Photo

For those of you who don't check your emails.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

Bronies must be really hated if people are willing to destroy a website based on My Little Pony.
Who the heck can be bothered to do that?

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#22 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:16 AM

Bronies must be really hated if people are willing to destroy a website based on My Little Pony.
Who the heck can be bothered to do that?

Why take down PSN?
Why defend a console to the death?
Why anything?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#23 BIOS

BIOS

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

I guess it's just me, but I still find a DDOS to be the easy way out. It doesn't cause any real damage to small websites like the mlp forums, other then temporarily delay postings.

#24 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

It caused their hosting company to kick them off their servers.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#25 BIOS

BIOS

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

But in the end it always comes back, nothing is lost.

And if their server doesn't have proper DDOS protection yet, then it's best that they find a new one.

And while I know that it's technically impossible to be 100% protected from DDOS attacks. There are plenty of measures that can be taken to prevent them from happening. A popular method is iptables.

Edited by BIOS, 11 May 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#26 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Why take down PSN?
Why defend a console to the death?
Why anything?

I guess the immense power of hate and pride is enough to make someone do the above.

Edited by Joshua, 11 May 2012 - 10:14 PM.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#27 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

And while I know that it's technically impossible to be 100% protected from DDOS attacks. There are plenty of measures that can be taken to prevent them from happening. A popular method is iptables.

In the end, a sheer amount of anonymous users can still take down a site with iptables. They've done it before with government run sites, so MLP should be just as easy for them with less possibilities of legal action.

#28 BIOS

BIOS

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

In the end, a sheer amount of anonymous users can still take down a site with iptables. They've done it before with government run sites, so MLP should be just as easy for them with less possibilities of legal action.

In the end the point is that it's always smart to take precautions.

P.S. I doubt the botnet that attacked MLP forms is the size of the botnet that was needed to take down a government site.

Here I found some stuff for you guys to look over. Maybe it will help.

http://www.unixsurgeon.com/kb/how-to-prevent-from-ddos.html

http://deflate.medialayer.com/

http://seclists.org/basics/2012/Feb/131

Of course, Most options will hinge on how far you are willing to go. So I suggest taking some time to think about if it's worth it, and if the attackers are likely to strike again.

Edited by BIOS, 13 May 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#29 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

P.S. I doubt the botnet that attacked MLP forms is the size of the botnet that was needed to take down a government site.

Of course, that's a given. I'm just saying that if the MLP forums can still be taken down even with enough security measures... The Equestria Daily and Ponychan sites probably have better security than MLP forums as they are larger targets and I almost have never heard of them being down.

#30 BIOS

BIOS

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Of course, that's a given. I'm just saying that if the MLP forums can still be taken down even with enough security measures...

I know, I acknowledge the fact that with a large enough botnet you could theoretically take down whatever site you so choose. I just want to give some ideas of preventing DDOS attacks, so that if the botnet is small enough, we won't see this problem again -- hopefully.

#31 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:15 AM

Of course, Most options will hinge on how far you are willing to go. So I suggest taking some time to think about if it's worth it, and if the attackers are likely to strike again.

I think they've been under attack all but constantly for the past month.
http://mlpforums.com...rs/#entry337644

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#32 BIOS

BIOS

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

I think they've been under attack all but constantly for the past month.
http://mlpforums.com...rs/#entry337644

It seems that they're currently doing better on their new sever. Anyways, it may still be a good idea to think this over.

#33 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

But in the end it always comes back, nothing is lost.

And if their server doesn't have proper DDOS protection yet, then it's best that they find a new one.

One does not simply get a server with "proper" DDOS protection. To be frank, "properly" DDOS-protected servers are well beyond my budget, and there's a good reason most hosting companies don't offer any such protection - the necessary hardware to implement it properly is extremely expensive (the idea is that you want to mitigate the attack before it reaches the server it is targeted at).

In the end the point is that it's always smart to take precautions.

Here I found some stuff for you guys to look over. Maybe it will help.

http://www.unixsurge...-from-ddos.html

http://deflate.medialayer.com/

http://seclists.org/...cs/2012/Feb/131

I've set up Deflate, and CSF's anti-DDOS measures are already configured. The botnet that attacked MLP Forums was, at any rate, large enough to create a 1 Gbps UDP flood.

Of course, that's a given. I'm just saying that if the MLP forums can still be taken down even with enough security measures... The Equestria Daily and Ponychan sites probably have better security than MLP forums as they are larger targets and I almost have never heard of them being down.

Equestria Daily is hosted on Blogger, so asking someone to DDOS it is pretty much asking them to DDOS Google. As for Ponychan, they've fallen prey to DDOS attacks in the past.

The attacks do seem to have subsided, at any rate. Combined with the awesome new dedicated server I moved everything to, things should be running faster and smoother than ever before.

#34 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

It's good to know my favourite site will still flow like a breeze.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!