NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

tumblr_m50r9czdQv1qj6jppo1_500.gif

That story sure puts a lot of mention into Sonic Boom.. but let's be realistic, it's just one blemish of many the last several years.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

I mourned SEGA in 2001. Since then it's had ups and downs from high up to really low. I hope at the very least Sony,MS and Nintendo can fund games for them for their consoles. Sony is with Yakuza. Nintendo did with Sonic and Bayonetta and now SMTXFE. Atlus I hope stays who they are as I feel while owned by SEGA Atlus sorta functions independent of them so I hope they can still do stuff for handhelds and consoles.

#4 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

Wii sega, they are like a pet dog that you liked back in the day but as time goes on you realise it's better off dead

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Wii sega, they are like a pet dog that you liked back in the day but as time goes on you realise it's better off dead

or a pet hedgehog. 

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

Sucks for those let go but I'm looking forward to some more Sonic on PC.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#7 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

I never knew much about Sega, only years ago found out they were in the console business and rivalled Nintendo. Growing up, playing the Nintendo 64, I wasn't aware of their presence only the Playstation at the time.

#8 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

The beginning of the end. 

Although I guess you could call them pulling out of hardware the beginning of the end..

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

The beginning of the end. 

Although I guess you could call them pulling out of hardware the beginning of the end..

Tom Kalinske was the beginning of the end for sega. The best, and ultimately worst thing to ever happen to them.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

Tom Kalinske was the beginning of the end for sega. The best, and ultimately worst thing to ever happen to them.

No, Hayao Nakayama was the beginning of the end for Sega. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:19 AM

Technically, yes, since he, against his own wishes, and the entire board of directors made the fateful decision to let Kalinske condition  their audience to be embarrassed of Japanese games, shun, japanese games, not localize most japanese games, and of the japanese games that did make it, if they werent simple fast paced action games, put them on the back burner so they were 3 years old by the time they made it out west. Games that history has loooonnnnggg since confirmed were far, far, FAR superior to the western crap like madden and mortal kombat which he put on a pedestal.

And more importantly, he moved the value of  the sega brand away from relying on the quality of their software, and Soley on marketing  lies and attack campaigns directly targeted at a specific demographic, at the shortest, and most obnoxiously stupid point of their lives.

You can only lie to a kid for so long telling them their 'cool' console of choice has the raddest graphics, most intense sound, and bodacious system power thanks to made up garbage like 'blast processing' (Technically, blast processing was a dma controller. Big whoop, snes had them too. 8 Channels worth) before he comes face to face with something like super metroid, realizes the snes curb stomps the genesis in system power and audio, and from there, realize that a furry blue rodent with 'attitude' saving little squirrels and birdies, is not more grown up than a plumber riding a dinosaur, and, seeing that kiddy system with games like 'Super Metroid' and the genesis with nothing that can hold a candle to it at all, realize they've been a massive tool.

After that point, sega was irredeemable to the west.

32x? Nah, Sega lies, games are probably crap. sega cd? Nah, sega lies, games are probably crap. Saturn? Nah, Sega lies, games are probably crap.

A victim to Kalinskes OWN 'cool' marketing. Furry hedgehogs? Pfft, thats the stuff I liked when I was a dumb kid who thought he was grown up. Playstation has gran tourismo, and medal of honor, THATS grown up, not sega. Sega is for kiddies, like that nintendo.

By the time the dreamcast came out, and Sega put their quality deep japanese games, and not just the simple arcade style ones front and center again, it was too late.

Tom Kalinskes temporary sega success is EXACTLY the kind of stuff Nintendo warns about when they tell their investors they dont want to sacrifice their brand image for a temporary boost in profits.

Not saying Sega of Japans president and chairmen were without fault, they had their own laundry list of screw ups. Management, all around bad management everywhere in sega, is what destroyed the company.

I have  more of an axe to grind with Kalinske, because he didnt just harm sega, he put a lasting stigma on Nintendo as well, and really, Japanese games in general, even now, long after Sega is gone from the console space, his poison is still polluting the well.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:58 AM

No, Sonic was the beginning of the end for Sega.

Actually that may have just been the beginning of the beginning...

Edited by Ep0nabot, 31 January 2015 - 02:07 AM.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#13 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:21 AM

Atlus I hope stays who they are as I feel while owned by SEGA Atlus sorta functions independent of them so I hope they can still do stuff for handhelds and consoles.

Don't worry about Atlus, Sega said they're just going to leave them alone and let them do what they do best

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#14 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

Technically, yes, since he, against his own wishes, and the entire board of directors made the fateful decision to let Kalinske condition  their audience to be embarrassed of Japanese games, shun, japanese games, not localize most japanese games, and of the japanese games that did make it, if they werent simple fast paced action games, put them on the back burner so they were 3 years old by the time they made it out west. Games that history has loooonnnnggg since confirmed were far, far, FAR superior to the western crap like madden and mortal kombat which he put on a pedestal.

And more importantly, he moved the value of  the sega brand away from relying on the quality of their software, and Soley on marketing  lies and attack campaigns directly targeted at a specific demographic, at the shortest, and most obnoxiously stupid point of their lives.

You can only lie to a kid for so long telling them their 'cool' console of choice has the raddest graphics, most intense sound, and bodacious system power thanks to made up garbage like 'blast processing' (Technically, blast processing was a dma controller. Big whoop, snes had them too. 8 Channels worth) before he comes face to face with something like super metroid, realizes the snes curb stomps the genesis in system power and audio, and from there, realize that a furry blue rodent with 'attitude' saving little squirrels and birdies, is not more grown up than a plumber riding a dinosaur, and, seeing that kiddy system with games like 'Super Metroid' and the genesis with nothing that can hold a candle to it at all, realize they've been a massive tool.

32x? Nah, Sega lies, games are probably crap. sega cd? Nah, sega lies, games are probably crap. Saturn? Nah, Sega lies, games are probably crap.

A victim to Kalinskes OWN 'cool' marketing. Furry hedgehogs? Pfft, thats the stuff I liked when I was a dumb kid who thought he was grown up. Playstation has gran tourismo, and medal of honor, THATS grown up, not sega. Sega is for kiddies, like that nintendo.

By the time the dreamcast came out, and Sega put their quality deep japanese games, and not just the simple arcade style ones front and center again, it was too late.

Tom Kalinskes temporary sega success is EXACTLY the kind of stuff Nintendo warns about when they tell their investors they dont want to sacrifice their brand image for a temporary boost in profits.

Not saying Sega of Japans president and chairmen were without fault, they had their own laundry list of screw ups. Management, all around bad management everywhere in sega, is what destroyed the company.

I have  more of an axe to grind with Kalinske, because he didnt just harm sega, he put a lasting stigma on Nintendo as well, and really, Japanese games in general, even now, long after Sega is gone from the console space, his poison is still polluting the well.

And of course, hiring Bernie Stolar didn't help either.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#15 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

This is one of the most accurate pieces of video game commentary I've ever read, especially on the anti-japanese prejudice (which persists to this day), and on the merits of the Genesis vs the SNES.

You described my childhood gaming experience to the T. We had an NES but then got suckered in by the Genesis marketing. I remember very little about the Genesis. What I remember is that I always wanted to be at my friends' houses who had the SNES. 

Edited by Kokirii, 31 January 2015 - 01:20 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#16 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

No real surprise here,

Sonic Boom sold less than 500k between Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

To say that last year’s release of Sonic Boom on both the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS was a disaster is an understatement. According to new data provided by SEGA, the game failed to sell 500k combined on both the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS. Previous sales estimates for the title were 600k on the Wii U alone and 2,270k on the Nintendo 3DS. Sega has now lowered that forecast considerably, with only 300k expected to sell on the Wii U and 1,380k on the Nintendo 3DS.

This announcement shows exactly why SEGA announced a restructuring of its business earlier this year, with a focus on PC and mobile games instead of console games. One can’t help but wonder if the continued failure of SEGA to revolutionize the Sonic franchise and bring it into the modern era is finally coming to an end and this is the last console Sonic game we’ll see. Sonic fans are some of the craziest fans we’ve seen, especially considering one man decided to mace a GameStop employee over the fact that Sonic’s arms are blue in Sonic Boom.

http://wiiudaily.com...d-nintendo-3ds/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!