#101 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

A few months ago I was getting really positive about the Wii U hardware, but now? Decreasing excitement. I don't think it will stand up to the Xbox 8 and PS4, even though no specs of any next-gen console have been released.
No sig.

#102 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

A few months ago I was getting really positive about the Wii U hardware, but now? Decreasing excitement. I don't think it will stand up to the Xbox 8 and PS4, even though no specs of any next-gen console have been released.

Hahahahaha xD
Wait-
You actually expected the Wii U to do so?
lol
Posted Image

#103 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

The wii u will stand up to next gen, and will most likely be the main next gen console for the next 2-3 years. It is the first next gen console: the specs are promising and many next gen ports may use wii u as a base. It could see a price drop by the time a competitor comes out making it the better buy. Many of the games will be cheaper, it has Nintendo first party and 3 party games. It could be the 360 of the next gen. If the wii u is 350-400, then to be able to visually, not on paper, better it then it's going to make the cost 5-600. Also the price drop could bring the wii u to the 300-350 range, securing its place in the market. This is how things are.
It's a similar strategy to the 360--- decent tech, first release, nice first party, cheaper price.

Posted Image

#104 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hahahahaha xD
Wait-
You actually expected the Wii U to do so?
lol

Why not?
No sig.

#105 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

And why do you think it won't stand up to the Xbox 8 and PS4?

Because UE4 is not confirmed for Wii U? Well guess what, the Xbox 8 isn't confirmed UE4. And why would Epic say, "I like the Wii U. I think E3 2012 will be a big eye-opener for people." (Eurogamer.net). He did not confirm, though, nor did he deny that UE4 isn't coming to Wii U. In fact, this comment could even be talking about Nintendo:

But we're saving the announcements until everything is lined up for when we can make a really big public splash. Obviously we're trying to line up Epic's roadmap up with a few other roadmaps whose existence we can't even acknowledge.

(GamesIndustry.biz) Thats why they aren't confirming what consoles the UE4 is going to. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all have very strict NDA's to stop developers like Epic to talk specific's about their consoles. So they are not going to piss off their partners. And the fact that they are saying E3 is going to be an eye opener, and that they are wanting to make a big splash when they can align themselves with a few other roadmaps.

So why, then, are you not excited? Why do you think the Wii U won't be capable of "next-gen" graphics? What source that actually goes on record of who they are say that the Wii U is under powered? We heard Gearbox say the Wii U is a very, powerful, powerful machine. We heard others say the same thing. And every BAD thing, for the most part, are from a source that does not go on record of who they are, or someone who doesn't know anything (Like the guy from Spike, who clearly has not seen the final dev kit of Wii U ... how does he know that Wii U is more for UE3 than UE4?)

Am I saying the Wii U will surpass the others? Nope, it probably won't. But it won't be the next Dreamcast. Worst case, it'll be the next 360. If Nintendo can find the right price, it'll sell like hotcakes because gamers will want the best graphics and Sony and Microsoft don't have it. If the price is not right, well .... not good. Fixable, like they fixed the 3DS situation, but not good.

But trust me, the Wii U will not fail on it's technical specs. If the POWER7 can not run UE4 .... God, I don't know what can.

EDIT: And Epic responds, saying just what I said: That they have not revealed what the UE4 will run on, besides PC. It's been posted on this forum, but here is the direct link http://mynintendonew...wii-u-strategy/ .

Edited by MorbidGod, 29 May 2012 - 10:10 PM.

Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#106 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

And why do you think it won't stand up to the Xbox 8 and PS4?

Because UE4 is not confirmed for Wii U? Well guess what, the Xbox 8 isn't confirmed UE4. And why would Epic say, "I like the Wii U. I think E3 2012 will be a big eye-opener for people." (Eurogamer.net). He did not confirm, though, nor did he deny that UE4 isn't coming to Wii U. In fact, this comment could even be talking about Nintendo:

(GamesIndustry.biz) Thats why they aren't confirming what consoles the UE4 is going to. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all have very strict NDA's to stop developers like Epic to talk specific's about their consoles. So they are not going to piss off their partners. And the fact that they are saying E3 is going to be an eye opener, and that they are wanting to make a big splash when they can align themselves with a few other roadmaps.

So why, then, are you not excited? Why do you think the Wii U won't be capable of "next-gen" graphics? What source that actually goes on record of who they are say that the Wii U is under powered? We heard Gearbox say the Wii U is a very, powerful, powerful machine. We heard others say the same thing. And every BAD thing, for the most part, are from a source that does not go on record of who they are, or someone who doesn't know anything (Like the guy from Spike, who clearly has not seen the final dev kit of Wii U ... how does he know that Wii U is more for UE3 than UE4?)

Am I saying the Wii U will surpass the others? Nope, it probably won't. But it won't be the next Dreamcast. Worst case, it'll be the next 360. If Nintendo can find the right price, it'll sell like hotcakes because gamers will want the best graphics and Sony and Microsoft don't have it. If the price is not right, well .... not good. Fixable, like they fixed the 3DS situation, but not good.

But trust me, the Wii U will not fail on it's technical specs. If the POWER7 can not run UE4 .... God, I don't know what can.

EDIT: And Epic responds, saying just what I said: That they have not revealed what the UE4 will run on, besides PC. It's been posted on this forum, but here is the direct link http://mynintendonew...wii-u-strategy/ .

I have been following devs comments about Wii U, and indeed most if not all legit sources are positive. So I know it won't be weak. But other next-gen consoles will release later on, so will certainly outpower it. The question though is: by how much? I will be happy with Dreamcast position, which is most likely.

But it's better to be slightly more pessimistic these days, right before E3. I want to be surprised instead of dissapointed.
No sig.

#107 Guest

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Okami, Metroid, Mega Man X

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

First of all, I have just returned to the Wii U Forums, so don't blame me for not having read all new posts you guys made in the last year. It's your fault for posting! D;

Jokes aside, let me put my inner fanboy on chains now...

Basically, what we want to know is:
  • How will the Wii U compare to PS360?
  • How will the Wii U compare to "Orbis" and "Durango"?

1. Well, not much to say about that. The Xbox 360 and the PS3 are old consoles. Even though they were good when they were released, they're old now. Really old. Ever heard of Moore's Law? Let me quote Wikipedia for that:

[quote name=']Moore's law is a rule of thumb in the history of computing hardware whereby the number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on an integrated circuit doubles approximately every two years. The period often quoted as "18 months" is due to Intel executive David House' date=' who predicted that period for a doubling in chip performance (being a combination of the effect of more transistors and their being faster).[/quote']
What does this mean for us?

[quote name='Wikipedia]The capabilities of many digital electronic devices are strongly linked to Moore's law: processing speed' date=' memory capacity, sensors and even the number and size of pixels in digital cameras.[7] All of these are improving at (roughly) exponential rates as well (see Other formulations and similar laws).[/quote]
Yeah, admittedly, the speed of development is currently slowing down, and won't be as fast anymore in the future. However, I think you see that there's no way Nintendo can end up with hardware less capable than the hardware PS360 use. Heck, if they really wanted to have a less capable console, it would probably cost a lot more than one with up-to-date specs, because it would be an antique, lol.

2. This one isn't as funny anymore :(
There are numerous reasons for that. Firstly, Moore's Law again. Their hardware would be better for the same price just because it's newer. Also, there are some other points, and I have another source for that. Specifically, NeoGAF. Most infos on there can be seen as rather valid, as the mods on NeoGAF ban anyone claiming stuff they can't prove, but I advise you to take it with a grain of salt nevertheless.

The information is hidden somewhere in their enormous Wii U speculation thread #6, and I'm not gonna try to find it. HERE's the link for those of you who're bored or have too much time.

So, that's what the apparent insiders on NeoGAF claim: The Xbox 720/"Durango" will most likely have the best specs, just like the first Xbox had, while the Wii U will either be the next generation's PS2 or Dreamcast. That's where the insiders don't agree; one says it's probably more like the PS2, while the other claims it's more like the Dreamcast, and the difference in graphics will be noticeable.

The reason for that seems to be Microsoft giving in to Epic's demands of better hardware. Sony, according to the guys who know too much than is good for them, or at least claim to do so, hasn't decided yet and as such the PS4/"Orbis" will most likely be in between the Wii U and the 720, leaning more towards the 720. So, the Wii U will probably be the weakest console yet again, but not nearly as weak as the Wii was compared to PS360.

Well, I'm not up-to-date to how up-to-date you guys are, lol, so I'll just comment on the UE4 as if you had never heard of it, alright? The point is, UE4 isn't about how powerful the systems are, but about what you can do with them, generally speaking. The Wii didn't get UE3 because it didn't have programmable shaders. Now, the Wii U's GPU is rather new (compared to the other consoles' GPUs), so it MIGHT work with UE4. We don't know yet. However, it's not about specs, so don't think the Wii U is gonna suck just because it doesn't support UE4, most devs will probably stick to UE3 for some years anyway.

Basically, the Wii U will almost inevitably be inferior to Sony's/MS' consoles, but we'll have a pretty nice time for the first few years of it's lifetime, and it probably won't be as bad as it was with the Wii anyway (concerning 3rd parties). Keep in mind that Nintendo aims for a 5 year cycle, whereas MS and Sony most likely want their consoles to be more future-proof. In this case, we might get a "Wii Us" or whatever 5 years after the Wii U, and this one would be superior to the competition yet again.

Oh, and BTW, auto save has to be a blessing of Hylia herself! I accidentally deleted everything instead of posting, but it didn't get lost! YAY!

Posted Image

#108 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

I have been following devs comments about Wii U, and indeed most if not all legit sources are positive. So I know it won't be weak. But other next-gen consoles will release later on, so will certainly outpower it. The question though is: by how much? I will be happy with Dreamcast position, which is most likely.

But it's better to be slightly more pessimistic these days, right before E3. I want to be surprised instead of dissapointed.

That's true, however developers are often limited in what they can do. Third parties can't always make exclusives, generally have to make games for all consoles. There is no doubt in my mind that the Wii u can handle UE4. As long as it can, developers will make for Wii U then port, maybe enhancing the graphics a bit. The only games that will have better graphics are exclusives.

Of course, that is worse case, assuming of course the others don't release there console until 2014. I think its likely one will release Nov 2013 (Sony, because they have more to loose). Microsoft will more than likely release there console last and will be more powerful.

Anyway, just don't give up hope. Nothing wrong with low expectations.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#109 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

That's true, however developers are often limited in what they can do. Third parties can't always make exclusives, generally have to make games for all consoles. There is no doubt in my mind that the Wii u can handle UE4. As long as it can, developers will make for Wii U then port, maybe enhancing the graphics a bit. The only games that will have better graphics are exclusives.

Of course, that is worse case, assuming of course the others don't release there console until 2014. I think its likely one will release Nov 2013 (Sony, because they have more to loose). Microsoft will more than likely release there console last and will be more powerful.

Anyway, just don't give up hope. Nothing wrong with low expectations.

I have faith in Nintendo, I always had. So they will do great and win the console wars again, even though it will not be much of a fight for Nintendo: just laying back and watch the others fight a spec-war...

But the chance is that a lot of people will be dissapointed with E3. The reason why: Wii U might be powerful, but devs need to know how to use them. Launch 360 games looked horrible (compared to games now). So after E3 I guess we should still be there to open peoples minds..
No sig.

#110 Jelloman

Jelloman

Spiny

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • NNID:dmanomic
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA mario metriod

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Only 2h 40 min remain

1260993809_bouncing_jello_thumb.gif