Photo

For those of you who don't check your emails.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

Wii U Forums

Hello You,

Over the past week or so, one of my other websites, http://mlpforums.com/, has been smitten by numerous DDoS attacks. Unfortunately, because MLP Forums shares its server with TheWiiU.com and Wii U Go, both of these sites were affected by the attack and brought offline as well.

If you aren't sure what a DDoS attack is, Wikipiedia has a good explanation: http://en.wikipedia....tributed_attack

The first attack took place on Friday, April 27, and was of sufficient magnitude to take down not only my server but knock out the hosting company's entire network. Following a second attack on Wednesday, May 2, the hosting company terminated my service and asked me to leave, for the attacks were causing downtime for all of their customers. I've moved MLP Forums, TheWiiU.com, and Wii U Go over to the server I hold with another hosting company for all of my clients, but the attacker has followed us over and continued to hammer away at this server as well.

The good news is that our new hosting company is large enough to not terminate our service because of the attacks. The bad news is that the attacks still saturate our server's connection and manage to make it unresponsive.

I'm currently in talks with my hosting company to see if they can provide any kind of solution or defensive measure against the attacks; but it is also not unreasonable to expect that the attacks will eventually end. Until either of these outcomes occur, we may continue to suffer intermittent downtime or slowdown as the attacks come and go.

I apologize for the inconvenience that this has been causing, but I'm doing everything in my power to get things running as smoothly again as they were before.

~Feld0

TheWiiU.com - Founder, Head Admin
Wii U Go - Founder, Editor-in-Chief

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#2 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

I am one of the people who didn't check my email.

I will do it next time something happens.

#3 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hmmm, makes me wonder who this person is, and why they have the need to do these attacks.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#4 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hmmm, makes me wonder who this person is, and why they have the need to do these attacks.

It's likely more than one person. With a massive DDOS attack on a known community, it is usually always a group.

#5 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

It's likely more than one person. With a massive DDOS attack on a known community, it is usually always a group.

Yeah that is true, butdo they really hate ponies that much to do this or they just want to be ***holes .
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#6 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Yeah that is true, butdo they really hate ponies that much to do this or they just want to be ***holes .

Both.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#7 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Both.

Can I say my fate in humanity is decreasing.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F

#8 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Can I say my fate in humanity is decreasing.

I would say that, but mine hit rock bottom years ago.
Posted Image

#9 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for posting this man, I really think Feld0 should write this on the forum instead though.
Posted Image

#10 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for posting this man, I really think Feld0 should write this on the forum instead though.

You mean the same forum that keeps shutting down randomly?
E-Mail was the more reliable method.
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#11 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

You mean the same forum that keeps shutting down randomly?
E-Mail was the more reliable method.

Hahaha, good point.
Posted Image

#12 EternalDeadman

EternalDeadman

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo,and Sony

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thanks, I only check my email once a week, so this helped.
3DS Friendcode:0688-5291-6191
3DS Username:Knightwing
PSN: EternalDeadman

#13 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

There is a couple of reason why this is happening, and the owner of the website, hopefully already sued and reported that for further investigation.

1st) a company who want to create a similar website, but unfortunately this website is very popular and destroys their plans..
2nd) Wii U is strong, not casual machine this time, and many things have being told about it. Xbox360 and PS3 sales are going to freeze soon enough, and however as many bad rumors popping up like mushrooms, about wii U is weak or worst than the current... Some of us fighting this rumors and proving they are wrong.. surely they dont want that.. is it?
3rd) Moderator should check his friends and enemies...

Something similar but less aggressive, a friend of mine registered and owns now (he did 2 years before the official release) the official starcraft 2 page in my country.. lol.. he is an extreme fan of starcraft 2. When he did, he received several attacks from others to. But in a lower scale. At the end, he've made it...

There is 2 things you can do.. Sue them in internet crime services, and have the strength to keep up with it, for a while.

Edited by Orion, 07 May 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#14 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

1st) a company who want to create a similar website, but unfortunately this website is very popular and destroys their plans..
2nd) Wii U is strong, not casual machine this time, and many things have being told about it. Xbox360 and PS3 sales are going to freeze soon enough, and however as many bad rumors popping up like mushrooms, about wii U is weak or worst than the current... Some of us fighting this rumors and proving they are wrong.. surely they dont want that.. is it?

The attacks are not for thewiiu.com, they're for Feld0's other website, mlpforums.com

They both share the same server, therefore they're both affected.

Edited by Waller Cross, 07 May 2012 - 10:13 AM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#15 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

that doesnt change my original statement.. lol :) except number 2...

Edited by Orion, 07 May 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#16 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I wasn't trying to change your original statement, I was just pointing that out.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#17 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

that doesnt change my original statement.. lol :) except number 2...

I think it's a bunch of pony haters.
Posted Image

#18 GeneralCraezy

GeneralCraezy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, RPGs, Nintendo, SE.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

I think it's a bunch of pony haters.

That could be anyone ;)

Posted Image

#19 BIOS

BIOS

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

At this point and time, I tend to look down on DDOSers. Not because it's a bad thing to do, but because it's old, and quickly becoming obsolete. In fact a DDOS won't really do any significant damage to small sites like this; they will always come back up, same as it was.

There are much better methods to crack a website then a DDOS. SQLi, XSS, DNS, and RFI. All of those are better then a DDOS, yet they insist on using their simple skiddy software.

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hijacking a page is more difficult.
Denial of Service does exactly what you want it to do on the tin, and is as easy as pressing F5.

We weren't targeted, Bronies were.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!