Photo

Nintendo speaks out saying enjoy the games, don't focus on specs.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

Sigh. Nintendo needs to start acknowledging that specs do matter to Nintendo loyalists. Only because the specs determine if the Wii U will recieve third party ports and/or exlusives. Most people can't afford multiple consoles and people like me want to buy just one console next gen. However, if I can't get any good multiplats or sports games on my Wii U, I will need a PS4, etc.

When was the last time you had a Nintendo console as your only console that had all the games you wanted? The SNES? It was for me.

N64 used cartridges which lead to many developers skipping it for the cheaper CD manufacturing media. Nintendo lost out on Square and FF and it went to Sony.
GameCube was a beast that was better than the Xbox at some things, but it lost out on games like GTA and Final Fantasies and many JRPG's because of it's small disc size (1.5GB as opposed to the 4.7GB of a single DVD, and 9GB of a dual layer DVD)

The Wii was a GameCube with twice the amount of processor speed, 2x the RAM, and 2x the VRAM with motion controls. It didn't get any third party ports of the HD twins. It also lacked online.

Now the Wii U is in a position where it will match the competition in disc size, HD resolutions, and online. However, this is where specs matter. If the specs are too far below the PS4/720, then it will be the Wii all over again, where developers don't port their games over or give some lame ass excuse like "we can't think of any ideas for the unique controller" or "we would need to build it from the ground up for the Wii U because of it's architecture"

Fans like me care about the specs only for the multiplats. There has to be a balance of hardware and gameplay. If Nintendo goes cheap on hardware again do you know what will happen? It will be supported by thid parties for about a year, maybe 2 max, until the PS4 and 720 come out and then it will go the way of the Dreamcast and lose support and it will be all up to Nintendo to support it's own console.

I would be happy if the Wii U ends up being the PS2 of this generation, where even though it's the weakest, it still gets all the ports. I won't be happy if the PS4 ends up with 4x more RAM and VRAM and runs carp at 2048p or whatever. Nintendo can't screw this up. The Wii U could end up being the GameCube all over again if the specs aren't right. It will sell around 25 million, only the die hard nintendo fans and the kids will buy it, it will have great first and second party support, but minimal third party support and watered down ports. The lack of third party support will leave software droughts for Nintendo and Wii U gamers.

An average gamer (i'm pulling numbers out of my head here) buys at least one game a month. Now, unless Nintendo plans on releasing a first or second party game once a month for the entire Wii U life span it won't satisfy gamers. (Judging by the Wii and Gamecube era, that won't happen. Nintendo averaged maybe 3 or 4 high profile exclusives a year with those consoles). They will just end up getting another console to satisfy their craving as they await the next exclusive game for the Wii U. Compare that to a PS4 or Xbox 720 where you get at least 1 or 2 high profile games A MONTH, whether it be an exclusive, a third party game, or other type of game. Wii U owners won't have nothing to play during those time gaps between first party releases since third parties would adandon it.

So yes Nintendo, specs do matter, don't screw this up.

/rant

I agree 100%

Specs and graphics improve the gameplay. Gran Turismo 5 would be a lot more boring if it was on the wii because of the graphics for example. Plus it's not only graphics but game mechanics that improve with specs. Like 64 player online that was only possible on PC cause of specs.

Imagine a Super Smash with like 50 characters and 100 stages with 1000 trophies, 8 player mode and still maintaining stunning visuals.

With great specs come rich and great experience gameplay much easier. With low specs the devs has to compromise with stuff like how much per level, pure content and graphics. Nintendo needs to understand this.

Edited by Hinkik, 05 April 2012 - 01:21 AM.

28gxdv8.png

#22 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 14 July 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#23 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Wow .... nintendo responded to rumors !!! hell frozen over

Im not surprised , nintendo ninjas had enough of this in the past days ...

But you know it was in the middle of gearbox saying that so that was a planned statement ...that's why they saw the need to act them selfs.

Which actually doesn't confirm nor deny anything ...

Link me to ONE source proving that one of Nintendo's competitors has publicly lied about a Nintendo console's specs.

Vigil saying "on par" .... that was a terrible statement .. probably a non-tech or whatever he meant to say .... their game is on-par graphically , but not the hardware.

Vigil later said the hardware "pretty powerful" .. but that was not the same guy from vigil

Edited by Stewox, 05 April 2012 - 02:47 AM.

Posted Image

#24 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Link me to ONE source proving that one of Nintendo's competitors has publicly lied about a Nintendo console's specs.

She probably meant that other console manufacturers give absolutely theoretical maximums of what their console will do.

Wow .... nintendo responded to rumors !!! hell frozen over

Always follow the source line back to the original for a better understanding, and unbiased "reporting".
http://www.digitaltr...ay-not-numbers/

A representative of Nintendo of America neither confirmed nor denied the report for Digital Trends.
“We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#25 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

I meant that the anonymous rumors were the one originally made this mess because there would have been no problem if gearbox would be all alone saying that
Posted Image

#26 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

I was talking about the other console makers mainly sony been known to stretch the truth of their consoles making them seem more powerful than they are example I believe is Sony telling the Polygon count of the ps2 and it being crazy high for its time when the actual case it was far from as high as they said it was.

#27 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

I meant that the anonymous rumors were the one originally made this mess because there would have been no problem if gearbox would be all alone saying that

ya i no.
They just left out the usual "Nintendo do not comment on rumour and speculation." line.
It's not really a reply to the rumour, but a reply to the question and the person doing the replying is all like "calm the monkeyreboot down! the games are what people buy our consoles for!"

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#28 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

We all know there are a lot of conflicting rumours about the Wii U. It became so out of hand Nintendo stated this:

“We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers.”

Source: http://mynintendonew...njoy-the-games/

LOL!
You sir, just made my day. Awwhh, good ole Nintendo. :laugh:

Edited by nintendo3DS, 05 April 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#29 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

I just hope they know what they're doing here. I remember Iwata saying in an investor meeting a while back that he was disappointed that the Wii lacked in third party support, and that they were taking steps to change that. So hopefully, regardless of the specs, Nintendo has some kind of plan to make this work. I honestly don't care too much about the power, I just want the games. It's just too bad that a lot of the time, the power of a console directly affects what games it gets...

Posted Image

#30 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

From what I think they just want people to stop arguing about this rumor nonsense and just wait for e3 where people can see it with there eyes.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#31 Goose74

Goose74

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Sony

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hi there.

Rumors are rumors. Nothing more and nothing less.
Take it as a grain of salt. We will see what´s up Nintendos sleeves this time.

The phrase "gameplay over visuals" should be take carefully. It is right but

1. Good visuals will mostly intensify the gameplay
2. Strong hardware specs always means more chances of getting exclusives or good ports.

So Nintendo have to do everything to compete with both MS and Sony. I don´t think that both will let Nintendo get a second time the same chance like this gen.
This time Nintendo have to focus on competing with both Next-Gen Systems or they will big problems with every following year the Next-Gen is at work.

Sorry but most Studios make it for themselve very easy when it gets to port on a lower Hardware.
Sure you can´t port the Graphics fidelity at all but the core of the Game can be the same. Always there is a problem here and there or "we will only do ports if we can bring the game 100% the the platform" (simple excuse of we have no interest in doing more optimising the code or doing the work)

This time Nintendo´s hardware needs to be future proof to be competitive but they would be fools to release final specs to early so the competitors can jump train or render them bad in forums and in the press.

To the bad press and dubious insiders i just have one thing to say. A friend of mine is in the games business and it is totally normal that pro and con hypes will be ignited through payed posters and insiders in the industry. So next time you read about some dubious insider just start the BS bingo. ;)

Best regards.

Goose74

Edited by Goose74, 06 April 2012 - 04:10 AM.

#32 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

I agree with that ^. I didn't mind Wii graphics that much (it was only after 3 years or so I started to care slightly about it) but it bothered me that I couldn't get what the other consoles got.

You can bet your money on it that PS4/X720 are going to be more powerful because they will release later, so more technology is available/affordable at that time. But I doubt the difference will be as big as Wii - PS360. I think it'd be fine for the Wii U to be the PS2 of this generation: not much difference, but still the least powerful.

I don't think specs will win buyers by the way. I think Microsoft and Sony will also focus less on power and more on 'gimmicks' (most likely stealing Nintendo's ideas..). The problem for the Wii U here is that I don't see Nintendo making something that looks appealing in comparision to something made by Sony or Microsoft. If they will release a tablet controller it will be much thinner, more streamlined, have a better screen and all in all just look better. Nintendo's design still looks somewhat outdated (at least to survive another 5/6 years) already but we'll see. The 3DS is doing fine, so Wii U might not do bad either.

Edited by Keviin, 06 April 2012 - 05:57 AM.

No sig.

#33 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I agree with that ^. I didn't mind Wii graphics that much (it was only after 3 years or so I started to care slightly about it) but it bothered me that I couldn't get what the other consoles got.

You can bet your money on it that PS4/X720 are going to be more powerful because they will release later, so more technology is available/affordable at that time. But I doubt the difference will be as big as Wii - PS360. I think it'd be fine for the Wii U to be the PS2 of this generation: not much difference, but still the least powerful.

I don't think specs will win buyers by the way. I think Microsoft and Sony will also focus less on power and more on 'gimmicks' (most likely stealing Nintendo's ideas..). The problem for the Wii U here is that I don't see Nintendo making something that looks appealing in comparision to something made by Sony or Microsoft. If they will release a tablet controller it will be much thinner, more streamlined, have a better screen and all in all just look better. Nintendo's design still looks somewhat outdated (at least to survive another 5/6 years) already but we'll see. The 3DS is doing fine, so Wii U might not do bad either.

But that was just a prototype.

#34 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I disagree with that, except if the games are exclusives... Because all people have a couple of systems to play their games, AND THEY WILL NEVER get a minor version of it, because its sony, nintendo and microsoft, or PC.. instead the BEST version of the game..

true or false. So horse power matters.

PC started to become very popular.. especially with skyrim, I see many people love the game, as it sold million of copies, and buy the pc version after, because of the console and the CK, with 4k and 6k textures, mods, etc, so overall the game is day and night with he consoles at date. And battlefield 3.... Pc is rising again. So I believe, the next gen of consoles, must be equally in power, with the today high end pc graphics.

After all the game is changing in 2 years with direct x 12.. And that would give an advantage of 2 years clean sales for the new consoles.. Because the pc will rise again, despite the FPS war (frame per seconds, pc lovers, such us me... hehe) Because if the graphical power is the same, but with 30 or 40 fps instead of 60-300 fps that pc gives... well that doesnt matter much.. but if the graphics are day and night, well.. Everybody will get the pc version of it. And soon fall out 4 comes out, the same engine and even better than the skyrim engine one... so Pc will rock again...

I give you a clue about my point. 2011 and 2012, made a record in pc sales in all years, they sold more games, than all pc years together, in the past!!!! Imagine that... So Nintendo should reconsider their statements.

I imagine, not the expected generation of consoles... but at least the next one... Be able to upgrade the console, the same way we do in the pc.. for example, the consoles will have plug and play slots, with ram, gpu and stuff like that, and we dont have to buy new consoles, but the same console, with upgraded parts... to be able face the feature..!! (I dont mean to UN-screw the console and remove parts, but remove the appropriate slot with the old part and plug the new upgraded one).. And the ability to change graphic settings in game even in consoles..

Edited by Orion, 06 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#35 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

just because those consoles are releasing a year later doesnt mean they will be more powerful. look at the current gen the wii came out a year later than 360 and had less power. you never know i wouldn't just assume that it will be stronger.
also ps2 wasnt weakest of it's generation sega dreamcast was , and many people forget that.
the wii u prototype gpu is more powerful than the current xbox 720 and ps4/orbis gpu, and i dont think that will change much in all final version considering there is only about a year left.

Signature_Fox.png

#36 Daniel

Daniel

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

I feel that it will be a practically flawless seventh generation console, but not a practically flawless 8th generation console, when it comes to specs at least.

In the last generation, at least, it went this way in my opinion: Wii: Exclusives, Sony: Hardware, Xbox: Innovation.
  • I think it will go like this:
  • Wii will get more innovation (was still behind), better specs (still behind), and more exclusives (not behind in at all).
  • Sony will get a few more exclusives ( was kinda average), better specs (was not behind in at all), and some more innovation, but not as much as the U (kinda meh in).
  • Xbox will get Idk about exclusives (was kinda meh in), better specs (was kinda meh in), and some more innovation (wasn't behind at all in).
This can also be kept in mind: Sony can't take a big loss, so they'll try their best. Microsoft can, but they do have money, and Nintendo is unique, and generally doesn't do bad. Not sure about money though. Nuff said.
Let the games begin. Wish them all luck, because they make each other stronger!
  • PS: Most of what I said was full of predictions, opinion, and from what I've heard a lot.
EDIT: Sony is shorter on money than Nintendo, but Sony is probably going all out anyways. Edit made thanks to The Lonely Koopa.

EDIT 2: Microsoft is kinda feeding off of Sony in the gaming department (MS doesn't have too many exclusives), and we don't know too much about the Orbis (nor nextbox). -Orbis is the PS4's code name.
Also, the Wii U has a fighting chance against the Next generation consoles for a number of reasons, as long as it's used to it's full potential.
-hardcoreUfan
-my attempt to sum thoughts up, lol

Edited by DanielAello, 06 April 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#37 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I heard that they can't really afford to have extremely good specs at the moment, although I'm not sure about that one. Also, I feel that it will be a practically flawless seventh generation console, but not a practically flawless 8th generation console, when it comes to specs at least.

In the last generation, at least, it went this way in my opinion: Wii: Exclusives, Sony: Hardware, Xbox: Innovation.

• I think it will go like this:
  • Wii will get more innovation (was still behind), better specs (still behind), and more exclusives (not behind in at all).
  • Sony will get a few more exclusives ( was kinda average), better specs (was not behind in at all), and some more innovation, but not as much as the U (kinda meh in).
  • Xbox will get Idk about exclusives (was kinda meh in), better specs (was kinda meh in), and some more innovation (wasn't behind at all in).
This can also be kept in mind: Sony can't take a big loss, so they'll try their best. Microsoft can, but they do have money, and Nintendo is unique, and generally doesn't do bad. Not sure about money though. Nuff said.
Let the games begin. Wish them all luck, because they make each other stronger!
  • PS: Most of what I said was full of predictions, opinion, and from what I've heard a lot.

I'm pretty sure that is false people say that but last time I check even though they did have a couple problems last year they are still rolling in money and is way more capable of affording higher specs than some of their competition Sony for example but people have hardly no doubt they are going all out even if money is going against them.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 06 April 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#38 Daniel

Daniel

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that is false people say that but last time I check even though they did have a couple problems last year they are still rolling in money and is way more capable of affording higher specs than some of their competition Sony for example but people have hardly no doubt they are going all out even if money is going against them.

Edited, thanks.

#39 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

For daniel

Microsoft has mostly fed off of sony in the gaming department if you havent noticed also lacking in games ( mainly exclusives). Nintendo has the chance to have an on par or more powerful next gen console than one or maybe even two of thier competitors. Sony im kindoff illinformed about for the nextgen though .

Signature_Fox.png

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

My thoughts are now slightly modified, thanks.

Edited by DanielAello, 06 April 2012 - 08:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!