10 replies to this topic

#1 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

This is a little news tidbit I have learned from talking to an EB Games store manager in the Toronto location I frequent. There is no Wii U rumor or news section so I posted it in hardware. A mod can move it anywhere.

Every time I go to EB Games to buy or trade-in (about every two weeks) I ask the cashier if they are taking Wii U preorders yet? This has been going on since it was announced last June. The two managers that know me as a regular are close and tell me some insider info. Today, I asked when they usually get preorders up for a new console. She said to me, and I am paraphrasing here "Generally, we get SKU's after E3. The Nintendo Reps have been telling us it's coming out in the fall, and that means we need an SKU in the system soon." I told her, Nintendo has already announced they will not reveal a price or release date at E3 so it's unlikely they will have a price point and she responded by saying "The thing is scheduled for the fall, and it would be insane if Nintendo didn't give us an SKU for our system. With the Wii, Nintendo gave us an SKU after E3 and we just held a placeholder price until September, so I imagine it will be the same with the Wii U". So then I joked about how I don't want to camp out for a pre-order and be involved in that zoo-like stampede that was the Wii launch. She then informed me "Give us a call after all of E3 is done, and we should have an SKU in the system and will be accepting preorders by then, not later then the summer."

I then asked if I could preorder any games, and she said we only have 3 in the system for the Wii U, Assassin's Creed III and a couple of ports were all that were there, Darksiders II wasn't (the one I was interested in).

So what we can gather from this is, based on what Nintendo reps are saying to EB Games (Canadian ones anyway) is that the Wii U is definitely coming in the fall (so not chance of a late summer release like August or early September) and preorders should be coming soon to EB Games (Gamestop in the USA) after E3.

Now I am no insider or anything, I just have a good relationship with my local gamestop and the manager told me what she knew about the Wii U and used her info of the last console generation of when pre-orders usually start taking place (taking into account the Wii, 3DS, and Vita launch as the most recent launches. Nintendo handles thing's differently than Sony though when it comes to retailers knowing info). So take this all with a grain of salt and don't go sending me hate mail if you can't pre-order a Wii U by the end of June.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

What's this all aboot?
Of course Nintendo will tell people and representatives of companies when to expect the new console.

This is what e3 is for.

Edited by Nollog, 20 May 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

What's this all aboot?
Of course Nintendo will tell people and representatives of companies when to expect the new console.

This is what e3 is for.

I know that, I'm just giving a heads up on when Pre-orders should become available for it and what games can be pre-ordered.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#4 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to preorder mine! :D

#5 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

Cool!

So when does fall officially start?

#6 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

When you preorder a console is it shipped or reserved??

Posted Image

#7 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Well I was going to pre-order the Wii U the day after E3 regardless. Not from Gamestop/EB games though lol. Also Iwata said NO PRICE WILL BE SAID AT E3. He didnt say ANYTHING about not saying a release date at E3.

Fall is September, October, and November.

Cool!

[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#8 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

When you preorder a console is it shipped or reserved??

depends on the retailer
Posted Image

#9 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

What's this all aboot?

This is what e3 is for.

I see what you did there :)

depends on the retailer

usually reserved. I think mass production of Wii U has started this month now that the v5 devkits are considered final. Most of the time it is reserved and then shipped a few days before the street date. My EB Games got the PS3 and Wii about 3 days before they were allowed to release them.
Posted Image

#10 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

Very cool, good detective work my friend.
Posted Image

#11 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Cool!

Scientifically? September 21st-December 21st

lol

But retail wise, fall usually means before black friday or Novemberish, maybe before halloween. So around September 1st-November 15th (approx.) Usually, retailers consider November 1st-December 31st the holiday season. Nintendo's last two consoles were released in the third sunday of November, that is why the most recent rumor is November 18th, 2012 (seems to close to xmas for me though)

Edited by 10k, 20 May 2012 - 03:01 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!