• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

What is everyone's thoughts on the announcement? Honestly I wished it streamed in reverse (from a PC with a Steam Library to the XBOne) as then it would make me consider buying an Xbox One, but oh well.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

I don't care about streaming or holograms. Gimmicks I don't need. The OS itself does. Spartan is still IE despite what they tell you. Still using the same engine. So likely still less secure than Chrome and FF. Win7 is great but can's stay too far behind and free is free.

#3 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

I'll wait until I hear more but if it works well enough and is compatible with my Steam library like they claim it to be then I'll do the free upgrade.

I just hope the rumoured Master Chief Collection for PC isn't just streaming from Xbox One but an actual port.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

I don't care about streaming or holograms. Gimmicks I don't need. The OS itself does. Spartan is still IE despite what they tell you. Still using the same engine. So likely still less secure than Chrome and FF. Win7 is great but can's stay too far behind and free is free.

What you call a gimmick, I call "something that looks really cool and I wanna try at some point"

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#5 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

What you call a gimmick, I call "something that looks really cool and I wanna try at some point"

Yeah. My post was only about what I wanna use Win10 for is a new OS. VR and novelties like this don't go very far despite hype. They seldom do. As always the case wear it on the face it aint goin no place. Things you have to buy seperate and wear on the face fail. They often get hyped wow some people and novelty wears off. 3D,VR. 3D since the 50's. VR since the 80's AR Past 15 years. Tech gets better. Google Glass is a flop and funny thing is Google Glass idea been in practice for almost 20 years. End result stays the same. What is nice is having a OS that is free and up to date,still getting main support from MS.

I want holograms as well. I just don't think it will truly take off until it's just there. Not needing glasses and goggles. Everything should be tried once but don't expect it to take off anytime soon even if the next thing pushed at CES 2016.

Edited by Ryudo, 21 January 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#6 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:27 AM

The presentation itself was pretty boring, thanks to the presenters themselves. Some cool features in Windows 10, this is what 8 should have been. Streaming of xbox one games to other devices is interesting, not sure how exciting it will be playing a console game on a tablet though. I am looking forward to upgrading to 10, I'm on windows 8.1 currently

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#7 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:07 AM

I'm more excited for Windows 10 than I was for 8.  Currently not using any of the Windows platforms since my 7 ran out but was going to buy a new license at some point, if Windows 7 gets a free upgrade than that makes me feel more inclined to buy one!

#8 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:21 AM

I am super excited for Windows 10. Like what people have said already, it's what Windows 8 should have been, and this is coming from someone who enjoys Windows 8. I will try out the new browser and if I like it, I will make it my default. Don't really care about the streaming because I don't have an Xbox One, but the fact that it works with Steam Games is cool. I am actually excited to use Cortana, and I really want to use Holograms. That thing's going to be hella expensive, but I don't care. 

Also, bring back 3D Pinball and Inkball. You've had an OS that primarily uses touch screens but you didn't bring back the game that was first on XP for Tablet?

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#9 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

So we have to wait a year from Windows 10's release for it to be free for everyone?... Microsoft is damn greedy...

Also, why does Microsoft still bother with Bing and IE/Spartan? Everyone and their grandmother now uses Google and Google Chrome, or Firefox, or Opera...  but no one uses IE or Bing because they both suck, they should just dump them all together and ask permission from Google to use their browser and search engine as the default for their platforms :P

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#10 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

So we have to wait a year from Windows 10's release for it to be free for everyone?... Microsoft is damn greedy...

Also, why does Microsoft still bother with Bing and IE/Spartan? Everyone and their grandmother now uses Google and Google Chrome, or Firefox, or Opera...  but no one uses IE or Bing because they both suck, they should just dump them all together and ask permission from Google to use their browser and search engine as the default for their platforms :P

Internet Explorer doesn't really suck that bad anymore, I'm actually using it right now on my Laptop (IE10 on W8.1). I have been using Firefox for a long time before, but now I find that (providing I have ABP installed) IE is just fine. Most likely I will switch over to Spartan when I upgrade to W10

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

No Win10 is likely out this fall of this year. You can upgrade then. You can upgrade this year. If you want Greedy look no further than Apple. Apple has 10x the greed MS did at it's greediest in 1998. What MS is saying is that when Windows 10 releases likely this fall. Windows 7 and 8 users have a full years period where they can recieve the free upgrade. After than year is up anyone who DID NOT upgrade will likely have to purchase windows 10. Or do what most people do. Get a new computer.

================================================================================

@waddle

IE is still the least secure browser used. It functions and looks fine but the main issue with IE is security. It still has a lot of problems. Chrome is most secrure with FF not far behind. That's why IE is not looked upon with kind eyes.

Edited by Ryudo, 22 January 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#12 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

Internet Explorer doesn't really suck that bad anymore, I'm actually using it right now on my Laptop (IE10 on W8.1). I have been using Firefox for a long time before, but now I find that (providing I have ABP installed) IE is just fine. Most likely I will switch over to Spartan when I upgrade to W10

Eh... I just find internet explorer too cluttered and confusing to use, I like the simplicity and sleekness of Google Chrome, doesn't have a bunch of random toolbars, a million search boxes, random tabs at the top etc... just the one search bar and another lines for bookmarks :D

sfOI1m6.jpg

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

Eh... I just find internet explorer too cluttered and confusing to use, I like the simplicity and sleekness of Google Chrome, doesn't have a bunch of random toolbars, a million search boxes, random tabs at the top etc... just the one search bar and another lines for bookmarks :D

Toolbars? is this 2001? If you have Toolbars and things. Dude you need to shoot that computer. It's diseased. That's not IE that is your PC being heavily infected.

#14 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

eere.png
It's pretty simple here. Granted, I did have to enable the bottom toolbar so that I can monitor ABP, but that's not necessary and I can disable it again if it bothers me.

Edited by grahamf, 22 January 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#15 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

No Win10 is likely out this fall of this year. You can upgrade then. You can upgrade this year. If you want Greedy look no further than Apple. Apple has 10x the greed MS did at it's greediest in 1998. What MS is saying is that when Windows 10 releases likely this fall. Windows 7 and 8 users have a full years period where they can recieve the free upgrade. After than year is up anyone who DID NOT upgrade will likely have to purchase windows 10. Or do what most people do. Get a new computer.

================================================================================

@waddle

IE is still the least secure browser used. It functions and looks fine but the main issue with IE is security. It still has a lot of problems. Chrome is most secrure with FF not far behind. That's why IE is not looked upon with kind eyes.

Really?

I thought they said that it will be free a year after it's release, not the lather...

I'll definately upgrade to it from 8.1, but I'm also thinking of waiting a while since that when I first got my laptop I had a lot of problems with Windows 8 at first...

But now that the OS is more matured it runs just as fine as 7, even better in some ways.

So I hope that Windows 10 will actually get updates that do bug fixes... unlike previous versions of Windows which just have 1000000 downloads for security patches and things like that no one seems to notice change anything at all with the OS... 

Toolbars? is this 2001? If you have Toolbars and things. Dude you need to shoot that computer. It's diseased. That's not IE that is your PC being heavily infected.

Lmfao my old laptop had a lot of them when I was using IE... when I got Chrome on it it was like a whole nother world :P

attachicon.gifeere.png
It's pretty simple here. Granted, I did have to enable the bottom toolbar so that I can monitor ABP, but that's not necessary and I can disable it again if it bothers me.

Noice :P on my chrome I have my bookmarks and some of my extensions are at the top right so I can see them lol, and I have a blue theme on top which made me hate the default white one due it's blandness @_@

I'm waiting for the day where they make the chrome web store available on chrome mobile so I can download extensions and themes (I need adblock on there too!)

sfOI1m6.jpg

#16 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

@waddle

You don't think Microsoft knows that? That's the reason why they are making a new browser in the first place; otherwise they would just add Cortana integration and note-taking to an update to IE. Also, Win 10 already comes with Spartan and IE. I don't really want to have 3 browsers on one computer.
Can someone put Magic the Gathering or Yugioh or any card/board game on Hololens? That would be the coolest thing ever.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue

#17 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

You don't think Microsoft knows that? That's the reason why they are making a new browser in the first place; otherwise they would just add Cortana integration and note-taking to an update to IE. Also, Win 10 already comes with Spartan and IE. I don't really want to have 3 browsers on one computer.
Can someone put Magic the Gathering or Yugioh or any card/board game on Hololens? That would be the coolest thing ever.

No.Spartan is IE with tweaks. Just changed the name. it usesmany of the same tools and such and others from what has been revealed. If you read Paul Thurott as well. MS is marketing it with a new name and made some tweaks but all in all still IE on a basic level with a new shell and name.

Edited by Ryudo, 22 January 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#18 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

There are some pretty big changes though, such as completely dropping backwards compatibility and the new plug-ins system.

#19 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

No.Spartan is IE with tweaks. Just changed the name. it usesmany of the same tools and such and others from what has been revealed. If you read Paul Thurott as well. MS is marketing it with a new name and made some tweaks but all in all still IE on a basic level with a new shell and name.

You don't think that they made it more secure? If they didn't make significant improvements to it then why call it something new? Where did you find out that it uses the same tools?

KtOSpy7.jpg

#20 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

You don't think that they made it more secure? If they didn't make significant improvements to it then why call it something new? Where did you find out that it uses the same tools?

Windows Weekly. Why. Market Share. IE Marketshare is dropping last few years at an alarming rate. It's only kept what it had because of enterprise using it. The other is simple. Perception. Has a bad image attached to it. Until all support was dropped as recent as last year still people using IE6. SO many versions are used. Many consumers just use what came with the computer and don't upgrade. IE logo and brand still likely kept for those who like and want it and not confuse simpler users.(aka clueless people and elderly who think IE is THE internet)

. Like the Start button was brought back for the same kind of people. Not needed but people complain to the tenth degree. Spartan is simple.So repackgage and rebrand.

Win10 is being given away free because so many people still hang on to older version of windows. That can cause major issues. Often people only upgrade to a new version of windows is when they buy a new PC. Well many of those people hang on to a PC for years so still running Win7. 400 Million on WIn7. Many millions more still on XP! MS is trying to re-energize the Windows brand as a whole and get people to uprgrade. Multi step plan. Spartan is part of it. As OS for PC's matter less MS wants them to matter again. It's their lifeblood.

Edited by Ryudo, 22 January 2015 - 09:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!