• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

Played the demo earlier and it seems like an interesting take on the strategy formula.

Thoughts?

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

Didn't get the chance to play the demo yet but this is one on my radar. The gameplay seems fast paced enough and I think I will have fun using the FE amiibo too. 

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:51 PM

Me and my brother absolutely adored the demo. I made some spare cash yesterday so the next time we hit GS we'll pre-order it. I love how it's turn/grid-based, but still real-time combat.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

Gotta love some of the weapons...

weapon__bananapult@2x.png

The Bananapult ... can't wait to have some enemies slip..... muahahah

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:24 AM

Is the gameplay like Valkyria Chronicles/XCOM: Enemy Unknown? 

Edited by Kokirii, 16 February 2015 - 05:24 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#6 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:03 PM

The gameplay seems fast paced enough and I think I will have fun using the FE amiibo too. 

From my demo playthrough, that seemed to be exactly what the gameplay wasn't. Much more slow and methodical than Fire Emblem, which seems to be the obvious comparison for turn based strategy.

#7 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

From my demo playthrough, that seemed to be exactly what the gameplay wasn't. Much more slow and methodical than Fire Emblem, which seems to be the obvious comparison for turn based strategy.

I'll have to give it a go I guess to see how it plays out. Even watching videos, it's a bit hard to grasp the pacing.

#8 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

I'll have to give it a go I guess to see how it plays out. Even watching videos, it's a bit hard to grasp the pacing.

Part of it will just come down to how quick you are as a player.I felt that the fact that you can't necessarily see what the enemy is doing is an interesting design approach, but makes the experience feel less fluid. Felt like a lot of starting and stopping.

#9 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

I forget, what is the length of time the enemy has to make its move?

#10 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

I forget, what is the length of time the enemy has to make its move?

Maybe 30 seconds? It's kinda long, but it makes sense since the enemy turns are randomized/move in real-time. Actually just got back from pre-ordering this game from GS. Conveniently it comes out the day before the SAT and right after the lesson I gotta teach. Studying and the game won't get in the way of each other!

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png

#11 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

The graphics look really good and have grown on me, since you can't see the whole battlefield or exact alien positions at all times I think it will be more of trial and error in the full game. 

#12 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

The graphics look really good and have grown on me, since you can't see the whole battlefield or exact alien positions at all times I think it will be more of trial and error in the full game.

Not trial and error. Replaying chapters. If you just look around you can keep track of enemy placements and know where to hide. It's a challenge.

Signature_Portal1.png

#13 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:58 PM

Not trial and error. Replaying chapters. If you just look around you can keep track of enemy placements and know where to hide. It's a challenge.

I assume it's mostly replaying chapter because you start off with few characters though right?

#14 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

I assume it's mostly replaying chapter because you start off with few characters though right?

That and knowing the map better. If you play the demo, at a certain point you're given two more team members. You go through a new stage and then you can go through past stages with them. Stuff like that, messing around with different team combos, aiming for a higher score, and unlockables add to replay value. I hope I explained it well.

Signature_Portal1.png

#15 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

I've never played a turn based strategy game before, but the demo sold me on it. As a side note, I hope Nintendo restocks all the FE amiibo so the amiibo functionality doesn't go unused by most.

#16 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

I've never played a turn based strategy game before, but the demo sold me on it. As a side note, I hope Nintendo restocks all the FE amiibo so the amiibo functionality doesn't go unused by most.

We know Marth is getting stocked again at some point, but they better make enough ... same goes for all FE amiibo. Nintendo made a point of it's functionality in the direct so they should realize people have an interest in using them in this game.

#17 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

If you've never played a turn based strategy game before, hurry up and play Fire Emblem Awakening (assuming you weren't placing that in a different genre). It's a lot better than this.

#18 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

We know Marth is getting stocked again at some point, but they better make enough ... same goes for all FE amiibo. Nintendo made a point of it's functionality in the direct so they should realize people have an interest in using them in this game.

what about metaknight and king dedede.... ???? there's about five people who are getting to use those amiibos on kirby

#19 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

what about metaknight and king dedede.... ???? there's about five people who are getting to use those amiibos on kirby

I am one of them  :)

and I agree, they should offer more stock too.

#20 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

i about burst out laughing when i saw the message pop up that i could use those amiibos... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!