36 replies to this topic

#21 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

so the 720 is 6X stronger then the 360 and 20% stronger then the WII U
(assuming the rumors are true) the WII U is twice as strong as the 720 (even with mid level of that same GPU type, its still stronger)
but this is claiming the WII U is 2X stronger then the 360
clearly someone is lying

Okay, you guys might want to consider reading everything on those links - Specifically the comments. These "power levels" are completely subjective, but the real point is that the Wii U is next generation.

#22 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'll just say this again.

The developer who said that made that comment last year, before he received the final dev kits

"Nintendo’s persistence with non-disclosure agreements means that it has been difficult for Develop to cross-examine the source’s claim, which was made late last year."

#23 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Okay, you guys might want to consider reading everything on those links - Specifically the comments. These "power levels" are completely subjective, but the real point is that the Wii U is next generation.

Good to know I wasn't the only one who was thinking about this. I was waiting for someone to comment it before me :P)

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#24 Manic

Manic

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic Underground

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

is it really that interesting if we knew that from day 1?
Spoiler

#25 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

I believe he is right about the retail cards, and I knew the R700 was a high end card when it came out because they based the next generation cards off the R700 so it had to be a pretty impressive card. However, with knowing that, I have always said ATi/AMD/Nintendo started with that base -- the base that ATi started with for their 5xxx Series -- and went from there. So they could have added anything, probably fixed the heat issue this guy mentioned (he kind of hinted they probably tinkered with the card) and truly, no one will no anything until we see it in action.

But if I say that for Nintendo, I would be highly hypocritical if I didn't assume the same with Microsoft and it's "720" (which I somewhat doubt will be it's name, but since Microsoft spent money advertising that name who knows). They stared with the AMD 6670 and went from there. Nintendo might have had a better foundation, but if you skilled enough (and ATi has always been my choice when it comes to video cards, so I believe they are highly talented) you can make a good building even with a somewhat weak foundation by reinforcing the building and tinkering with what you got.

However, the whole basis that Microsoft would choose a low end card to start with is somewhat disappointing, and very odd. And to tell you the truth I would go even further saying Microsoft choose HD 5570 and 5670 which is what the 66xx series was based off. Why? Because if they choose the 6670 then they are seriously behind. That card was released in Feb 2011. The 55xx and 56xx series however was released in 2010 and the birth of the 720 GPU probably started with similar beginnings as the 55xx Series.

Which is kind of funny, if you think about it. That means the 720 is somewhat related to the Wii U, at least GPU wise, because what Nintendo started with ATi went on and created the 5xxx Series, and thats what the 6670 was based off of.

If the GPU is better then that's great, but it's not everything. I'm thinking that they mean Xbox 720 is 20% more powerful overall. Though if the Wii U's GPU is better, then that pretty much eliminates most major obstacles to putting multiplats on the system. So we shouldn't have anything to worry about if the rumoured specs are true.

Well, based off old rumors the Xbox 720 has a six core ARM processor. Which means low power consumption -- similar to this GPU rumor -- and although it will be capable of impressive 1080p graphics, I don't know if it is more powerful then the POWER7 tech that the Wii U is based off of. But again, the 720 info is filed under rumor and I somewhat doubt it's 100% true.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#26 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

is it really that interesting if we knew that from day 1?

Well all of us cant tell the future like you

Edited by Mr ECHO3, 25 January 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#27 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Based on the IGN rumors (which are probably BS) the power increases for each console go like this: (keep in mind an increase of 100% is a fancy way of saying "double". So to triple you would actually need 200% (200% plus initial value of 100% = 300"))

Xbox 360 = 100% (Base Point)

Xbox 720 = 500% (6x the power of the 360, 100+500)

Wii U = 400% ( 4x the power of the 360, 100+300)

The 720 is said to be 20% more powerful than the Wii U, so I took the value of 500 and multiplied it by 0.8 (80%) and you get 400%. But, if you take increase 400 by 20% you get 480, meaning the difference between the 720 and U is 500 and 480.

The math doesn't add up. If the 720 is 6x the power of the 360, there is no way it is 20% more powerful than the U because the U would be 5.8x the power of the 360, a miniscule difference that is only 3.33%. So somebody is lying here. In order for the 720 to be 20% more powerful than the Wii U AND be 6x or more powerful than the 360 it would need to be a power increase of 576% or 6.76x (lets just round it to 7x).

Basically, the 720 has to be 7x more powerful than the 360 in order to be 20% more powerful than the Wii U. So either the 6x more powerful rumor was a mistake (too high or low) or the rumor of being 20% more powerful than Wii U was wrong.

(I'm no expert in math but I got by percentages down haha)
http://en.wikipedia....se_and_decrease

Edited by Tenkay23, 25 January 2012 - 11:31 PM.

Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#28 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

Tenkay, 6x 100 is 600...
(the next bit isn't aimed at anyone specific)

None of the rumours considering the power of the consoles can be considered true.

You can't compare the PC graphics cards because consoles DON'T USE THEM as I've said many, many times on different parts of the internet.

The first gen dev kit for the Wii U may have been using a R700 to get developers projects on their system, but after that it would've been the companies own modified chipset, and a more powerful one at that.

Plus, the original rumour that stated that the Wii U was using an R700 stated that it was using a Power 6 PC, which was already proven wrong by the time E3 came around, since the Wii U is using Power 7 architecture, which believe it or not makes quite a bit of difference. Plus those kits were underclocked themselves, so it won't be just 50% more powerful than the PS3 (which is what the first rumours said, not the 360).

And of the CPU, we don't know how many cores and what sort of set up the Wii U is using, so we won't ever be able to guess it's power until it comes out or if Nintendo release the tech specs.

We don't know anything about the Next-Gen consoles and all these rumours are just made up guess work produced to get more reads/views, the only thing we do know is that the Wii U is more powerful than the current generation, and probably by quite a bit more than the rumours would have you believe, considering the ones that said it were actual developers.

Edited by Stulaw90, 28 January 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#29 Rubix87

Rubix87

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda, mario, radical dreamers, metroid,

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

Tenkay, 6x 100 is 600...
(the next bit isn't aimed at anyone specific)

None of the rumours considering the power of the consoles can be considered true.

You can't compare the PC graphics cards because consoles DON'T USE THEM as I've said many, many times on different parts of the internet.

The first gen dev kit for the Wii U may have been using a R700 to get developers projects on their system, but after that it would've been the companies own modified chipset, and a more powerful one at that.

Plus, the original rumour that stated that the Wii U was using an R700 stated that it was using a Power 6 PC, which was already proven wrong by the time E3 came around, since the Wii U is using Power 7 architecture, which believe it or not makes quite a bit of difference. Plus those kits were underclocked themselves, so it won't be just 50% more powerful than the PS3 (which is what the first rumours said, not the 360).

And of the CPU, we don't know how many cores and what sort of set up the Wii U is using, so we won't ever be able to guess it's power until it comes out or if Nintendo release the tech specs.

We don't know anything about the Next-Gen consoles and all these rumours are just made up guess work produced to get more reads/views, the only thing we do know is that the Wii is more powerful than the current generation, and probably by quite a bit more than the rumours would have you believe, considering the ones that said it were actual developers.

Nicely done!

#30 thunderspider

thunderspider

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm really curious about this power stuff.. if the wii u have enough power to receive third partie games , i will stay just with it, but if not, i will have to make a combo with another console.. anyone knows when the final dev kits arrived? it was december or january?

#31 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

I'm really curious about this power stuff.. if the wii u have enough power to receive third partie games , i will stay just with it, but if not, i will have to make a combo with another console.. anyone knows when the final dev kits arrived? it was december or january?

We dont know the Specs fully but to give you the run down it can run
Cryengine 3
Newest Version of Unreal engine 3 (they come in versions like the first unreal engine 3 is different from the form it takes now its really confusing just think of it like this they upgrade it each month with new effects)
Frostbite engine
Ok now what I mean by run is to run well and fully the modern consoles even though they are games based on those engines their many downgrades and stuff for them to be able to run like sub hd resolution ,texture pop in ,lower res everything.
now for the rumor specs we can assume from the specs also rumored from the xbox 720 that it is just rarely weaker or infact twice as strong as the 720 their two different sides to this from the Graphic card perspective either way is good one side is better than the other though.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 30 January 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#32 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

We doubt know when but Dev had final kits now.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#33 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Based on the IGN rumors (which are probably BS) the power increases for each console go like this: (keep in mind an increase of 100% is a fancy way of saying "double". So to triple you would actually need 200% (200% plus initial value of 100% = 300"))

Xbox 360 = 100% (Base Point)

Xbox 720 = 500% (6x the power of the 360, 100+500)

Wii U = 400% ( 4x the power of the 360, 100+300)

The 720 is said to be 20% more powerful than the Wii U, so I took the value of 500 and multiplied it by 0.8 (80%) and you get 400%. But, if you take increase 400 by 20% you get 480, meaning the difference between the 720 and U is 500 and 480.

The math doesn't add up. If the 720 is 6x the power of the 360, there is no way it is 20% more powerful than the U because the U would be 5.8x the power of the 360, a miniscule difference that is only 3.33%. So somebody is lying here. In order for the 720 to be 20% more powerful than the Wii U AND be 6x or more powerful than the 360 it would need to be a power increase of 576% or 6.76x (lets just round it to 7x). (maybe thats why mircosoft choose this card, it fits with the console name!! lol) 720 stream processing units + xbox720.. fits.. http://en.wikipedia....28GPU_family%29

Basically, the 720 has to be 7x more powerful than the 360 in order to be 20% more powerful than the Wii U. So either the 6x more powerful rumor was a mistake (too high or low) or the rumor of being 20% more powerful than Wii U was wrong.

(I'm no expert in math but I got by percentages down haha)
http://en.wikipedia....se_and_decrease

If wii U get the r770 (I hope is a 4850 and higher) http://en.wikipedia....iki/Radeon_R700 and xbox720 the hd6670, then we shouldnt care much about the cpu power!
Does anybody know, how many Stream processing units the wii U gpu got? Because there are plenty of r700 chips out there! I hope its 800 or at least 640...!
Wii U got a power 7 4 core 16 threads (by IBM). 1 core goes to the controller and 3 cores 12 threads for the system... its more than enough! How many games today, use more than 2 cores and 4 threads (intel cpus), and considering that wii U cpu, each core can do 4 different jobs at the same time (ibm cpus).. Its more more than enough!! So I dont mind if xbox720 comes with a 6670 and 6 core cpu and 20 threads!!! Because games dont need that! We need gpu horse power and cpu core speed!

the only danger for wii U is, if xbox720 and ps4, comes with a 7xxx cards.. But this will cost them ALOT OF money. Also, 6670 may be a really bad gpu for pc, but nobody knows how it can perform in a console! It has 480 stream processing units.. http://en.wikipedia....28GPU_family%29

Edited by Orion, 30 January 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#34 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Dev kits are not final yet

Posted Image

#35 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Tenkay, 6x 100 is 600...

Not when it comes to percentages. A doubled increase in power is not 200%, it's 100% (a 100% of the initial value). Saying something is 200% faster actually means triple the speed (the initial number of 100 which is the base point, plus the 200% equals 300, which is triple)
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#36 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

Yes, but the way you described it you should have said that it was 500% more powerful using Xbox 360 as 100% base, plus you went on to say that the Wii U was 4x more powerful at 400%, how can something be 500% and 6x more powerful, when 400% is 4x more powerful?

600% of 100% is 6x as powerful, so therefore what I was saying, based on what you originally said was right.

Edited by Stulaw90, 31 January 2012 - 06:46 AM.

#37 Rockalot

Rockalot

Blooper

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level??

Haaaarrrr.... No seriously, who cares. If Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword look as good as they do on the Wii, anything even near the power of a current generation console ala the 360 or PS3 will dazzle me.

Bring it on.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!