#1 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

This video has caught the attention of tons of people. Even news sites including the Huffington Post, and Washington Times.

Interesting that people are actually getting concerned about this, because it has been going on for years. Keep in mind this is not only Kony, but so many genocides have gone through without the U.S caring. Actually, in october I gave a Foreign Extemp speech over the topic of the U.S concerning the Lord's Resistance Army. I don't necessarily think that this campaign is a necessarily bad thing, but I think that it's good that people that aren't already aware of whats been happening. I am actually extremely interested on how April 20th is going to turn out.

For more information on Joseph Kony and his life, I found this biography of him.

http://www.history.com/topics/joseph-kony

So, I'm interested on everyones thoughts on this campaign and if its going to go through or not and discussion of the LRA.

Edited by Elric, 07 March 2012 - 06:43 PM.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#2 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

I couldn't get past three and a half minutes in the video. I'm tired and I get bored easily. I may watch this tomorrow, or I will just wait until someone spells out exactly what this campaign thing in a way that people with short attention spans can understand.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#3 rollin4em

rollin4em

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pikachu

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

didn't watch and want to but this article about it is cool
http://jezebel.com/5...he-meme-du-jour
Posted Image

#4 Ali

Ali

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Fandom:
    Donkey Kong, Mario Kart

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

You guys really should take a look at the video.

Not only is it for a good cause, the video is really well-made, it's actually enjoyable to watch

#5 igiari

igiari

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Fandom:
    Ace Attorney

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

The video may be long, but it's for a good cause. I believe that it's not a scam. You guys should share it everywhere.

Posted Image

Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

#6 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

You should fast forward a little bit. It gets exciting after the 1st 5minutes.

I couldn't get past three and a half minutes in the video. I'm tired and I get bored easily. I may watch this tomorrow, or I will just wait until someone spells out exactly what this campaign thing in a way that people with short attention spans can understand.

#7 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Kony is a real loser and i hope he knows it, just like every other kidnapper like him out there. People like this just need to jump off the face of the earth.

Signature_Fox.png

#8 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 14 July 2014 - 01:07 AM.

#9 Zok

Zok

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

^^^I have doubts about their credibility as well. Also the fact, how are you going to take out a guy who owns the country's military? Hire a private army with donations? This is really only an awareness campaign at best.

#10 Ali

Ali

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Fandom:
    Donkey Kong, Mario Kart

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

^^^I have doubts about their credibility as well. Also the fact, how are you going to take out a guy who owns the country's military? Hire a private army with donations? This is really only an awareness campaign at best.

That's exactly what it is. This is really one of the only times that people spreading the word about the campaign IS the campaign. It's not about people donating or being in the sense "charitable", but rather, it's to show the US government that the world wants KONY gone, so don't pull out your troops. That's all it is

#11 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I personally am turning more and more against this campaign because it is not trying to be truthful. It is essentially propaganda created for this one cause. If I don't agree, I hate children or support child labor.
But if people actually bother to research this topic, they might want to think about the events in a much more critical manner. There is no guarantee Kony can be brought in or killed, he isn't even in Uganda. Sending troops will cause distress and will bring the LRA to further believe in their cause. But it will also give the US more bad relations with more countries.

That's exactly what it is. This is really one of the only times that people spreading the word about the campaign IS the campaign. It's not about people donating or being in the sense "charitable", but rather, it's to show the US government that the world wants KONY gone, so don't pull out your troops. That's all it is

Kony hasn't been in Uganda for about 6 years now, you know that, right? Besides, unnecessary US meddling will put it in more bad light with the other countries.
But what of the US troops that are there? They will end up fighting the solider children whom the campaign is also trying to save.
Kony is just like any other charismatic warlord. His soldiers believe in him and are no longer who they used to be. Whether they were brainwashed or convinced, they wont easily turn against him.

#12 Lady Rarity Pony

Lady Rarity Pony

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Schutzstaffel

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I have significant doubts about the entire campaign.
Joseph Kony has not been in Uganda for years and some Ugandans are even claiming that he's been dead for years.

Who knows, we could be witnessing quite an impressive scam for money.

I also doubt tossing my money around to mass produce bracelets is gonna help Ugandan kids.
Posted Image

#13 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

I don't know if this makes me cold-hearted, but I cannot feel sympathy for those kids at all.
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#14 Lady Rarity Pony

Lady Rarity Pony

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Schutzstaffel

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Spoiler

I'm not gonna help making a man rich off the real world problems of others. Kony is already known now, he's all over the internet. People tossing money at this guy is not gonna help anyone.

Oh...and I found this laying around the interwebz.
Spoiler

Posted Image

#15 Zok

Zok

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

^^^I don't know whether to laugh or shudder.

#16 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

The video is very well made and effective, but I do have doubts about the credibility of the campaign. As others have said, Kony hasn't been active in Ugnada for some time and the Ugandan government aren't exactly angels either. I'm also struggling to see how donating money will help stop Kony. The campaign has raised plenty of awareness now, so donating more money isn't going to gain much more publicity.

#17 Lady Rarity Pony

Lady Rarity Pony

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Schutzstaffel

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

This may be of interest

Posted Image

#18 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

I find when something like this has a sudden burst, and everyone is telling everyone else to do what everyone else is doing because of it, it loses a lot of the effect it initially had.

You don't want to bombard people with the same information. It's similar with tweeting to game devs. The more a specific question is asked, the more it gets held against avid gamers.

I have no doubt that Kony information bombardment wasn't the original intention of the creators of the documentary. Awareness, yes, but quite literally seeing it everywhere they go, I really do not think so.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#19 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

I see Kony paintings on many cars. It gets unecessary at some times.

#20 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

Also, Kony is the black guy from Predator.

Not the joker guy, the super serious one who carries a gatling gun.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 13 March 2012 - 04:37 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!