CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:16 AM

Honestly... especially with a new IP.. if you have 33 weapons to choose from I know for sure I wouldn't take the time to test each and every one. I'd look and see what others were using and pretty much play with that. A lot of choices like that is not always a good thing up front cause it can easily be ignored. By getting a new map, weapon etc. here and there, it gives the player base an opportunity to at least give the new content a try and see if it's for them.

It also allows the devs to see how it works and plays out in the game. Obviously they didn't have enough time to play test everything to their liking so this is a way they can better track what may need tweaking of fixing down the line.

Oh, easy. If Nintendo unlocked it all at launch many people will play the game once and put it down and forget about it. But this way players will be encouraged to play the game every week or so to see what's new or changed, and at the same time get more drawn into the game and liking it.

That's why devs implement unlock systems. The more you play the more you unlock. There are a variety of ways that can be implemented and I would say they're much better off doing that than just giving players content content over time without having to earn it.

What about after they've released all the content? People that then choose to buy the game just get all the content from the get go. Had they implemented a proper unlock system that could be avoided.

It just seems lazy to me, if it were planned better they could have handled this a lot better than just periodically giving players more content. Maps I can see how spreading out the release of each could help maintain the playerbase but with weapons and other content I don't agree with the approach.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#22 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

That's why devs implement unlock systems. The more you play the more you unlock. There are a variety of ways that can be implemented and I would say they're much better off doing that than just giving players content content over time without having to earn it.

What about after they've released all the content? People that then choose to buy the game just get all the content from the get go. Had they implemented a proper unlock system that could be avoided.

It just seems lazy to me, if it were planned better they could have handled this a lot better than just periodically giving players more content. Maps I can see how spreading out the release of each could help maintain the playerbase but with weapons and other content I don't agree with the approach.

With an unlock system you still have the problem with the game being put down and forgotten, as it has absolutely no way of reminding you to try out new stuff when you put the game down. With Nintendo's system The game sites mention it and your friends (if any, depending) will want to try out the new stages and weapons together. You don't get that momemtum.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#23 Leland

Leland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

So basically because there's been some free content therefore all of it will be free? Once again, that may be the case but since they haven't made an announcement regarding this content we can only make assumptions, while it's fine to hope this will be free I don't see how people can say that it will be with such certainty as if it's somehow guaranteed.

I think Nintendo said that the DLC was going to be free in one of their Splatoon directs, IIRC.

#24 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

With an unlock system you still have the problem with the game being put down and forgotten, as it has absolutely no way of reminding you to try out new stuff when you put the game down. With Nintendo's system The game sites mention it and your friends (if any, depending) will want to try out the new stages and weapons together. You don't get that momemtum.

Which is why I love the way Splatoon is being managed with the weapons and whatnot. I am one of those guys who puts games down after a while as I get bored of things really easily, even with unlocks (Which haven't been done well since maybe melee (even though I give melee so much crap because of pro smashers)).

Splatoon has made me come back to it and have fun exploring the new content being every so often. I don't find grinding up to lvl 20 in a week fun, I find fun in constant revisiting of the game and learning different methods as they are introduced (and given breathing room).

#25 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

I see your point. Still not my preferable approach but I can see why it could work. I would say that it would be better to have unlocks though, if the players are enjoying the game enough they'll keep playing until they unlock all the content anyway whereas slowly giving them more content over time may make people lose interest if they've played with all the current content and there's nothing to unlock so they may be bored with the game by the time they hear an announcement of more content and not bothered to play some more. Some seem to enjoy the approach they have though, I just wouldn't say it's the best approach.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!