29 replies to this topic

#1 Bongbuddy

Bongbuddy

Goomba

• Banned
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

http://www.joystiq.c...amoto-confirms/

What are your thoughts on Nintendo's plans to discontinue the Wii U and develop a new console only after the Wii U has been out for 2 years? I can't say I'm surprised. For the first year the Wii U got nothing and now that it's finally getting games, the new console hype has died down and nobody cares about it anymore.

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

The big three (MS, SONY, NINTENDO) all have done this in the past and will continue to do so as long as they plan to keep creating a hardware platform. 

Hardware design takes considerable time. You can't simply release a console, let it sell in the market for 6 years and then in that 6th year start working on something new. It's common when a new console is released, the company starts looking ahead at what's next.

There was some news back in October of Nintendo searching for a lead graphics architect. http://nintendoevery...xt-gen-console/

Nintendo said themselves, they are not stopping support on the Wii U anytime soon and there is much more potential to discover with it. http://www.nintendow...-says-fils-aime

The next console or console/handheld hybird probably won't be here until 2017 or 2018. This all has been discussed at length on this forum and others pretty much since the Wii U launched.

Oh, btw... I've read all of your posts thus far and I wanted to let you know, thewiiu.com does accept positive posts too.  :rolleyes:

• Chaotix , Tom , Kokirii and 1 other like this
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Welcome to the exact same thing thats been happening since 1972.
  • YoshiGamer9 , Gaymer and Raiden like this

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

Development of a console begins as soon as the new one is launched.

#5 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

It was inevitable. Don't expect a new home console anytime soon though.

#6 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:03 AM

The U should atleast have the same lifespan as the Gamecube did.

#7 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

I was hoping for them to wait until the PS5 and Xboxtwo or whatever to be out first so that they could make their next console more powerful than the competition :)

What if they called it the New NES? XD Or the Ultra NES? :D

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#8 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:33 PM

Iwata already confirmed that early this year - or was it last year?...

Anyway, what strike me as odd was this quote: "While we're busy working on software for the Wii U, we have production lines that are working on ideas for what the next system might be."

I always thought there was only one group to think about the home console system and another to work on the handheld front.
He seems to imply that there are groups working on a single system.

Personally, i think late 2016/1Q of 2017 will be the time a new system arrives.

#9 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

I was hoping for them to wait until the PS5 and Xboxtwo or whatever to be out first so that they could make their next console more powerful than the competition :)

Haha funny idea, but by then the Wii U would be 100% ded. And double standards for Nintendo stuff would mean that people still wouldn't buy it even if it was more powerful.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#10 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

Haha funny idea, but by then the Wii U would be 100% ded. And double standards for Nintendo stuff would mean that people still wouldn't buy it even if it was more powerful.

And why is that? Have you given up hope on Nintendo? The main reasons why the Wii U didn't succeed is because of the name, the marketing, the gamepad, the lack of power, and the price. If Nintendo just increased the power and advertised it better and didn't have the gamepad (And had the pro controller as the main one instead) it would have been as successful if not more than the PS4 and xbox one.

• Hinkik likes this

sfOI1m6.jpg

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:06 PM

Wii U has plenty of power despite what idiots like to spout. As much as PS$/XBO. No. PS2 didn;t have as much as GCN or Xbox. The gap is very small. This is not Wii vs PS360 gap.

• NintendoReport likes this

#12 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:36 AM

Have you given up hope on Nintendo?

They still make great games, but yes, commercially I am unsure if they'll ever be the most popular for reasons other than gimmicks.

bi5tzqg.gif

#13 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

They still make great games, but yes, commercially I am unsure if they'll ever be the most popular for reasons other than gimmicks.

Well Nintendo... they goofed.....

sfOI1m6.jpg

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

Sounds more like a problem with the highly publisher marketing conditioned commercial market than nintendo.

I would rather nintendo continue being 'unsuccessful' making high quality original game experiences that work the day you buy them and the second you insert the disc; Than having them become 'successful' by releasing boring, homogenous, derivitive broken games that dont work until months after release, laser targeted at the lowest common denominator, who will buy anything they are told as long as you spend enough on your advertising budget to convince them diarreah dog crap is better than filet mignon who are then too stupid, and too brainwashed to choose higher quality games over heavier advertised ones, complaining every release about broken unplayable games but always buying the next one they are told too.

The 'popularity' you are talking about is bought through over bearing ad budgets. If Nintendo becomes that, gaming will finally become completely worthless.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

You guys know you are responding to a bait thread, right?

• NintendoReport likes this

#16 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

Sounds more like a problem with the highly publisher marketing conditioned commercial market than nintendo.

I would rather nintendo continue being 'unsuccessful' making high quality original game experiences that work the day you buy them and the second you insert the disc; Than having them become 'successful' by releasing boring, homogenous, derivitive broken games that dont work until months after release, laser targeted at the lowest common denominator, who will buy anything they are told as long as you spend enough on your advertising budget to convince them diarreah dog crap is better than filet mignon who are then too stupid, and too brainwashed to choose higher quality games over heavier advertised ones, complaining every release about broken unplayable games but always buying the next one they are told too.

The 'popularity' you are talking about is bought through over bearing ad budgets. If Nintendo becomes that, gaming will finally become completely worthless.

If a company can only become popular with those business practices way then the industry is already completely worthless. Everything you've said is a good thing about Nintendo, but they have to be doing something wrong to be least popular at the moment.

Legitimate question, would you prefer the next Nintendo console to have third party support, even if it meant games like Unity being sucky?

bi5tzqg.gif

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:43 PM

If a company can only become popular with those business practices way then the industry is already completely worthless. Everything you've said is a good thing about Nintendo, but they have to be doing something wrong to be least popular at the moment.
Legitimate question, would you prefer the next Nintendo console to have third party support, even if it meant games like Unity being sucky?

Its not a matter of 'only can be done this way' This situation has been in the making for over a decade, over a decade of psych marketing conditioning and grooming to create a massive audience of the aaaaa craphouses dreams: the brainless moron. This is the fruits of publisher labor, and though its finally starting to backfire, it still has a stranglehold on the industry.

As long as actual quality based entertainment still exists, the current situation can be rode out (again).

Nope. I dont buy that crap on any other system, I hope it finally dies the pathetic death it deserves, so I dont care if the garbage doesnt release on Nintendos next system.

Back when 95% of gaming didnt suck, no 2 systems had the same games practically AT ALL. Even when games had the same name, from the same third party, they were completely different, designed to take advantage of the specific system they were on.

Multiplats were fairly rare.... And with very few exceptions they ALL SUCKED.

So as you can imagine, I dont have a particularly high opinion of 3rd parties diarea dumping into a shotgun and splattering it onto as many platforms as they can.

So, if it meant having a console with a completely unique line up, of COURSE i will go for it. Even better if that means garbage like unity never taints it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

Its not a matter of 'only can be done this way' This situation has been in the making for over a decade, over a decade of psych marketing conditioning and grooming to create a massive audience of the aaaaa craphouses dreams: the brainless moron. This is the fruits of publisher labor, and though its finally starting to backfire, it still has a stranglehold on the industry.

As long as actual quality based entertainment still exists, the current situation can be rode out (again).

Nope. I dont buy that crap on any other system, I hope it finally dies the pathetic death it deserves, so I dont care if the garbage doesnt release on Nintendos next system.

Back when 95% of gaming didnt suck, no 2 systems had the same games practically AT ALL. Even when games had the same name, from the same third party, they were completely different, designed to take advantage of the specific system they were on.

Multiplats were fairly rare.... And with very few exceptions they ALL SUCKED.

So as you can imagine, I dont have a particularly high opinion of 3rd parties diarea dumping into a shotgun and splattering it onto as many platforms as they can.

So, if it meant having a console with a completely unique line up, of COURSE i will go for it. Even better if that means garbage like unity never taints it.

I like your thinking. I just don't know how Nintendo can get popular again, although I feel they should be popular since they have games with actual entertainment value.

More advertising could certainly help, but gamers these days don't even consider Nintendo as a viable alternative and instead scoff and claim it is kiddy. 

bi5tzqg.gif

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

Ep0nabot, on 22 Dec 2014 - 9:03 PM, said:
I like your thinking. I just don't know how Nintendo can get popular again, although I feel they should be popular since they have games with actual entertainment value.
More advertising could certainly help, but gamers these days don't even consider Nintendo as a viable alternative and instead scoff and claim it is kiddy.

1991. Thats when what you are talking about begin. The moment Sega sealed its doom.

"I don't understand, Why do you want to do it that way?" Sega of Japan president Mr. Nakayama protested. "I don't like it."

Mr. Nakayama was talking to Tom Kalinske, about his pitch to start a psychological marketing campaign directly comparing sega to nintendo. His goal, to 'Make Nintentendo look kiddy'.

"It's your call," he told Kalinske. "That's why I hired you. Do whatever you think is right."

Thus was an ever increasing amount of segas budget diverted from making games and hardware to making ads designed to make kids embarrassed to be seen playing nintendo.

The plan was incredibly successful in the short term. Sega began dominating the NA market with third parties (notably ea) rallying behind the genesis.

In 1994 Kalinske crowed about his ultimate success, a survey stocked with sega products returned with kids overwhelmngly checking boxes stating they were embarrassed to admit to owning nintendo products to their freinds.

The halo effect was established through aggressive marketing 'Nintendo is kiddy'. Using the knowledge of child psychology, and how adolescents are apt to desperately try to be adult, sega positioned their marketing campaign to identify nintendo as part of their child hood they had to 'grow out of'.

Unfortunately for sega, while the negative halo effect stuck for nintendo, no such positive halo effect was established for sega. While sega was on its 5th installment of cartoon critters going left to right, marketed as being 'grown up' 'popular' 'radical' 'rude' and having 'lots of attitude' Nintendo was recieving epic industry redefining adventures like link to the past, super metroid, final fantasy 6 and chrono trigger.

Gone were the days of sega trail blazing titles like phantasy star, abandoning 'loser' titles like that for 'marketable' things like sonic... AND FREINDS. It took 3 years for phantasy star 3 to make it out of Japan, landing on a console being beaten to death by a permanantly kiddie branded console.

Sega was too short on money from its massive marketing campaigns to invest in development of an actual new console, but they wanted to try and get the upper hand on nintendo again by having more powerful hardware and marketing downplaying nintendo again. Leading to a series of devastating genesis attatchment failures, financially crippling the company, and then... the saturn.

By then Segas marketing was in full force... And actively working AGAINST the company that championed furry critters while calling other consoles for kids. Those kids fully ingrained nintendo was kiddy, and then realized that furry critters with 'tude' were also kiddy, and here was cool big brother playstation, bolstered by those squaresoft epics that used to be only on snes, now with flashy fmv and grown up things like voice acting!

The Saturn was demolished. Sega abandoned Kalinske and his gimmicky comparative marketing, focusing soley on the quality of games speaking for themselves again, releasing a brilliant console in the dreamcast, which was... Really something in its time. But Sony and the third parties rallying behind them were just getting started in American style agressive comparative marketing.... Not to mention the Xbox... And Sega was finished under a crushing helping of its own medicine.

Kalinske's tagline however, 'Nintendo is kiddy' Never went away. Halo effects are strong over the weak minded, and those kids grew up perpetuating and spreading Kalinske's marketing, many of them becoming gamz girnoliz, or even developers, attaching it to the rallying cry of every company that competes with nintendo.

Nintendo may never be 'popular' while other companies constantly assault them with aggressive to passive agressive ads and pr, feeding the halo effect. But their unwavering quality is undeniable, and has been, and currently is enough for nintendo to remain profitable enough to ride out bad times while sticking to their guns. Something thats not looking very likely for their 'popular' competitors, who may be looking at their last consoles if certain forces in their respective companies get their way.
  • storabajskorven and Mewbot like this

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:24 AM

http://www.joystiq.c...amoto-confirms/

What are your thoughts on Nintendo's plans to discontinue the Wii U and develop a new console only after the Wii U has been out for 2 years? I can't say I'm surprised. For the first year the Wii U got nothing and now that it's finally getting games, the new console hype has died down and nobody cares about it anymore.

They start development right after the current generation. Always.

Iwata already confirmed that early this year - or was it last year?...

Anyway, what strike me as odd was this quote: "While we're busy working on software for the Wii U, we have production lines that are working on ideas for what the next system might be."

I always thought there was only one group to think about the home console system and another to work on the handheld front.
He seems to imply that there are groups working on a single system.

Personally, i think late 2016/1Q of 2017 will be the time a new system arrives.

I think it will be introduced E3 2016 and then released Holiday 2017.

And why is that? Have you given up hope on Nintendo? The main reasons why the Wii U didn't succeed is because of the name, the marketing, the gamepad, the lack of power, and the price. If Nintendo just increased the power and advertised it better and didn't have the gamepad (And had the pro controller as the main one instead) it would have been as successful if not more than the PS4 and xbox one.

You realize the main reason Wii U didn't do well was because of lack of good games? That is changing, and that means more Wii U will sell now.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!