Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • NNID:Atticus242
  • Fandom:
    Wii U, 3DS, Xbox 360, WWE

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

Any better suggestions to what I'm looking at here?

WD - http://www.amazon.ca...=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB -

Seagate - http://www.amazon.ca...eywords=seagate

Also Seagate - http://www.amazon.ca...rnal hard drive

1TB might be overkill but I figure if it's just $10 more than their 500GB counterparts then why not? Wondering if anyone has experience using these make of hard drives with their Wii U.

#2 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

I just got a Seagate 1.5TB for $50 and a y-cable from Amazon for like $5. It's a HUGE improvement convenience-wise over my old 320 GB that was the size of a brick and needed to be plugged into the wall. With any of these make sure you get the y-cable. 

Edited by Kokirii, 12 May 2015 - 09:01 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#3 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:06 AM

I just got a Seagate 1.5TB for $50 and a y-cable from Amazon for like $5. It's a HUGE improvement convenience-wise over my old 320 GB that was the size of a brick and needed to be plugged into the wall. With any of these make sure you get the y-cable. 

You bought it for use with your Wii U?

#4 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:53 AM

You bought it for use with your Wii U?

Yeah, that's why I had to get the Y-cable. Wii U can't power an external HDD that doesn't have its own power source unless you use two USB ports instead of just one. 

Edited by Kokirii, 13 May 2015 - 04:54 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#5 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:00 AM

I had no idea the Wii-U could power that size of HDD, i though that a 320gig, which i use, was the max load the Wii-U could power over the usb ports without straining the Wii-U's PSU.

Edited by GCD, 18 May 2015 - 03:01 AM.

#6 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:44 AM

*slow blink*

um, ok. The capacity of the drive has no bearing on the voltage required to run it, though if anything higher capacities may possibly run better as they would be newer and use more power efficient technologies.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#7 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

^^Won't a bigger HDD draw more amps/volts, and won't this also affect the way the HDD performs, slow in spinning up due to lack of power.

Edited by GCD, 18 May 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#8 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

Nope

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#9 EskobarM92

EskobarM92

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • NNID:EskobarM92

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:46 AM

1TB WD Passport should be sufficient. That's what I use. Only problem is when y cable sometimes comes loose and HDD start clicking. 2TB Passport would be overkill imo.

Idk about other brands like seagate (should be good based on reviews) but I have nothing but good experience with WD Passports.

Edited by EskobarM92, 22 May 2015 - 07:50 AM.

Eskobar+M92.png

Wii U: EskobarM92, Xbox One: Eskobar M92, PS4: Eskobar-M92

#10 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, that's why I had to get the Y-cable. Wii U can't power an external HDD that doesn't have its own power source unless you use two USB ports instead of just one. 

This type?

http://www.amazon.ca...=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

#11 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

I have used an older version of a WD Passport drive with a Y-cable since i got my WiiU on release, never had a issue.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=wd passport

You don't need a 1TB drive, i have a 320GB on, you are never going to fill it unless you are buying everything digitally.

#12 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

I have used an older version of a WD Passport drive with a Y-cable since i got my WiiU on release, never had a issue.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=wd passport

You don't need a 1TB drive, i have a 320GB on, you are never going to fill it unless you are buying everything digitally.

I'm up to using 300GB in games myself. I'm using the 750GB i pulled out of my laptop when I upgraded it to 1TB.

Edited by grahamf, 26 May 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#13 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

Yes, just make sure that the connector for the external HDD is correct (mine was USB 3.0, not mini USB)

Edited by Kokirii, 26 May 2015 - 05:11 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#14 Merky_Water

Merky_Water

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

I use the 2TB version of this guy:  http://www.amazon.co...ding=UTF8&psc=1

While it might be overkill on size(and, at least at the time, the max the U could recognize), it was on sale for $70 or $75 when I bought it a year or so ago.  Works like a champ and doesn't tie up more than one USB port.  Fast access too so much so that I don't notice a difference in speed whether it's pulling info from the internal or external drive.

merky-banner2.png

#15 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

I use the 2TB version of this guy:  http://www.amazon.co...ding=UTF8&psc=1

While it might be overkill on size(and, at least at the time, the max the U could recognize), it was on sale for $70 or $75 when I bought it a year or so ago.  Works like a champ and doesn't tie up more than one USB port.  Fast access too so much so that I don't notice a difference in speed whether it's pulling info from the internal or external drive.

Wow, you got that for an excellent price. One USB port on your Wii U and it was good to go?

#16 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

Wow, you got that for an excellent price. One USB port on your Wii U and it was good to go?

Looks like it plugs into the wall for power.

#17 Merky_Water

Merky_Water

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

Yes, one USB port as it plugs into the wall for power.  Makes the read and write times much faster than the passport i used to use or the thumb drive i attempted for a short time.

While I did luck out on a great deal, honestly, i would have even paid the $85 sale they're throwing right now

merky-banner2.png

#18 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

Heu guugguys, I was just wondering, can the Wii U use a 64gb flash drive? I don't need a whole tb and would rather not have to have another power supply.

pNgecl.gif

#19 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:27 AM

I don't se why not, but a cheap flash may be slower and 64gb doesnt last long.

#20 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

I don't se why not, but a cheap flash may be slower and 64gb doesnt last long.

It'll be enough for me. All I'm downloading is dlc and indie/virtual console titles. Even if each one of those was a gb I'd still get around 60 titles which is more than I'll ever buy.

pNgecl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!