Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

How big is your TV?

What are you comparing 720 and 1080 using?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#62 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Disagree with what part since 1080p and 720p is a huge difference I mean

1280 x 720 to

1366 x 768 is a pretty large difference and

1920 x 1080 from

1366 x 768 is a large difference now if you was talking about FOV than maybe a tiny increase but FOV because of it being on a TV is not really important.

Erm...I've honestly not seen that big of a difference between 1080p games and 720p games.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#63 Odyssey

Odyssey

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Erm...I've honestly not seen that big of a difference between 1080p games and 720p games.

I agree that there's not much difference. And when anti-aliasing is used on 720p games, it's almost impossible to notice the difference.

Without the anti-aliasing though, it can seem a tiny bit low-res for this day and age. For example, lately I've been playing a lot of Forza 4 (720p - no in-game anti-aliasing). The game is GREAT... but the jaggies are kind of overly noticeable. Maybe it's just more noticeable due to being a racing game where you are constantly scanning the screen for turns and opponents etc, but yeah, definitely jaggies are noticeably there.

I'm pretty confident however, for the games on Wii U that are native 720p, there will at least be processing power left over for anti-aliasing in most of them.

#64 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

48in. 1080i TV.

#65 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

im too lazy to find sources, but does the ue4 demo run in 1080, even then, there might be parts where its rendering under full 1080
if the samaritan demo was full 1080, than i would be suprised if any console could run that game half speed with 20fps, i still feel my 1080p plastic hair guys will show up on every console for a cruddy company trying to run things in 1080, i can just see it already
"guy drops out of distance, he looks awsomely realistic, but his loose shirt is not flowing with the breeze, and oh wait, his hair is glued to his head!"

when it comes to the next consoles, in 720, it might not look realistic or it might be jagged, in 1080, you are sacrificing performance, and will have to un-animate some things, but whatever does not get trown down the optimization sacrifice-pit will look awsome
part of not seeing between 720 and 1080 in games unlike tv is because no 1080 game has reached that resolutions point of perfection, although 720 games have already made the best of that resolution

Edited by uh20, 21 March 2012 - 07:53 PM.

:laugh:

#66 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

Considering the fact that Nintendo wants to form relationships with 3rd party developers and are open arms now I wouldn't be surprised if they bumped up the power of the Wii U in response to a supposed request from Unreal.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#67 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

If you havent noticed try comparing uncharted 2 or 3 in 1080 compared to gears of war3 running in 720 i would be surprised if you dont notice the difference

#68 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

If you havent noticed try comparing uncharted 2 or 3 in 1080 compared to gears of war3 running in 720 i would be surprised if you dont notice the difference

Wouldn't it be a fairer comparison to compare Uncharted 2 or 3 in 1080p to Uncharted 2 or 3 running in 720p? Uncharted 3 is one of the best looking games on a home console as of now. Odds are that it would still beat out Gears 3 even if both were running at 720p.
Posted Image

#69 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

I got 1x32" LG full hd and 2x42" full hd.. They are cheap now, so I use 1 for an everyday monitor for my pc too..
if you asked me... about my tivos..

If for example.. Wii U have 1080p in a 42” tivo and compare it with a wii U game at 720p, you will see A DAY and NIGHT difference, between them.
Because they stretch the games and we have huge loss in texture quality, colors, etc.. If you play in a 32 and less TIVo, then the loss is minimal... size matters.. I think you can test it with xbox360 to see what I mean..

If you play a game in a 32 inch tv, and then play the game in a 32+++++ inch tv... Is going to be day and night as well!!! And its not the tv's problem.. but the upscale. (smaller tivos are better for the 720p upscale... Bigger tivos have a huge problem in the colors with the upscale) Those who play their games in a 20-30 inch monitors or tivos, its logical not to see any difference.. Even though, the difference is HUGE.. 1080p games are very crispy graphics, especially in smaller monitors or tivos.. You think you can touch them...

I will give you a small example with my pc.. Years ago I had a monitor with 1600 resolution max... When I changed to 1080p, it was day and night! I couldn't recognize some of my games, SO MUCH BETTER... (it was the time that I stopped playing consoles as well.. ) You can also search on youtube or the internet, differences between resolutions.. The higher resolution is, the more detail you see in the game or in the movie!!!! Search for quad high definition samples and compare them with lower resolutions..

Edited by Orion, 22 March 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#70 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

The problem here is Uncharted 2 and 3 don't run in 1080p. They run in 720p, which is what my TV says they're running at.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#71 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

So, do you think they can go 72 FPS, or will they always try to stay at 60 FPS?

Going beyond 60 FPS is just a major waste of power, as most TV's, HD or not, work at a 60Hz refresh rate.

This would cause:
A)Flickering
B)Nothing, you wouldn't notice the 12 extra frames.
C)Breaking your TV.

The problem here is Uncharted 2 and 3 don't run in 1080p. They run in 720p, which is what my TV says they're running at.

Uncharted runs somewhere along the lines of 540P and is upscaled to 720P.

Just because your TV says it runs at 720 doesn't mean it runs at 720.

Edited by Waller, 22 March 2012 - 07:12 PM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#72 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

now most of the tivos run at 120mhz so we can play at 60fps without problems.. I am not talking about expensive tivos.. but cheap ones (samsung models).. I love samsung

#73 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

What language is tivo's ?
Samsung are mid-range. <3 them too.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#74 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

instead of typing television or TV, I type tivo, is something bad with it? I prefer Samsung, because they offer great quality in low prices, I dont care if they are mid-range..

For example I NEVER BUY SONY... they have excellent image quality and performance but EXTREMELY PURE built quality, with cheap materials. Is it just me? or any sony product I bought in the past, got lots of problems, just after the expiration of the warranty.. lol ALWAYS... So I stopped buying sony... I trust grundig (we have an old tv 27 inches more than 17 years and it works perfect!!), Samsung and not sure.. about LG... (all panels after all, belong to LG)

So tell me, wich brand you prefer? I bet you will say "sony"... Samsung are much MUCH MUCH much MUCH superior built quality than sony anyways.. (thats why I prefer them... ) I prefer built quality>=performance...

I bought a SONY monitor just 3 years ago and when the warranty expired, a capacitor burned and monitor is not opening, I have to learn how to fix capacitors inside the monitor (lol)..
I also bought a SONY vega years ago and when the warranty expired, have you ever seen RAIDEN in mortal combat with electricity in his body?... Well... thats what happened to my sony vega.. boom.
My walkman buttons, dvd buttons, etc... Only ps2 works...

Edited by Orion, 23 March 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#75 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

You bit my head off for asking what language you speak and saying I like the same brand you do. :(

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#76 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

"1080p plastic hair people"
aka nollog
im joking, of course
but really, there is a difference in 720 to 1080, anything past 1080 is soo tiny you wont really see it with your eyes anyways
the difference between em is always more obvious with a still picture, your eyes will lose track of the details when somethings spiraling around the screen
of course, unless wii u is nextnext gen, than its better if everyone just made games in 720, and use 1080 for whatever non-game videos that can show up in game (not too often i hope), my care for 1080 is just like reggies, i guess its cool, but... meh
:laugh:

#77 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Going beyond 60 FPS is just a major waste of power, as most TV's, HD or not, work at a 60Hz refresh rate.

This would cause:
A)Flickering
B)Nothing, you wouldn't notice the 12 extra frames.
C)Breaking your TV.

Uncharted runs somewhere along the lines of 540P and is upscaled to 720P.

Just because your TV says it runs at 720 doesn't mean it runs at 720.

yea i know i just thought uncharted was native 1080p since sony usually tries to glorify how amazing there games look.

i still think there is a big difference between 720 and 1080

#78 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Both ps3 and 360 dont have the gpu power for 1080p, when 7900 series and 1900xt series graphic cards came out, didnt have that resolution, and they couldn't even tweak this resolution in this cards..
Not even ATI 2900xt which it was a buggy monster, didnt have that resolution.. I remember it was 1600x1200, something like that.. So both, ps3 and 360 play at 720p maximum, maybe less.. 720p=1280x720

Edited by Orion, 24 March 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#79 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

anyway, I wrote that, because a guy said, they couldn't support just 1 controller.. lol It supports 5 ... The screen controller is cool, but too much may kill the cat.. As for the 720p-1080p, I stick with my original message, its a huge difference, not minimal.. At least from my personal experience in pc gaming... Its day and night. And FPS need high resolutions and good FOV..

As for hardware improvements, as I said, I focused only in the graphic card and the resolution that splits into many screens... (2 controllers and 1 tivo).. They should at least, add a different gpu for that.. The controllers eat the half of it. Anyway, no reason to argue about it... Lets wait for it and see what it brings, but I am not that excited, to move my game into the console world. Its still to little for me. But as I said, I will support it...

After all I dont fancy sony or microsoft, so Nintendo is the way to go!! Its not only wii U after all, as Microsoft and sony will face the same dilemma.. If they want for example to support 4 tablet controllers (sony and MS), I wonder how they will manage it with 1 gpu.. Probably they will add mobility gpu to control the signal in the controllers.. Its a major problem for all.. Is going to be the "upscale party" consoles... :P

and i still stand by that why would anybody buy a console that only supports one tablet controller its like the wii would you have bought that if it only supported one wii controller and 4 gamecube controllers.

They are not going to sacrifice having two tablets for a higher resolution and if they did it would be a horrible idea

#80 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

they have no other choice, if they do support 2... After all they already rumored that, 720p is going to be the major work space for wii U.. apparently because of the controllers.. There is no other reason or excuse.

Its not about the wii U power, its about the controllers who drain the half wii U power. The controllers, its not just the split resolution, but they act also individually into the game space.. thats why they drain all that.. Its not like 3d vision with 3 screens, one next to each other that 1 image splits in 3.. Its more complex than that. In my opinion, one of this controllers was more than enough... They should make a special addon hardware for more of this, instead of drain all this power for it. Personally I will never buy second one, maybe as a replacement part.. And its unfair for those who dont want their half horse power to be dedicated (wasted) for a second screen controller... more like waste of money.. Also NOT IDEAL for fps games if we already own a PC. 720p is prehistoric... no way to spend a single sent for a 720p fps games.. I am angry with that.. I was hopping for native 1080p for all games (at least pc gamers want more than 720p...) As for the wii controllers.. I was playing with gamecube controllers attached!! As I liked them more.. lol

In general, all games that will play double, or quad players, will have to use a 720p ress, Those games who play solo, they will be able to use 1080p...

Edited by Orion, 24 March 2012 - 04:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!