• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

I know many people see AAA as the cream of the crop. Just It feels so many of then are mediocre to bad with a shiny coat of paint and millions invested in marketing. Some greats for sure. Some clearly are either mediocre like Destiny or terrible like ACU. Yet they still sell. They often overshadow smaller budget and less marketed games. That's to be expected but they are sometimes fantastic games with some goofiness or over the top. It great when you discover one. As a main example Platinum Games are very much like that. Even with big names they make the B-tier but amazing games. Devils Third is another. Ninja Gaiden used to be AAA. Ninja Gaiden 3 is bad,well vanilla NG3. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge on Wii U is a really good B game. More or less using pretty much the same assets it seems they kinda remade the game on Wii U not as much a port as they added and removed things. Like missions characters and weapons.

B games do not always have to be pure action games. Nier is a great Action RPG. Many people likes Enslaved. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom I will take to the grave is better than anything Team Ico did. Conan is a fun action game but damn ugly lol.

Why do I enjoy them so much? They often just have some unique charm to them. Also do more of a even balance of gameplay and story rather than so much AAA being more cinematic. Often have a cool factor and mostly they often feel how we imagine 16 bit games in 3d as kids. They sometimes have some great humor and over the top. Not always.

I don't know if I can pick a fave but some I love are well ANYTHING from Platinum like Metal Gear Rising,Bayonetta series. I guess yeah anything PG makes I esp love.

Anyone into B games of any genre and what are some of your faves?  If new to them try Bayonetta or MGR.

y6irllW.gif

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:47 PM

I've got MGR on the PS3, but I've yet to try it out...

As far as 'B' games go...would it be fair enough to put Just Cause 2 on this list? I know the game is generally loved, and it /did/ sell a lot of copies, but everything about it just kinda screams 'B movie' to me. xP

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:15 AM

Yes, Ubisoft is a good example. Their "AAA" titles like Assassin's Creed and later Splinter Cell games are boring as hell, while their lower-budget games like Red Steel 2, ZombiU and Child of Light are fun and interesting. I suppose it all boils down to that you need to sell tons of games to break even if your budget is large, which means you can't afford to take risks. And while good games sell, too good games don't sell enough.

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:56 AM

Vanquish. There is one of the best TPS ever.

#5 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

Do the Conduit games count? I thought they were great

#6 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

In my opinion the dynasty warriors games fit here well. Not known for anything graphically stunning but gameplay is pretty much solid and consistent across the board.

If you only got a 3ds you don't have to wait until hyrule drops to play a warriors game on a hand held.

download.jpg
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#7 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:13 PM

Pretty much any DW and spin off or series like it. Sengoku Basara is one I love similar to SW. I dunno if serious Sam counts I love those games tho. Folklore is a fun game on PS3.

One I can bring up from 16 bit era is this

It's kinda like Zone of the Enders as a sidescroller.

#8 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

B games usually are crap with only a few being worth my attention, same goes with AAA.

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

Lost Planet 1 & 2 are great and some fun TPS games.

Game Republic (RIP) made some good ones last gen

Edited by Beat, 21 June 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#10 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:43 PM

Do the Conduit games count? I thought they were great

You're half right.

Conduit 1 was a great game, especially from a lore standpoint and proof-of-concept.

The only thing good about Conduit 2 was the ideas behind it and the improved multiplayer modes. They ruined the voice acting so, so badly. .-.

I would also like to add Enslaved: Odyssey To The West to this list. Anybody with an able PC/PS3/Xbox 360 needs to get a copy of this game. Easily one of the best things I've played in a long time.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

I should finish Enslaved only thing from NT that was enjoyable.

Conduit felt so mediocre but I could see where people liked it. I wanted to but was so bored I sold it. Maybe just got caught in the hype back then

#12 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:45 PM

I would not call Bayonetta a B game, it is AAA.
My favorite B game is W101, Rayman and CitiZens of Earth

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:21 PM

Anyone play No More Heroes series on Wii or Killer 7 on Gamecube?

#14 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:35 AM

Anyone play No More Heroes series on Wii or Killer 7 on Gamecube?

No more Heroes is in my top 3 for best Wii games. The sequel was meh, but the first is fantastic! I loved Killer 7 too.

#15 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

I love the second. Thought it was better but I'd love with we got something like it from Suda

#16 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:19 AM

I've been playing way of the samurai 4 recently, really fun if you're willing to look past some stuff. 

Definitely a "B" game.

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!