• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

On the Wii, Nintendo has released heaps of family/party based games: Wii Sports, Wii Party, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, etc...

Since the Wii U will be aiming at a hardcore audience too, do you think Nintendo will tone it down, will we see games like Wii U Sports and Wii U Fit?

Personally, I love hardcore games, but most of them I play on my PC, however, that isn't to say I won't get some of them for Wii U, but I really have loved the party games, I don't think there'll be lack of Mario Games (Though hopefully we get some good Mario Sports games).

What are your thoughts?

#2 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

It is almost certain that the Wii U will ship with a "party game" similar to Wii Sports. If not Wii U Sports, then something that serves the same purpose (to introduce gamers to the new controls/tech). To answer your question, I do not think they will tone down party games very much. Those games are what made them money last gen. Theoretically, the hardcore gamer will be satisfied by the 3rd party hardcore games, HD graphics, and better online functionality, coupled with Nintendo's first party hardcore games (mario, zelda, etc).

#3 Guest_Baroque_*

Guest_Baroque_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

Nah. I'm sure the Mii games will still be coming. Gotta show off some of those new features somehow.

#4 kwokings033

kwokings033

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

I wonder if the Wii U Fit will have a touch screen on it o.O

#5 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

I don't think we'll see too many family party games on the Wii U. Nintendo are targeting hardcore gamers with the Wii U, rather than families, so I don't think there'll be a great demand for party games. They might release a few of them though, perhaps a Wii U Sports but I can't see that many of them being released, which is a good thing if you ask me.

#6 rob_shadows

rob_shadows

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

Family/Party games aren't going anywhere for the WiiU and that's an absolute guarantee. As much as so called "hardcore" gamers like me like to Daisy and moan about them the fact is that if you look at the all time sales charts the top 10 or so are all Wii family/party games, no way Nintendo will abandon that. You'll see Wiisports, Wiifit, etc..all continued on WiiU and likely some new ones as well.

#7 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, I figure they will still be there, however, I don't think we'll be seeing as many third party family games (Carnival games, game party, raving rabbids etc.)

#8 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:25 AM

Nintendo are targeting the 'hardcore' gamers but they don't want to lose on their bigger market of 'family/party games'. Nintendo outperformed both Xbox and PlayStation with units sold due to this targeting. I doubt they will completely disregard a market that has successfully made them money.

Posted Image
For all the latest Wii U News: http://wiiuupdates.com/

#9 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:57 AM

Nintendo are targeting the 'hardcore' gamers but they don't want to lose on their bigger market of 'family/party games'. Nintendo outperformed both Xbox and PlayStation with units sold due to this targeting. I doubt they will completely disregard a market that has successfully made them money.

That's a good point, I think they probably will want to keep that focus on family/casual gamers too as since they already loved the Wii, they will be the first in line to get a Wii U.

#10 raney150

raney150

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

They said they want to appeal to EVERYBODY so I think there will still be some.

#11 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:15 AM

They said they want to appeal to EVERYBODY so I think there will still be some.

That comment actually sparked something else in my mind, do you think they will make family friendly/party games and then hard core games, or do you think we'll see some games that try to accommodate both parties in a single game?

#12 Kaworu

Kaworu

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:16 AM

It's Nintendo, they'll get around it.
I'm ricarleite from the 3DS forums...

"Make sure he doesn't leave."
"The prince?"
"Yes, make sure he doesn't leave!"

#13 raney150

raney150

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:18 AM

That comment actually sparked something else in my mind, do you think they will make family friendly/party games and then hard core games, or do you think we'll see some games that try to accommodate both parties in a single game?

They would probably try to attract both audiences, but with different games.

#14 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:48 AM

I think Nintendo's titles will consist of a lot of family related type games, where as I doubt third party developers would compete with those Nintendo titles with family related type games, instead they'd make the 'hardcore' games that appeal to a different audience.

Posted Image
For all the latest Wii U News: http://wiiuupdates.com/

#15 GunGoomba

GunGoomba

Friend of Bulbmins

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, Mario, Peach, Zelda. Yoshi

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

I bet there are more to come. I'm pretty sure Mothers wouldn't buy games like Batman:Arkham City or Killer Freaks from out space for their 3 Year olds!
Posted Image

#16 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

I bet there are more to come. I'm pretty sure Mothers wouldn't buy games like Batman:Arkham City or Killer Freaks from out space for their 3 Year olds!

I dunno, it could be fun :D
But yeah that's a fair point.

What they could do (And I expect they will) is to start releasing smaller board games and things that can be played just on the touch screen, we saw Reversi in the video, and we may just see more games like chess and backgammon etc.

#17 Mario Fan 123

Mario Fan 123

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Pokémon, Professor Layton

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

Wii Party was announced last year. Mario Party 9 is coming to the Wii and was announced this E3.

Shall we expect a MP10 soon. :D

#18 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

Why do people keep saying Nintendo are targeting the hardcore only with Wii U?

Did no one listen to the speech before the controller reveal?

Iwata (I think it was) specifically said they were trying to make a console where both the hardcore and casual market could thrive.

It's like the same thing that happened to Wii when people ignored the 'blue ocean' speech that was given and then were surprised when the casual market ate up the Wii.

Edited by Play4Fun, 14 June 2011 - 04:10 PM.

You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#19 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

Why do people keep saying Nintendo are targeting the hardcore only with Wii U?

Did no one listen to the speech before the controller reveal?

Iwata (I think it was) specifically said they were trying to make a console where both the hardcore and casual market could thrive.

It's like the same thing that happened to Wii when people ignored the 'blue ocean' speech that was given and then were surprised when the casual market ate up the Wii.

If you read this thread through then you would understand that we aren't saying that the casual market will be ignored, but will we see less party games than we did for the Wii to allow for more hard core games.
Generally our speculation would indicate that there may not be as much third party support when it comes to party/casual games.

#20 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

Yeah they arnt going to give up their mii games! Maybe they might release like 1 or 2 sports or fit games, but that will probably be it. We WILL see a mii game though. You can quote me on that too :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!