Photo

[Speculation] Skype - there's is deffinetely potential.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

I love Skype, so do many here. I use it for all my chat needs, I never use in game PSN and Xbox 360 party chat. When Microsoft bought out Skype I was happy, because they would incorporate it into Xbox Live and I believe this could lead to people on any platform to chat with Xbox Live users. Now recently the Skype app for PS Vita was released and despite being a MS service it is fully functional and doesn't offer comprises from what I have gathered. http://www.theverge....o-a-phone-today. The article from the verge states that Skype runs in the background, and can receive calls while playing games. The game is suspended while your calling. In a previous topic I said my request would be from the Wii U apps (if the rumour is correct) to be running while playing a game or have Skype deeply integrated into the online system for the Wii U, I doubt people want a dedicated app just for video calling, I'm pretty sure we'd like to enjoy it as a service not an app. The reason behind the vita not being able to run it simulataneously while playing a game is of course the strain that would be put on the system. Hopefully this doesn't cause a performance hit if it ever comes to the Wii U in the way that I have described and wished it to be as.

#2 Gameboysoadvance

Gameboysoadvance

Blooper

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

I love Skype, so do many here. I use it for all my chat needs, I never use in game PSN and Xbox 360 party chat. When Microsoft bought out Skype I was happy, because they would incorporate it into Xbox Live and I believe this could lead to people on any platform to chat with Xbox Live users. Now recently the Skype app for PS Vita was released and despite being a MS service it is fully functional and doesn't offer comprises from what I have gathered. http://www.theverge....o-a-phone-today. The article from the verge states that Skype runs in the background, and can receive calls while playing games. The game is suspended while your calling. In a previous topic I said my request would be from the Wii U apps (if the rumour is correct) to be running while playing a game or have Skype deeply integrated into the online system for the Wii U, I doubt people want a dedicated app just for video calling, I'm pretty sure we'd like to enjoy it as a service not an app. The reason behind the vita not being able to run it simulataneously while playing a game is of course the strain that would be put on the system. Hopefully this doesn't cause a performance hit if it ever comes to the Wii U in the way that I have described and wished it to be as.

Love the idea but I don't think Nintendo will be going the Sony route. They are just not into paying the competition.

#3 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

I don't see why it shouldn't come, but at the other hand it's Nintendo we're talking about.. At the moment they ehm... Are not the best in online strategies.
No sig.

#4 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:
    mario, mariokart, minecraft

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

they'll probably create their own version of skype.

I don't see why it shouldn't come, but at the other hand it's Nintendo we're talking about.. At the moment they ehm... Are not the best in online strategies.

hopefully, nintendo network will be better. i recall Reggie saying it will be able to compete with competition, as mentioned in this vid

Posted Image

PM me if you want to add me on 3ds

#5 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

I hope the Wii U will have skype or an equivalent of skype on the system. I can imagine me playing a game and than my bro goes online and we have a little co-op with each other while video calling.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#6 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Nintendo would not use Skype as that will be paying Microsoft. They would probably make their own lite equivalent.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#7 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

yeah, but I wanna call my parents on skype without getting up because I'm a lazy bum lol. I don't care who they pay, the networking they generate by putting skype on the console outweighs the miniscule payments to their competition. that may be rather opinionated, but tis what i want... NEED!

#8 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Nintendo would not use Skype as that will be paying Microsoft. They would probably make their own lite equivalent.

PS Vita has it now.

#9 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

PS Vita has it now.

Maybe because SONY has agreed to pay Microsoft a sum of money to have it on.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#10 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Maybe because SONY has agreed to pay Microsoft a sum of money to have it on.

Despite Skype being part of Microsoft, it is still Skype, they will support other platforms as they did before and as they continue into the future. The reason why the deal took long to seal is because many objected that MS would reduce support for other platforms. With MS stating that Skype will stay as Skype and continue to support other platforms, they practically said they won't do harm to the product.

I doubt Sony paid MS, they have partnered with Skype before and asked them to do it again. Microsoft doesn't come into it even thought they own Skype.EDIT: Skype is a service that Microsoft provides, remember its a service, in their best interest they would want to push Skype to as many platforms as possible. Microsoft and SONY are not just gaming companies, they may be rivals in that division but as a whole company they get along despite being competition. I really see this as being in the best interest of MS and Nintendo

Edited by Usman Mohammad, 24 April 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#11 Gameboysoadvance

Gameboysoadvance

Blooper

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Despite Skype being part of Microsoft, it is still Skype, they will support other platforms as they did before and as they continue into the future. The reason why the deal took long to seal is because many objected that MS would reduce support for other platforms. With MS stating that Skype will stay as Skype and continue to support other platforms, they practically said they won't do harm to the product.

I doubt Sony paid MS, they have partnered with Skype before and asked them to do it again. Microsoft doesn't come into it even thought they own Skype.EDIT: Skype is a service that Microsoft provides, remember its a service, in their best interest they would want to push Skype to as many platforms as possible. Microsoft and SONY are not just gaming companies, they may be rivals in that division but as a whole company they get along despite being competition. I really see this as being in the best interest of MS and Nintendo

Um.. When you pay Skype you pay Microsoft(cause see they sorta kinda own it now). There's no way around it. I do think that there is some sort of courtship going on with Sony and Microsoft only because of the rumors the xbox720 will use bluray(Sony owns the most patents and makes the most from licenseing fees), and PS4 will support DX11(Microsoft license). Time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!