• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

"Half-Life developer supposedly said to be working on a Steam-driven platform with hardware potentially made by multiple partners, Android- or 3DO-style."

"The "Big Three" console makers may soon be joined by a fourth. A Verge report citing unspecified sources and rumors states that Valve Software wants to break into the TV set-top console market with a "Steam Box" system of its own.
Posted Image
A drawing from a Valve patent for controller technology.
In keeping with Valve cofounder Gabe Newell's statement last month that the company doesn't want to get into the hardware market (but will if it has to), the Steam Box is said to operate more like a platform along the lines of Google's Android operating system or the 3DO. In theory, Valve would set hardware specifications and create the system software, but multiple partners (Alienware is one rumored name mentioned in the report) would be able to create their own Steam Box devices.
The baseline specs reportedly tout a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an Nvidia GPU. And in addition to running PC games through Valve's Steam storefront, the boxes would be able to run services of rival digital distributors, like EA's Origin service.
The Verge also pointed to a Valve patent from last year as being related to the Steam Box. Specifically, the report says the Steam Box is slated to come with a USB controller that allows users to swap out different components to suit their tastes or different game types. Another possible feature of the controller is biometric readings that would allow games to change in real-time based on users' heart rate.
As for when the Steam Box could be unveiled, next week's GDC and the Electronic Entertainment Expo in June are given as two potential public debuts for the system. A Valve representative had not returned GameSpot's request for comment as of press time."

It might just be the "Big Four" next gen, I'm happy but sad because then Valve will make there games only for there console and Steam would not be on Wii U.

What do you think of this?.

#2 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

Hmmm, Valve said they will only make hardware if they have to. And right now I don't think they have to. Plus three is enough. Also this "Steam Box" seems more like a competitior for the Alienware X51 rather than the home consoles.

#3 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

Hmmm, Valve said they will only make hardware if they have to. And right now I don't think they have to. Plus three is enough. Also this "Steam Box" seems more like a competitior for the Alienware X51 rather than the home consoles.

I hope your right, I want Steam and Valves first party games on the Wii U, It's scary too because when it was Nintendo vs Sega vs Sony vs Microsoft we all know one company gets kicked out and at that time it was Sega, so if Valve comes in then 1 company might get kicked out and that's scary to think who it is.

#4 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

Now i dont want anyone to leave but if one of the three companies were to leave, I figure it would be Sony. But regardless, a fourth competitor isn't necessary, plus it would suck for Xbox, PS, and Nintendo owners because they would would have to buy another system or PC if they want to play Half Life 3, Portal 3, etc.

#5 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Now i dont want anyone to leave but if one of the three companies were to leave, I figure it would be Sony. But regardless, a fourth competitor isn't necessary, plus it would suck for Xbox, PS, and Nintendo owners because they would would have to buy another system or PC if they want to play Half Life 3, Portal 3, etc.

I've read and it said it would more likely be facing Alienware and Onlive.

So Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft and Alienware vs Onlive vs Valve.

#6 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Well they will no doubt have the specs. Man Nintendo please dont let me down

#7 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

I see this as a way to play Steam games on your TV with standard controls. It would be good for someone like my brother, who has to buy half his games on Steam because he's on a tight budget and all there is in his college town is a wal-mart.

Edit: What I don't see it, is a competitor. Valve doesn't have the brand name recognition. In fact, I've seen people(Mostly the aforementioned brother) who say that Valve is just a huge team of Modders. I get where this is coming from. Let's face it, all valve has made are games running off of Source, which is kinda 11 years old now. So Valve doesn't have the greatest... Reputation for top quality brand new tech.

Edited by Terrabyte20xx, 03 March 2012 - 09:13 AM.

Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#8 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

..ooo a new competitor.We'll see how it all plays out but they'll have to bring something unique to the table if they want to have a chance of surviving against the big 3.
Posted Image

#9 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

I think this would be stupid for Valve to do. They's probably manage to make more money by putting Steam on the big 3.
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#10 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I think this would be stupid for Valve to do. They's probably manage to make more money by putting Steam on the big 3.

I think 3 competitors is bad enough as both ms and xbox didn't really differeniacte themselves too much and the wii was seen as a companion device along with the ps3 or the xbox.Next gen if all the competitos will target the same audience then there's really no space for 4 consoles
Posted Image

#11 Zok

Zok

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

If you ask me, the more competition, the better.

#12 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

C'mon guys. This must be pretty much the same thing as OnLive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive

In NO WAY it can be considered a 'big 3 competitor' because it's a niche cloud-based product.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#13 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

C'mon guys. This must be pretty much the same thing as OnLive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Bw9XADMDBp0

In NO WAY it can be considered a 'big 3 competitor' because it's a niche cloud-based product.

Um where did you get Cloud based out of steam box it even has specs if it was cloud based it wouldn't have specs.

#14 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

I thought of Valve creating their own console is.......kinda scary.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#15 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

I have a hard time imagining that this is actually going to happen. I would think that instead of taking the risk of making a new console that would probably be very expensive and most likely won't be successful, they would just try to get Steam on as many systems as possible. The only reason they would need to make their own console is if for some reason, there were no consoles/PCs capable of running their games.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#16 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Honestly I don't know what i'm going to do next generation I been playing Nintendo Console since I was 3-4 years old but the last 5 years I been a pc gamer so I respect Nintendo and Valve almost equally and in some places Valve more than Nintendo so if this is true I am torn at which to get for a home console.

#17 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Honestly I don't know what i'm going to do next generation I been playing Nintendo Console since I was 3-4 years old but the last 5 years I been a pc gamer so I respect Nintendo and Valve almost equally and in some places Valve more than Nintendo so if this is true I am torn at which to get for a home console.

If this is true you can still get both, I think having at least 2 consoles every gen is good, l only had a Nintendo console 3rd and 4th gen and then 5th gen I had N64 and PS1 and 6th gen I had Gamecube, PS2, Xbox and this gen I have Wii and PS3, so you should get both Wii U and Steambox.

#18 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

but Valve is pretty much unknows apart from the gaming community and if they are thinking of joining the console race they will need to hit the mass market

Edited by mootap, 03 March 2012 - 10:33 PM.

Posted Image

#19 hooky

hooky

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Why do they need to be big outside the gaming community? They're not making a tablet or anything like that. They're making a gaming console. And they're technically not making it, just coding the software.

#20 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Gears of War, Killzone

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

This reminds me of the Phantom console. Does anybody remember that? Infinium Labs (now Phantom Entertainment) developed it back in 2003 and it was supposed to play PC games (both old and new) in the comfort of your living room, supported by an incredibly powerful architecture. Of course, the console never saw the light of day due to numerous delays, financial problems, and conflicts with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The gaming landscape has changed after all these years and Valve could potentially make the idea work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!