's games, regardless of how fantastic, seem to be lacking in some categories. In no order, I'd like to see Nintendo do the following: A MOBA/ARTS built around the Amiibos. Amiibos are one way to unlock characters, and it would be a really fun, clever way to encourage Amiibos on top of Smash usage. Make it F#P with ways to earn Champions. I'd like to see Nintendo make a more, for lack of a better term, Japanese Western RPG. Open world, character customization, open ended gameplay, etc. I'd certainly like to see Nintendo try that, as there is some things about the big ones that I think could be tweaked.

My final note, on a more jesting note, "Give US MOTHER 3!"

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#9 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

I agree with Doctor Strange on the digital retail games being too expensive. But did you see NES Remix Wii U? Great deal!

#10 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:40 PM

Nintendo games are fun as and others are like a mediocre movie, only helped slightly by being able to control them.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:40 PM

If Nintendo goes into Moba then I wish they die and they will deserve to sink. DOTA garbage Micro transaction piles of excrement. Skylanders/Disney infinity is a pile of trash who's sole purpose is cheap cash grabs. Amiibo's actually did it right. Optional and they are selling like wildfire. Shows you can do something right and still sell.

Fee to Pay is the worst thing to happen to gaming since the practices that lead to the crash of 83.

Overall they are fine as is. They just need more of what they do great. Bring more exclusives. Imagine the news when we get Dead or Alive 6 only on Wii U. That would be amazing. Bring Fatal Frame West. Region free. small details to make the experience better of what they already do. Just expand on it. Now Nintendo has released some Eshop games in retail. Now they can do what Sony does. Release some indie games at retail. Teslegrad is a nice place to start. Do a combo pack. It takes up more estate on a shelf at Walmart and Gamestop and looks better. Curb appeal is what that is. Team up with more companies like Atlus or other devs and make some crazy crossovers. Do more garage games like Splatoon. They don't need to stoop to low cheap cash in levels. They can take a cash in level project like skylanders but make it right like amiibo. A MOBA only purpose is to keep you buying and that amiibo idea is just skylanders. No.

Save more doomed games like Bayonetta 2 and Devils Third. Get ni-Oh. Get The Last Story II. The other thing Nintendo is best at is playing on nostalgia with Mario and Zelda. Why not do that with 3rd parties. Get an exclusive new Mega Man at Retail. We got Sonic. Get some more classic styled Castlevania. Make a deal for Phantasy Star Online for Wii U. That would be massive and a bigger shock than Bayonetta 2 is PSO2 coming west for only Wii U. Nintendo has been great at what they already do. Just expand it.

Expand appeal. Give more curb appeal on big nox store shelves. Throw some curve balls like you did with Bayonetta 2 and DT. They don't need to change it just expand on it.

#12 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:58 PM

What Ryudo? All of Dota's Heroes are free, so it's not exactly fee to play. And you can make a good MOBA that isn't heavily based around Microtransactions. Hell, the one game that Nintendo DOES that has  Micro Transactions is Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, and that game is incredibly generous. Make it like SMASH maybe, where you unlock the characters through gameplay OR you can use an Amiibo to unlock them. It's not evil for pete's sake. It would be a way to encourage people to keep their Amiibos/It would be a fun idea.

Heck, they could do it like HoTS, where you can level up a character to unlock their skins through gameplay. The game starts you off with 5 heroes permanently unlocked, you unlock the rest through Gameplay OR Amiibos. It's not an evil idea, it's one that fits in incredibly well with the current Amiibo Push AND could act as a way to Diversify the Wii U's library.

Otherwise, I agree. Mega Man is the IP I wish Nintendo would buy from Crapcom because he fits into SMASH/Nintendo's overall theme a lot better then others. Co-Finance a NEW! Mega Man game, maybe from the NSMBU Team?

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

#13 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:42 PM

Nintendo has weird Japanese characters that we all love :D

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#14 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

Nintendo because they're hands-down the BEST at making fun, great-looking games with amazing gameplay and music. They have the only games I like to play.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#15 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

I'd go into a rant of why I don't think Nintendo is as good as people are saying, but that would both make people hate me and isn't the point of this thread.

Instead, I'll say that Valve is my favorite big name in game production. Their business practices, high quality games, and, of course, Steam, makes them the best game company in my opinion.

I don't even...

#16 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:30 PM

I'd go into a rant of why I don't think Nintendo is as good as people are saying, but that would both make people hate me and isn't the point of this thread.

Instead, I'll say that Valve is my favorite big name in game production. Their business practices, high quality games, and, of course, Steam, makes them the best game company in my opinion.

Fair enough, though I'd rather they make more games, as their  output isn't exactly fantastic in numberwise. Then again, 2 of their games keep getting massive updates, but I'd like to see more new games.

Also, Greenlight is crap. That's my biggest issue with Steam ATM. Otherwise, Steam is Fantastic as a service.

Nintendo games are fun as and others are like a mediocre movie, only helped slightly by being able to control them.

What.jpeg

No, just..no. That's just wrong on so many levels. I don't even know where to start. Legend of Grimrock, Papers Please, Infamous, LBP, Just Cause, Hearthstone, Warcraft, Starcraft, Portal 2, Half Life 2, Every Atlus Game, Mega Man, Castlevania, Fallout, Dragon Quest, etc.

How can you be this wrong? That's a massively wrong assumption about every game that isn't a Nintendo game.

In fact, using your logic, All Nintendo Games are Platformers, because that's basically what you're saying when inverted towards Nintendo. Please, tell me where I'm wrong and you're right, as Obviously Nintendo is this great output of diversity where as the rest of the gaming Industry is just this glutton of sameness, despite working on a multitude of platforms, having a wide variety of backgrounds, and having a large range of game design ideas.

Edited by Shovel Knight, 16 December 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#17 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:46 PM

Fair enough, though I'd rather they make more games, as their  output isn't exactly fantastic in numberwise. Then again, 2 of their games keep getting massive updates, but I'd like to see more new games.

Also, Greenlight is crap. That's my biggest issue with Steam ATM. Otherwise, Steam is Fantastic as a service.

I agree that they could use another game, but they definitely make up for it by keeping their games running and active for so long. I also agree that greenlight, for the most part, isn't great. However, on the bright side, it did allow through some excellent games, that I know at least one of which probably wouldn't have got on otherwise.

I don't even...

#18 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:16 PM

What.jpeg

No, just..no. That's just wrong on so many levels. I don't even know where to start. Legend of Grimrock, Papers Please, Infamous, LBP, Just Cause, Hearthstone, Warcraft, Starcraft, Portal 2, Half Life 2, Every Atlus Game, Mega Man, Castlevania, Fallout, Dragon Quest, etc.

How can you be this wrong? That's a massively wrong assumption about every game that isn't a Nintendo game.

In fact, using your logic, All Nintendo Games are Platformers, because that's basically what you're saying when inverted towards Nintendo. Please, tell me where I'm wrong and you're right, as Obviously Nintendo is this great output of diversity where as the rest of the gaming Industry is just this glutton of sameness, despite working on a multitude of platforms, having a wide variety of backgrounds, and having a large range of game design ideas.

Think he means how a lot of western AAA games go. All Quantum Dream games which are trash. Then have the Quantum Theory thing coming which is a TV show/game. Then like Until Dawn on PS4. Uncharted which is more a game but still trying to be a movie in many ways and it's tiresome. Tho funny how EVERY uncharted since 2 is the exact same concept. Sully told me should not to this. Nate does anyway. Later Sully was right should not have done this. Every Uncharted trailer is Nate waking up saying sully was right and this is the last time. Lol it's so dumb. Then climb climb climb climb something break almost fall climb climb shoot some guys climb climb climb something break almost fall.

Sorry just that series is a parody of itself now. Back to the point a lot of AAA western games like even The Order 1886 trying harder to be movies than games. Just like FMV's did mid 90's.

#19 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

Think he means how a lot of western AAA games go. All Quantum Dream games which are trash. Then have the Quantum Theory thing coming which is a TV show/game. Then like Until Dawn on PS4. Uncharted which is more a game but still trying to be a movie in many ways and it's tiresome. Tho funny how EVERY uncharted since 2 is the exact same concept. Sully told me should not to this. Nate does anyway. Later Sully was right should not have done this. Every Uncharted trailer is Nate waking up saying sully was right and this is the last time. Lol it's so dumb. Then climb climb climb climb something break almost fall climb climb shoot some guys climb climb climb something break almost fall.

Sorry just that series is a parody of itself now. Back to the point a lot of AAA western games like even The Order 1886 trying harder to be movies than games. Just like FMV's did mid 90's.

That still doesn't excuse the phrasing of "other". That's like me saying all :Insert offensive statement here:, then going " well I only meant some of them". Fact is, the statement is crap as it lumps everyone but Nintendo into one Giant boat. We would have Almost Human, who feed drip the story, in the same boat as David Cage. That's just bad phrasing, and to say "Well I meant AAA games" isn't an excuse.

#20 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:47 PM

That still doesn't excuse the phrasing of "other". That's like me saying all :Insert offensive statement here:, then going " well I only meant some of them". Fact is, the statement is crap as it lumps everyone but Nintendo into one Giant boat. We would have Almost Human, who feed drip the story, in the same boat as David Cage. That's just bad phrasing, and to say "Well I meant AAA games" isn't an excuse.

Seems he just made a mistake is all. He just worded it wrong I am assuming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!